New PIMPmyMCE client ready for testing

Started by Daniel Hall at IceTV, July 04, 2006, 10:40:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel Hall at IceTV

A new PIMPmyMCE client is up on the server and ready for testing.

The fixes/changes include:

- Moved the DVB fix code to its own executable.  The pimp app will exit and run this EXE, then be relaunched after.

- Added pre/post padding options to the config tab.  Can now set these manually for all pimp scheduled programs.

- A few other misc bugfixes and error handling.

The new client can be downloaded from http://www.icetv.com.au/cgi-bin/downloads.cgi?op=get_file&number=13
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.

Shane

Quote from: Daniel Hall on July 04, 2006, 10:40:51 PM
- Moved the DVB fix code to its own executable.  The pimp app will exit and run this EXE, then be relaunched after.

- Added pre/post padding options to the config tab.  Can now set these manually for all pimp scheduled programs.

- A few other misc bugfixes and error handling.

Fantastic stuff guys - so far the DVB fix being a seperate executable (close, run then relaunch PIMP) has solved the issues I was having (PIMP crashes etc) running this via PIMP... now all sorted (will keep you posted over the coming days).

What I am really excited about is the pre/post soft padding support in here - fixing something that Microsoft should have allowed us to change within Media Center but didn't...

For those people who don't know what this is:
This is a real benefit to everyone as this now allows Media Center to record over the guide specified time (before and/or after) by the time you set in PIMP, but without locking the tuner up like the per program settings in Media Center currently do (which is called hard padding). If you used the Media Center option and set it to record 10 mins over, it would record no matter what else was in your guide either on the same channel or a different one, often meaning you get one whole program but miss another altogether.

Great Stuff!

Thanks,
Shane.
Shuttle SB83G5M (P4 630 nVidia 6600) running Vista Premium with:
Hauppauge Nova-T 500 MCE Tuner|Ice TV Guide|PIMP|Buffalo LinkStation HD-H160LAN & HD-HG300LAN|Xbox 360 MCE

roman

Dudes

Uninstalled my old one and installed this new one

PROBLEM
Does this minimize down to a small icon next to the clocK?
because mine won't do it as previous version it did..

Any suggestions???

Thanks
Roman.

Shane

Mine is minimising down next to the clock, but is also sitting in my taskbar... yes this is different to the previous version where it just minimised next to the clock - Ice Team - is this a bug or by design?

Thanks,
Shane.
Hauppauge Nova-T 500 MCE Tuner|Ice TV Guide|PIMP|Buffalo LinkStation HD-H160LAN & HD-HG300LAN|Xbox 360 MCE

impact

Sounds great... always resisted change - but am going to have to rush home and try this new version out!!!

pvogel

Quote from: Shane on July 05, 2006, 03:27:51 PM
Mine is minimising down next to the clock, but is also sitting in my taskbar... yes this is different to the previous version where it just minimised next to the clock - Ice Team - is this a bug or by design?

Thanks,
Shane.

Sounds like a bug but I will get back to you after I've checked with Doug (who wrote it).

Peter

mattg

I have downloaded and installed ver 1.0.0.1,
I have the same problem, the program sits on the task bar, and not as a service, sitting next to my clock.

Also I would have thought the wrong program name bug would have been fixed!!
It still reads the wrong program name when viewing your scheduled programs via the PIMP web site.

Cheers

aswigon

Yes the bug with the guide show names is still in this version but I actually think the bug lies on the website as the correct times are scheduled for recording.

pvogel

Quote from: roman on July 05, 2006, 01:30:46 PM
PROBLEM
Does this minimize down to a small icon next to the clocK?
because mine won't do it as previous version it did..
Roman.

Doug advised me that mijnimising to the system tray was causing problems - he has disabled it for now in an effort to get the other fixes over and tested first, then he will revisit the issue.

Peter

pvogel

Quote from: aswigon on July 05, 2006, 05:10:06 PM
Yes the bug with the guide show names is still in this version but I actually think the bug lies on the website as the correct times are scheduled for recording.

We are having some trouble pinning this one down.  If someone can provide a couple of examples where the problem is visible for a show a few days in teh future it might give us more of a chance of tracking it down.

It seems to have something to do with timings changing, since the way the PIMP web UI displays the name is from reverse lookup of the guide base don times.

Perhaps it's to do with timezones or something?

Peter

aswigon

Hi Peter,

I did post screenshots when I posted in the thread I started the other day. I will post some additional ones in there now.

Thanks,

Andre

pvogel

We think we found the problem - it was in the client program so there is a new alpha 1.0.2 at
http://www.icetv.com.au/cgi-bin/downloads.cgi?op=get_file&number=13

Let's know if that fixes the problem for you.

I guess the fix will only apply to newly scheduled shows so you might need to delete the faulty scheduled entries.

Peter

dberrett

Just a quick note from the source... :)
Hold off on the version 1.0.2 posted above.  Somehow the 1.0.1 exe got pulled into the 1.0.2 installer, so the show-times fix won't show up. 
I've posted 1.0.3 internally, so hopefully that will make it up to the server soon.

As for the minimize-to-tray functionality, yes, it is currently disabled.  The problem I am seeing is that if the application is launched in minimized mode, it will then get internal Windows exceptions trying to restore it - thus making it impossible to restore it.  It always works fine if it was launched in normal mode.  I'm trying to find a work-around for the issue, so hopefully that will be back soon.

Thanks.
Doug

Shane

Thanks Doug.

Another issue I have found is with the padding. After a couple of days of testing it doesn't seem to be working.

I tried with just leaving my scheduled recordings as they were (with the expectation PIMP would "update" them with new padding info), and I have also tried removing all of my scheduled programs and re-scheduling them again after setting PIMP to post-pad for 10mins.

What I have found is that all programs are only post-padding for 4 mins, as per the setting in MCE.

Does PIMP constantly check the recordings.xml file to ensure the padding remains as set? Could MCE be setting it back to 4 mins?

Thanks,
Shane.

pvogel

The new PIMPmyMCE build is here for the moment http://www.icetv.com.au/support/IceTV_1.0.3.zip

I don't think anything has been changed re. padding.  Just the display of scheudled programs should now be corrected.

Cheers,

Peter