Poll: Repeats Only Option

Started by lukem, October 12, 2011, 11:19:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should we provide "Repeats Only" as a Series Recording Option?

Yes
No
Don't care

lukem

Do you see the need for a "Repeats Only" Series Option in addition to "First Runs" and "First Runs & Repeats"?

kender

With so many shows now being repeated on sister stations or being given an encore screening, by adding a "REPEATS ONLY" option it would allow the user to avoid known clashes of shows by allowing the user to determine which airing of any given show is recorded, eg. record the repeats of Crownies (on ABC2) rather than the first run (on ABC1), thus increasing the functionality of ICE TV for the user.

Lisey

bodogbodog

Beyonwiz V2: 4 HDTV Tuners, 16gb SD + unRaid 10TB NAS + IceTV Skippa (for old times sake - make me an offer and it's yours!)
Beyonwiz V2: 2 HDTV Tuners - spare

grampus

Quote from: kender on October 24, 2011, 11:00:53 PM
With so many shows now being repeated on sister stations or being given an encore screening, by adding a "REPEATS ONLY" option it would allow the user to avoid known clashes of shows by allowing the user to determine which airing of any given show is recorded, eg. record the repeats of Crownies (on ABC2) rather than the first run (on ABC1), thus increasing the functionality of ICE TV for the user.
It's my guess that the channels aren't silly, they will be trying their best under the rules to get viewers to watch/record their own.
I suspect that it will become very tricky for the providors like Ice to cater for all possibilities.

Like watch only the second viewing 'cause its late in the night, on the sister channel and not tagged as a repeat.  The prime time is already taken up with a couple of different channels being recorded.
Like trying to record a double episode, when you have configured only once per day, trying to overcome the repeats thyat aren't flagged.
BeyonWiz, T3

prl

I think that many of these problems would be fixed by reverting to the previous IceTV Interactive option to record on a particular service, rather than, or as well as, to record only from a particular network.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

IanL-S

I would also support being able to elect LCN on which programs are to be recorded. This would be useful when the same program is transmitted on more than one LCN (for example One on LCN 1 and LCN 12, ABC 1 on LCN 2 and LCN 21 and SBS 1 on LCN 3 and LCN 31 (also LCN 30 for HD version); and 7Digital LCN 7, LCN 70 an LCN 71). These relate to Melbourne, multiple LCN may differ depending on the region,.
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

castow

Definitely need a 'repeats only' for the reasons that Kender explained. Cheers

Dave at IceTV

There is an 'Only Repeats' option for keyword recordings. 

The Advanced Search has the following choices:
- Repeats and new shows
- Only repeats
- Only new shows

Note: Setting Keyword Recordings to 'repeat:yes' only works if that keyword's 'Record' option is set to 'First runs and repeats' in My Shows. 
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

grampus

and then there are the repeats of the repeats.

Mash, for example we will generally see the same show repeated, sometimes on the same day which can be got around by recording only one per day, but occasionally I think there has been a repeat of the repeat after midnight.
It will make it hard to cater for all variances I think.
BeyonWiz, T3

lukem

Hmm.

I wonder if the ad breaks are the same in both versions of the repeat.

We hope to provide "Smarter Recording" later this year, so the system can use repeats of repeats to better organise your recording schedule.

sydbloke

This issue would be partly fixed by allowing us to select the channel we want to record the series on not just the network. For instance I want to record the Big Brother repeats on GO because the Nine broadcast clashes with several other shows but I can't specify GO, only 'Nine'.

Btw, this is the 3rd attempt at posting this...your recaptcha functionality is really poor, if you get the words wrong it gives you a message but when you click 'back' your post is lost.

paullings

Definitely yes but much better to be able to select individual channels rather than networks.

DeltaMikeCharlie

I think that the term "Repeat" has lost its meaning in some ways.  M*A*S*H (for example) is 40+ years old and every episode is technically a "Repeat".  There needs to be a way to designate a repeat within the latest rerun season.

I think that there actually needs to be two classifications: "Repeat" and "Rebroadcast".  A "Repeat" is anything that has ever been broadcast previously, whereas a "Rebroadcast" is a repeat of a programme that was broadcast in the last (let's say) 7 days.

I have had a look at the current ICE XML feed and there is a "previously-shown" tag, but that it not always updated.

I can see the MASH episode "838-99318" at 2015/05/24 08:30:00 UTC and the same episode at 2015/05/24 22:00:00 UTC.  Both show the "previously-shown" tag as "20101101".  This can not be true for the later broadcast as the programme was broadcast just a few hours previously.

If the "previously-shown" tag was updated properly, then it should be possible to decide whether to record the first or second occurrence.  As the XML feed has the same "episode-num" tags, it should also be possible to look forward in the EPG for a reoccurrence of the episode and flag that to be recorded, a "next-scheduled" tag could also be created and included in the XLM feed for this purpose.

Under the classifications described above, a "First Run" can be a "Repeat", but not a "Rebroadcast".  You could skip the "First Run" if there is a clash and record the "Rebroadcast" in its place.

prl

Quote from: DeltaMikeCharlie on May 20, 2015, 01:12:58 PM
... a "Rebroadcast" is a repeat of a programme that was broadcast in the last (let's say) 7 days ...
Tut, tut. In Broadcasterland, that's an "Encore". Because you called out for it. Or something.

I'm still a bit unclear about why a "Repeats only" setting would be better for the usual intended purpose than being able to make a recording channel-specific rather than just broadcaster-specific. These "Encore" showings are invariably on the same broadcaster, but usually on a different channel.

Of course, there's still the problem that some shows are so good they need to be "Encored" more than once.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing