The IceMan Rocks!

Started by Tax_Invoice, April 05, 2006, 11:27:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tax_Invoice

Love your work Ice Man!
Some of your comments on Current Affairs shows (as well as certain News Programs) are brilliant.

nickels

Quote from: Tax_Invoice on April 05, 2006, 11:27:20 AM
Love your work Ice Man!
Some of your comments on Current Affairs shows (as well as certain News Programs) are brilliant.

Check out the description for 'Business Sunday'!

brianh

...and the ones immediately before & after...    :D

Cheers,
Brian H

dippy

Sorry guys, but I'm not a fan of these 'cheap shots'.

For me, the TV guide would be much better without these kinds of comments. Please return the guides to the non-political descriptions please.

David.
cheers
David - IceTV Support Team

Need help? Phone IceTV support on 1300 654 803 or Contact Us

goldcoastguy

Spoilsport!

Most of the comments are on programs that would otherwise have "generic" descriptions. How many other ways are there to describe the news???

It's fun to spot some of the comments.

Keep it up I say!

Evan :->

impact

Yep - in two thoughts about this one....

When I first started using icetv and noticed the news / aca / etc having these 'funny' comments - my first reaction was leading towards disgust... How dare somebody put such rubish in the description field, and felt that icetv had really let me and others down....  Its a paid for service and I am offended by this - someone should have better morals in providing a service that was accurate - Thankyou...

But I must admit after using the guide for several weeks, the comments in question have grown on me a little. Once you realise that the comments are only replacing standard generic messages, I think you get over it a little, ignore it and maybe have a little laugh.... Of course I would be as angry as hell if iceman branched out in putting his own critique of words on the real programs such as movies or series or anything that I might actually watch seriously - but so far I found that iceman is sane and not doing it.

I will admit that I am in two frames of mind over it still - yes I can understand that by doing this, it certainly ads weight and proof that the guide data is icetv's own creation and not just completely copied from a ninemsn source - something that the icetv company directories would probably be very interested in doing - given the pending court action... But I can also see the point of view others have, and I had initially - its a paid for service, and you expect quality of the data and not crappy comments having a go at eddy etc.

While it remains on selected programs at a minimum - I have learned to live with it.

philzgr8

Yes I think I'm with you on that impact. Really in two minds but leaning towards... just give me the generic description. I'm certainly not offended by it but I don't really think it adds any value for me.

Phil

goldcoastguy

Maybe there should be 2 subscription options:

1. Generic

2. Iceman

It would only be a matter of setting up duplicate channels for each region (e.g Channel 9 Sydney - Generic, Channel 9 Sydney Iceman)

brianh

As impact touched on earlier, the comments are controlled in nature - they are restricted to selected shows (mainly political ones) and to me, at least, don't descend to what I would call cheap shots - they don't resort to name calling or the like but instead attempt to put a different spin on things and seem to be aimed at being supportive of ICE... they have made me deliberately surf the EPG looking for hopefully witty remarks, which I certainly would not have bothered with otherwise.  Given the attempt on ICE by Nine, I think some of the remarks actually make a valid point.

I can understand that there are some who find this type of approach unnecessary, and I would defend their right to their opinion.  I for one am happy to have the "added' insights of the programmer/s, it makes the service a little more unique and breaths a bit of life into what must sometimes be a mundane task.

Perhaps a poll is in order?

Cheers,
Brian H

goldcoastguy

I find them quite amusing and consider them a "feature" of my subscription.

Not all of them are cheap shots (most of the cheap shots tend to relate to the various commercial news services and infomercial programs)

Have a look at any of the NRL/AFL matches and you'll find quite a good synopsis and sometimes even a tip!

There are very rarely spoilers as such.

Maybe I prefer my synopsii to be a "review" rather than a "preview". No different to reading/watching movie reviews.

mtb

Quote from: goldcoastguy on July 25, 2006, 06:33:38 PM
I find them quite amusing and consider them a "feature" of my subscription.

Not all of them are cheap shots (most of the cheap shots tend to relate to the various commercial news services and infomercial programs)
I tend to agree.  As long as we get no spoilers, I have no problem with these, it adds a little flair if anything.  After spotting the first one, I looked for others and showed them to family and friends - the reaction was universally in support.

As regards the value of the EPG, I consider the accuracy of the times and programme names to be paramount, the commentaries are just the icing on the cake.
Beyonwiz DP-P2, Epson EH-TW5500, Pioneer VSXLX52 & BDP-320, Screen Technics 100” screen, WD Live TV x2, 6Tb NAS (Linux)
Beyonwiz DP-S1, VIERA TH-42PA60A
HTC Desire (rooted) Froyo
Topfield 5000MP