IceTV EPG Start Finish Times - misses the end of a program

Started by Doonks, April 21, 2010, 12:59:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doonks

Hi,

I am a brand new DPP2 owner (4 days new in fact), and this is my first ever PVR. I live in Melbourne.

I was able to get it up and running and immediately took the 1 month free trial of IceTV. I have successfully recorded last Monday morning (12:45am start) NRL Match, with a EPG run time of 2 hours. Unfortunately the recording stopped 7 minutes before the end of the match!

I have set the unit to record the full MasterChef series. Monday night was the first episode, programmed to go from 7:30pm - 9:00pm. As is not unusual, it ran over time to 9:10pm, I just happened to see the unit stop recording and immediately did a manual record and captured the last 10 minutes that would have been missed. Exactly the same thing occurred last night and again I had to be there in order to do a manual record to get the end of the program.

This makes to use of "auto" recording most unreliable. It renders the exercise absolutely no better than the old VCR days where you set your record times, each time and I always recorded for an extra 30 minutes in order to make sure I didn't miss the end of a program.

Is there anything I can do to resolve this issue?
Is there any way of telling the DPP2 to record all shows for an extra 10-15 minutes or so?
Is there any way of the program broadcast itself (over the air) telling the DPP2 (or maybe the EPG schedule) when it is ending and therefore the recording finish time continues until it's told to stop by the broadcast?

Sorry if these have all be hashed out before, but as I said, I'm a first time user

Thanks
Doonks

prl

Quote from: Doonks on April 21, 2010, 12:59:55 PM
... Monday night was the first episode, programmed to go from 7:30pm - 9:00pm. As is not unusual, it ran over time to 9:10pm, I just happened to see the unit stop recording and immediately did a manual record and captured the last 10 minutes that would have been missed. Exactly the same thing occurred last night and again I had to be there in order to do a manual record to get the end of the program.

This makes to use of "auto" recording most unreliable. It renders the exercise absolutely no better than the old VCR days where you set your record times, each time and I always recorded for an extra 30 minutes in order to make sure I didn't miss the end of a program.

Is there anything I can do to resolve this issue?
Is there any way of telling the DPP2 to record all shows for an extra 10-15 minutes or so?
Is there any way of the program broadcast itself (over the air) telling the DPP2 (or maybe the EPG schedule) when it is ending and therefore the recording finish time continues until it's told to stop by the broadcast?

Sorry if these have all be hashed out before, but as I said, I'm a first time user

Thanks
Doonks

The commercial TV broadcasters regularly (and many believe, deliberately) run programs an unpredictable time later than the scheduled time.

The Beyonwiz allows you to "pad" a recording time, to start the recording earlier than scheduled and end it later than scheduled. You can set this up in SETUP>Misc>PVR>Soft Padding. There's a reasonably good description of how it works in the 1.52e version of the Beyonwiz manual (Chapter 9 - Advanced Setup). You can download this new version of the manual from the Beyonwiz downloads page. If your firmware is so old that it doesn't have this feature (shouldn't be the case on a recently-purchased device), you can download a new firmware version from the same page. Update instructions are also in Chapter 9.

For even more detail about the intricacies of how padding works, see the Recordings and timer padding FAQ in the Beyonwiz forum.

30 minutes post-padding is probably more than you need in most cases. I have my BWs set up with 2 min pre-padding, 15 min post-padding, and padding priority None.

Padding is applied to all recordings, including ones set by IceTV. The only recordings that aren't padded are "instant" recordings started by pressing REC while watching live TV.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing