IceBox and Harmony Elite

Started by 2353, December 29, 2023, 11:04:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi all,

My Beyonwiz PVR is slowly dying and I'm thinking of replacing it with an IceBox. I have a Harmony Elite that controls the AV system and would prefer to link the IceBox into the Harmony system so I don't have to use two remote controls. Would anyone know if this is possible?

IanL-S

You can set-up with a USB Keyboard, you can also use a USB mouse, rather than using the RCU supplied by IceTV, or use a combination (which I usually do). 

The IceBox uses LibreELEC which supports a wide range of RCUs. LibreELEC uses KODI, so hopefully the standard KODI profile should work. The IceBox does not (as I understand it) have an IR receiver which complicates things. There is a rather technical discussion of IR RCU on the LibreELEC wiki. If I recall correctly it gives guidance on what sort of USB IR receiver is needed. You can get them on eBay - I purchased one but never got around to using it.

@Delta Mike Charlie probably can give you some guidance.

Ian

IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

Thanks folks for the extremely useful information.

I'll do a bit more research.

IanL-S

Quote from: 2353 on December 30, 2023, 08:40:25 AMThanks folks for the extremely useful information.

I'll do a bit more research.

Please update us on your progress as the information will be useful for other users.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

TimC

I have set up a FLIRC on my Icebox quite successfully.
The Icebox, as is, does not respond to IR signals at all. It uses a RF Remote and dongle.
The thing to understand is that some sort of USB dongle is needed.

My understanding of the Harmony is that it is an IR Device, not RF. To allow a Harmony Remote to communicate with the IceBox, you need an IR dongle to receive the IR codes, the Harmony sends.  This is where the Flirc comes in.

The Flirc is a programmable IR dongle. It is a bit like a Harmony remote in that you can record IR codes from any IR remote into the dongle.

I your case, you could leave your Harmony remote set up to control your BeyondWiz and record the BeyondWiz buttons you need to control the IceBox. If you want to continue to control your BeyondWiz with your Harmony, you would need to program in an alternative remote into the Harmony and then use that to control the IceBox.

In my case I set my Flirc to respond to a Skippa Remote, but any remote you are not using will do, i.e. your Harmony.

The link Here starts at the point in the thread where I managed to get my FLIRC set up properly.  The trick is the find out the Flirc codes that work on the IceBox. This thread shows you how to do it.
Icebox, Fetch box (Not IceTV Capable)