Perth early morning EPG program times

Started by grumpy_geoff, March 14, 2018, 01:01:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumpy_geoff

Can an effort be made to improve the Perth early morning EPG program times please?

Wed March 14. The IceTV EPG program start times were behind by the following amounts -
8 mins on Teen Titans Go!
12 mins on The Looney Tunes Show
15 mins on Pokemon
18 mins on Ben 10
21 mins on Beyblade Burst
25 mins on Steven Universe
27 mins on Adventure Time With Finn And Jake
20 mins on Power Rangers

As shown the times were out by as much as 27 minutes this morning.  We've been missing the start of recordings even with a generous 10-min pre-padding.

What's the point of having a curated EPG with accurate premiere/repeat statuses if the program start times are inaccurate and the beginning of the program is missed? The program status then doesn't have much relevance.

Cheers
Geoff

Tiphanee

Hi Geoff,

Many thanks for your note.

I have revisited the way we do afternoon checks and have changed 9Go for Perth. Generally it is an auto-predicted channel from Sydney and if necessary, it will be taken off and adjusted manually during the last checks of the day.

I have just completed them for today and have made the appropriate adjustments for Perth, you should see the changes reflected in about 20 minutes.

I'll continue to monitor the new checking process over the next few days to make sure all team members are following the new procedure.

Have a lovely evening,

Tiphanee
Regards,

Tiphanee
IceTV Guide Team Leader

MD

Hi Geoff,

We always advise at least 20 minutes of padding. 10 minutes is, in my opinion, not "generous" enough to catch the various manoeuvres that the commercial networks get up to to overlap the competition, or the overruns of reality shows. I use 30 minutes on my Windows media centre as the next lower option is 15 which is too short.  I put 20 minutes on my other PVRs.

IanL-S

The propensity of commercial networks to make late, often unannounced, schedule changes is well known, particularly late at night and early am. On my Toppys I use 30 post padding as a precaution. I have a backup T2 on which I set 40 minutes (if only records programs on commercial networks) which I occasionally have to resort to.
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

MD

Hi Geoff,

My apologies, I misread the post as padding, not pre-padding😫.  10 minutes is certainly generous pre-padding (I use 1 minute!). I note that Tiph has replied and we are increasing our focus on the late changes in Perth.  This will greatly improve the accuracy so that your pre-padding will capture any small variations between published and actual airing times.

prl

Quote from: MD on March 15, 2018, 04:30:27 PM
Hi Geoff,

My apologies, I misread the post as padding, not pre-padding😫.  10 minutes is certainly generous pre-padding (I use 1 minute!). ...

IIRC, other IceTV staff have recommended 2 min pre-padding in the past (but I couldn't find the posts) and that was the prepadding that a user was originally defaulted to when IceTV was enabled in the Beyonwiz IceTV plugin*, which I understand was at IceTV's request.

IMO, pre-padding should be at least 3 minutes, because the IceTV EPG precision is in 5-minute units. I use 5 min, and while that is usually enough, I've had a few recordings lately where it was only just enough (ACT EPG), and where less would have lots part of the program.

* The Beyonwiz IceTV plugin no longer interferes with the prepadding values, and the Beyonwiz's normal default pre-padding is 3 min.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

grumpy_geoff

I'm disappointed to have to post again regarding the poor early morning EPG event times maintained for Perth :(
As shown below the times were out by as much as 25 minutes this morning. Is there any chance this can be revisited please?

On Wed May-16, the IceTV EPG program start times were *behind* by the following amounts -
9 mins on Regular Show "The Lunch Club / Local News Legend"
12 mins on Adventure Time With Finn And Jake "Cherry Cream Soda / Mama Said"
14 mins on Pokemon "Pathways To Performance Partnering!"
17 mins on Ben 10: Omniverse "Breakpoint"
19 mins on Beyblade Burst "World League! Setting The Stage!"
23 mins on Teen Titans "Spellbound"
25 mins on Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc-V "Sibling Standoff"
19 mins on Power Rangers Dino Charge "Wings Of Danger"
12 mins on Regal Academy "The Dragon Duel"

The scheduling caught up at 5:30am, as Yu-Gi-Oh! "Name of the Game" was 2 mins ahead.

I re-iterate my point from a previous post - what's the point of having a curated EPG if the program start times are wildly inaccurate and the beginning of the program is missed by large amounts? 
The inaccuracy for Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc-V meant all bar the last one minute of the program would be missed!

Cheers
Geoff

Tiphanee

Hello Geoff,

I understand your frustration regarding the early morning programming on 9Go in Perth.

I have again spoken to the Guide team members responsible for checking and have reiterated that they can't be complacent in their checks. As well, I will go back to scheduling some extra checks during the day to capture these type of errors slipping back into the guide.

Have a lovely day,

Tiphanee
Regards,

Tiphanee
IceTV Guide Team Leader