Sport/Motorsport/Movie tags

Started by mexiwi, October 05, 2005, 11:11:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mexiwi

Why are these tags handled differently to the others.

You go though the listings and find tags such as [Cartoon] [News] [Soap Opera] [Childrens] in the description of a show but Sport and it's sub-categories, and Movie appear in the tiltle as well.

Sometimes with nothing else in the tiltle, for example this Sunday where both the Bathurst 1000 and Japan F1 GP appear in the listing as SPORT: Motorsport.

I am using the guide with TED/S-Ice for my Topfield (via a Netgear WGT634U which I have to say is working splendidly).

Daniel Hall at IceTV

Hi Mexiwi,

The reason you see these differently is that we include both MOVIE and SPORT in the titles for the shows. The other tags listed are the genres which if using the iceguide tap would not be included as the Topfield itself doesn't support genres.

The reason you are seeing things such as [Cartoon],[News],[Soap Opera] and so on is because TEDS-ICE has added these genres to the descriptions.
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.

mexiwi

The problem is that "Sport: Motor Sport" is the only information in the title.

Once again this weekend the Indy 300 shows up in the listings as "SPORT: Motor Sport"

I go though the guide on the Toppy and it shows "SPORT: Motor Sport" as the title in the short and long descriptions.

The movie titles show up as "MOVIE: Romancing The Stone" so therefore I would expect the motorsport to show up as "SPORT: Motor sport: Lexmark Indy 300" for this weekend But it doesn't.

Can you also include what motorsport it is, I mean, the description for this weekends shows is pretty crap, doesn't even mention V8 Supercars which kinda messes up anyone with deamons trying to search for Keywords. Would have though CART, Champ Car and V8 Supercars would appear in a description for those events.

pvogel

I go though the guide on the Toppy and it shows "SPORT: Motor Sport" as the title in the short and long descriptions.

Some clarification: Do you mean there was no more detail in the long description??   Or are you saying that there is the required detail in the description, but you would llike some more detail in the show title?

Thanks

Peter

mexiwi

Some clarification: Do you mean there was no more detail in the long description??   Or are you saying that there is the required detail in the description, but you would llike some more detail in the show title?

Thanks

Peter

Both sort of  :-/

More info in the title is really what I would like.. At the moment, all that is displayed in the single channel title as on the left in the pic is "SPORT: Motor Sport", the extra stuff does show in the info panel on the right but this is not visible when you hit the red button to show the multi channel guide, and also is not visible in the record title.

As far as the additional info in the loing description, it would be nice if it was a V8 Supercar race to actually say it somewhere in the long description so that keyword scanners pick it up easily, be it any of the platforms.

pvogel

Both sort of  :-/

Thanks for the suggestions - our guide team have made some changes to the description as you requested, and will put more details in the titles where possible in the future.

Peter

dJOS

Im a little frustrated by this issue as well.

As I said in my email to Daniel, the Short Description is "SPORT: Motor Sport" and the type of motorsport, eg "V8 SuperCars", is in the full description. This is a royal pain and is the equivalent of movies being labled "MOVIE: Drama" imo.

How about, using this format as a compromise:

"SPORT: Motor Sport: V8 SuperCars"
"SPORT: Motor Sport: World Rally Champion Ship"
"SPORT: Motor Sport: A1 Grand Prix"
"SPORT: Motor Sport: F1 Grand Prix"

etc?

I have to set TEDS-ICE to search descriptions to find my favorite motosport events and my timers and recorded programs show up like this, if I have programmed sequential events,: "SPORT: Motor Sport
  • SPORT: Motor Sport" which is totally meaningless.

Derek.
    (apart from this ICE-Guide is fantastic)
My Home Theatre Project

Quad Tuner 7MC box now replaced by 2x TiVo's HD's by order of the Wife!

dJOS

OK I just installed ICE-Widget for Konfabulator and the "MotorSport" summary issue even occurs on it!!!

Here's proof from sunday's upcoming V8 Supercars - from this unless you know who Craig or Russell are, you cant tell what sporting event it is and this is exactly how it displays on the Toppy's Guide.  :'(

PLease ICE, fix the Summarys of MotorSport so it includes the Type of Motorsport?

My Home Theatre Project

dJOS

And to further highlight the inconsistancies in the treatment of MotorSport in ICE-Guide, check this pic out. Aside from not being able to tell what "SPORT: Motor Sport" is; If ICE were being consistant, the shows "TrackSide" & "SpeedWeek" would be also called "SPORT: Motor Sport" yet it isn't???????

Cmon, ICE is brilliant in every other respect, Please fix the formating for MotorSport! eg:

"SPORT: Motor Sport - V8 SuperCars"
"SPORT: Motor Sport - TrackSide"
"SPORT: Motor Sport - World Rally Champion Ship"
"SPORT: Motor Sport - A1 Grand Prix"
"SPORT: Motor Sport - F1 Grand Prix"
"SPORT: Motor Sport - ChampCars"
My Home Theatre Project

pvogel

I see the problem and have referred it to the guide team for review.

Peter

dJOS

Thankyou Peter, very much appreciated.  :)

Btw, another inconsistancy "Australian Fishing Championship", by ICE standards, should be "SPORT: Fishing"  :P
My Home Theatre Project

Daniel Hall at IceTV

Actually looking at that screen shot it seems more that the widget is not showing the episode description. I'll get it checked to make sure that information is included in the feed for the widget (it should be).

What does say a Simpsons episode look like in the widget?
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.

Daniel Hall at IceTV

Here's proof from sunday's upcoming V8 Supercars - from this unless you know who Craig or Russell are, you cant tell what sporting event it is and this is exactly how it displays on the Toppy's Guide.  :'(

Hi djos,

How are you getting the guide information into the Toppy? I have had a look in the guide on my Toppy here and looking at the V8 Supercars race in both JustEPG and in the standard Toppy guide it lists it as:

"Sport: Motorsport" (for the name of the show)
"V8 Supercars - Round 13, Phillip Island" (as the episode title, or short description)
"Looking at the points, it's hard to judge which driver will come out on top this year. Craig Lowndes, Russell Ingal and Marcus Ambrose are all possible contenders for the top spot. Tune in for the finale of the 2005 Supercar challenge." (as the extended information).

As I said I can't see that information in the screenshot of the widget posted, but it does show up in the Toppy guide if downloading the guide using either the Windows Loader or the Netgear (Wifi Network Bridge) deamon.
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.

dJOS

Hi Daniel, i use TEDS-ICE and you are correct that if you go into the info on the Toppy it does show the V8 Supercars label.

This still doesn't allow you to see, at a glance, in the EPG, TEDS-ICE or Konfabulator Widget which motor sport event is on. It also means that TEDS-ICE has to search description instead of summarys (stopping you from using abbreviations efectively) and you get the annoying sequential Timers with meaningless lables resulting in recordings like have been pointed out in previous posts.

To use another "SPORT" as an example of why motor sport should be treated differently - eg Cricket,  you dont get a one day event backed onto a test and ppl who follow the cricket usually know exactly what is coming up as there is only one event per Day. (Same Goes for Golf, Rugby, Gymnastics & Hockey)

EDIT: When you are standing around the water cooler during the week discussing recent sporting events, chances are you ask "so did you see the Cricket?" or "so did you see the Rugby?" but Im willing to bet you never hear "so did you see the Motor Sport?" - whenever to topic of Motor Sport comes up amongst my mates it's "so did you see the F1?" or "so did you see the V8 Supercars?" etc. The reason for this is the sheer amount of Motor Sport on 10, during the regular motor sport season it isn't uncommon for 10's line up on a sunday to be: ARC, WRC, TrackSide or V8 SuperCars, RPM and then late that night F1 or ChampCars.

Why cant Motor Sport events be formatted like this:

"Sport: Motorsport - V8 Supercars " (for the name of the show)
"Round 13, Phillip Island" (as the episode title, or short description)
"Looking at the points, it's hard to judge which driver will come out on top this year. Craig Lowndes, Russell Ingal and Marcus Ambrose are all possible contenders for the top spot. Tune in for the finale of the 2005 Supercar challenge." (as the extended information).

Surely that would be a far better solution?
My Home Theatre Project

pvogel

OK, how would this work:

Motor Sport: V8 SuperCars
Motor Sport: TrackSide
Motor Sport: World Rally Champion Ship
Motor Sport: A1 Grand Prix
Motor Sport: F1 Grand Prix
Motor Sport: ChampCars

Can anyone see this breaking anything?

Peter