Network Connection Issue

Started by Keith, October 14, 2023, 12:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raymondjpg

Quote from: Keith on November 23, 2023, 05:08:15 PMI have assigned a static IP through LibreELEC in the IceBox and will see what happens.
Unless I'm stating the obvious, make sure that the static IP is outside the range set by the router for the DHCP pool, to avoid any potential IP conflicts.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

Keith

Thanks raymondjpg.

I've never set a static IP address before, so you are not stating the obvious. I do think that I have set a static IP which falls in the DHCP range (xx.50) but had not been assigned to another device.

The Fritzbox manual states that the IP address range reserved for the DHCP server is xx.20 to xx.200 while the IPv4 addresses xx.2 to xx.254 are available for assignment. Should I change to an IP address to above xx.200 and below xx.254 to avoid a potential conflict?

Apologies that this is not directly IceBox related but I really do want to get this network problem sorted.

raymondjpg

Quote from: Keith on November 23, 2023, 10:05:51 PMShould I change to an IP address to above xx.200 and below xx.254 to avoid a potential conflict?
I think that would be your safest bet, given the DHCP range currently set in the router.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

IanL-S

Subtitles/Closed captions
Subtitles/closed captions sort of worked with LibreELEC 10, but have (in my experience) never worked in LibreELEC 11. They are in the transport stream but the Kodi media player refused to display them, even though they are listed. For some programs TeleText works (Kodi finds both CC and Teletext for some recordings), but it is not a solution.

WiFi Dropout

I have not had this issue with either the IceBox I got from IceTV or the BYOB ones I have built. The wifi is provided by guest wifi on my Asus router.

Update: Just had it happen on my IceTV IceBox. Do not usually have it on wifi but needed to do so for some beta testing. It may be that I made a mess of the wifi configuration on the IceBox itself. I have an intense aversion to using wifi with PVRs. Over the years I have had CAT 5e/6 installed in most rooms. I also have a TPLink PowerPlug which I use in other rooms when needed. End of update

I always have a static/reserved connection on the router - doing it on individual devices is nowhere near as reliable as it can result in IP conflicts which may be what is happening here.
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

blip

Quote from: Keith on November 23, 2023, 05:08:15 PMI have checked the Fritzbox logs and have numerous messages "Clearing the internet connection briefly to prevent the internet service provider from disconnecting you in the immediate future" then "Internet connection cleared" then a few seconds later "Internet connection established successfully....". That explains the internet dropouts.

It's been a while since I had a Fritzbox but I'm fairly sure there is a setting to disable the regular clearing of the internet connection.

prl

Quote from: blip on November 25, 2023, 10:15:56 AMIt's been a while since I had a Fritzbox but I'm fairly sure there is a setting to disable the regular clearing of the internet connection.

On my FritzBox 7590 (firmware 7.57), in Internet>Account Information>Internet connection>Change Connection Settings, there's a radio button to select between "Maintain permanently (recommended for flat rates)" and "Clear idle connection (recommended for time- or usage-based rates)". I have the first one selected, and I don't have the "Delay disconnection by provider to the period between" checkbox ticked.

What appears in the Account Information screen may depend on your provider and connection type (I use iiNet's own VDSL2 network in Canberra).

My 7590 reconnected this morning, but the reason was "DSL not responding (No DSL connection)", not "Clearing the internet...".

The last time I had a disconnection was 3 days ago, but that was because of a power outage in our area. The previous continuous connection time was 60 days.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

Keith

Thanks blip and prl for your advice.

My Fritzbox had "Maintain permanently (recommended for flat rates)" checked as well as "Delay disconnection by provider to the period between".

I have unchecked the "Delay disconnection..." button and will see what happens.

prl

If that doesn't work, there may be someone in the Whirlpool AVM (makers of the FritzBox) forum who may be able to help: https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum/82?g=295

You'll need to have a Whirlpool account to post, but you can view without an account. I find Whirlpool's search function all but useless, but you may be able to search it for the error message you see by using a Google search with a +site:whirlpool.net.au restriction (only search for matches in the whirlpool.net.au domain).
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing