Missing "Guide" heading in Windows Media Centre

Started by caravaner, September 25, 2007, 06:47:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

caravaner

Hi,

Not sure if I'm under the right section but hopefully someone can help.  We're currently travelling around Oz and if I can get IceTV set up in Media Centre it will be a great way to catch our favourite shows.  I recently bought new laptop which came with Windows Vista and Media Centre (Version 6.0.6000.16484). IceTv was installed but I've run into a problem getting it set up in Media Centre.

I followed the IceTV - Vista MCE setup instructions (IceTv site > Support > FAQ > Windows Vista > How do I set up IceTV's TV Guide for use with Windows Vista Media Centre) right up to 3.b where it tells me to go to "Guide" in Media Centre under Tasks>Settings>TV but "Guide" is not there. The only options I have under TV are:

Setup TV Signal
Configure your TV or Monitor
Audio
Closed Captioning

Can anyone help?

regards,
Caravaner

marcusstringer

I'm guessing you would have to rescan for stations everyplace you travel too????

Then download the appropriate guide listings for the area you are in.

That means you are going to have to know the postcode everytime you rescan...

Try a station scan first, then guide
Marcus
Twitter: @MarcusStringer
www.midlandtypsetters.com.au

Daniel Hall at IceTV

It sounds like the initial setup of the Media Center was using the Express option so the Tuner card was not setup.

In this instance you should run through the "TV Signal Setup", it will ask some questions on the type of setup that you have, and then ask you if you would like to setup the guide, when you select "Yes" at this point it will continue on with the normal setup from step 3.d.
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.

Daniel Hall at IceTV

Quote from: marcusstringer on September 25, 2007, 09:04:52 AM
I'm guessing you would have to rescan for stations everyplace you travel too????

Then download the appropriate guide listings for the area you are in.

That means you are going to have to know the postcode everytime you rescan...

Try a station scan first, then guide

Actually the postcode is in general ignored when using the IceTV Guide, the correct region comes from what you have setup under the My Account section of the IceTV website (this is also set when first signing up to IceTV).
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.

marcusstringer

Then why have it???

But wouldn't they have to log into the IceTV web site and change regions all the time.

And also do a Tuner Scan everytime.

Why couldn't they input the postcode which would then select the appropriate region
Marcus

Daniel Hall at IceTV

Quote from: marcusstringer on September 25, 2007, 01:23:56 PM
Then why have it???

But wouldn't they have to log into the IceTV web site and change regions all the time.

And also do a Tuner Scan everytime.

Why couldn't they input the postcode which would then select the appropriate region

It's part of the Media Center setup, not part of the IceTV setup.

Yes, if going to a different region then you would need to login to the website to change this, but it also depends on how far you move around as for example Sydney only has the 1 guide region.

Absolutely, any region change will need a re-setup of the guide and new channel scan to get the new regions guide and channels.
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.

marcusstringer

Ok...

Just thinking out aloud here...

If IceTv could somehow incorporate the postcode feature into their Website to be able to select regions, then it would make the whole experience more enjoyable... for example.

Scenario: I was in Melbourne on Monday (postcode 3001) then travelled to Bendigo (Postcode 3550) and then put in the long haul to Canberra (Postcode 2610).

When I left Melbourne I was locked into the Melbourne region (seven, ten, nine etc). I then stopped in Bendigo, when I tune in my stations (Prime, Win, SC10) If I could only fill in the postcode I was staying at (3550), then that info would be enough to download a new region...

I wouldn't have to go the IceTV website to do it. It should go there and Autodownload the content specifically to the region postcode I just input...

Does that make sense  ???
Marcus

caravaner

Many thanks for your comments.  Apologies for my delay in getting back to you.  Unfortunately, I didn't have any success using Setup TV Signal and got the error:

"TUNER NOT FOUND.  The TV signal cannot be configurred because no tuner hardware ws detected.  Please ensurre your hardware is correctly installed.  If you do not have tuner hardware, you may purchase a tuner online from Windows Marketplace".

Well that didn't thrill me at all.  What hardware???  As far as I knew the laptop came with the Acer TV Tuner.  So, I've sent an email to the Acer people to see why Media Centre cannot find this anywhere.

Wish me luck!