Recording Cannot Be Scheduled

Started by Spongbo, August 18, 2005, 10:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spongbo

Hi,

I'm a couple of days into a trial run of Iceguide for MCE, and I've had this problem twice now (once last night, once tonight).

When I try to schedule a recording - it's only happened at around this time of night so far - I get Error 23, or a message like:

Recording Cannot Be Scheduled
The recording cannot be scheduled because Media Center is unable to access information in the Guide. Please restart the computer and try again. If the problem persists, try manually downloading the guide.

If I try to manually trigger a guide download at that point, it tries and fails.

Last time this happened, I didn't actually have to restart anything before it started working again - I just tried it later, and it was fine. But it's something new with IceGuide - the last couple of guide programs didn't have the same problem.

Exiting and reopening Eshell doesn't change the situation.

If I had to guess, I'd think it happened if another show is already being recorded. It worked fine until this evening's shows started being recorded, but that's circumstantial.

Any ideas how to diagnose and fix it?

Spongbo

And it again fixed itself later.

If I had to guess, I'd think it was while another show was recording, it's hard to tag something to record. I'll play more later.

pvogel

Any further information would be much appreciated. We're running some tests as well.

Peter

pvogel

We have had a close look at this now, and run many tests.  So far we have not seen any problem.

Furthermore we have not had any other reports of similar issues.

If any other users reading this have experienced the same trouble, please let us know!

Meanwhile, I wonder if you have any other software loaded that might be upsetting the operation of MCE?  Have you installed any "hacks" such as guide importers?

I don;t suppose you have another MCE system availabel to do a fresh install on?

Please let us know if you get any further clues that might help track this down, but it could well be an MCE issue unrelated to the guide data.

Peter

Spongbo

I have used EPGRunner and BladeRunnerPro previously on the same system, with reasonably good results. They're now removed. I haven't used any other hacky things.

If it fails again I'll see if I can get some diagnostics (or just dump the eshell process) at the time.

I'll look around for ways of re-setting (or re-initializing) the MCE guide database, see what happens.

Thanks!

Shane

I had it happen a few times when I first moved to the new ice integrated MCE guide (from quickguide). The issue occurred for me pretty regularly when I hit the record button whilst highlighting something in the guide (rather than selecting it and choosing "Record").

Since then I have re-installed the OS as I had some other system instabilities. The issue hasn't re-occurred since then.

However, I do have an error 23 pop up sometimes when MCE tries to download the guide and fails. Exiting MCE and restarting normally fixes it but it is only a hack-fix... I'd rather it didn't happen.

Regards,
Shane.
Shuttle SB83G5M (P4 630 nVidia 6600) running Vista Premium with:
Hauppauge Nova-T 500 MCE Tuner|Ice TV Guide|PIMP|Buffalo LinkStation HD-H160LAN & HD-HG300LAN|Xbox 360 MCE

mrees

I too am getting this problem.
Its starting to happen probably at least once a week.
I am NOT running Ru2, I dont have any real intentions on upgrading to RU2 yet.

Has any1 else experienced this?
Has anyone found a fix?

mrees

Hello ICE,

Is there a fix for this problem Yet?
Its a very frustrating error to receive as only a reboot fixes the issue.
Ive seen this problem occur on many people's MCE systems.

Please help us locate a fix

Thankyou

mrees

I have now also seen this problem occur with a machine running RU2

If anyone else is receiving this error, please also reply to this topic and let ICE know so they can help us find a fix.

Thanks
mrees

pvogel

We have had a few reports of this problem and as far as I know it is not peculiar to Iceguide.  I am making some more enquiries and will get back to you with any findings.

Peter Vogel, CTO IceTV

mrees

Thanks Peter

Just as a side note: When I was running Bladerunner Pro for some time, I never experienced these issues.
The only times I could be sure it happened was after ICE was installed.
Of course thats not to say its strictly an ICE issue. It may be something simple such as a software conflict or a wrong version of .NET installed. I havent had a lot of time to disect a MCE install and play. Its a little hard when the problem is occuring at random points.

Any insight though would be very handy

Thanks for the reply

mrees

Any progression on this issue?

Regards,
mrees

pvogel

From my enquiries, I believe this is a known MCE issue. Might be worth posting a question on XPMediacentre or similar MCE forum.

Ice guide does not involve any extra software running on your machine, the installer simply points a registry setting to our server so I can;t see how Ice could be causing a conflict.

There are a couple of people reporting this problem but it doesn't seem to be very widerspread so it sure would be interesting to know what circumstances bring on this annoying problem.   Sorry I can't be of any help. Hopefully Microsoft will fix it in due course.

Peter

mrees

hmmm
Does sound very weird that I have never received the error when not using ICE.
I Used Bladerunner for a long time, and only since upgrading to ICE have I started to receive the error.
Ive never seen it before ICE.

Shane

Shuttle SB83G5M (P4 630 nVidia 6600) running Vista Premium with:
Hauppauge Nova-T 500 MCE Tuner|Ice TV Guide|PIMP|Buffalo LinkStation HD-H160LAN & HD-HG300LAN|Xbox 360 MCE