topfield 2460 freezing on EPG download

Started by treedy, October 14, 2013, 01:51:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

treedy

Hi I am after some help. My Topfield during playback freezes and sometimes reboots when ICE EPG is being downloaded. When the EPG is being downloaded the hard drive makes a grunting sound as if it is working overtime. To try and fix the problem I have tried swearing at it - didn't help! I have followed the instructions here: http://support.icetv.com.au/entries/20105463-how-do-i-map-channels-on-the-icetv-website-for-my-recorder-or-changing-which-channels-my-recorder-do   
I am in Bathurst so I have to use NSW Regional Southern channels. I use channels 2, 3, 5, 6, 8, 22, 24, 30, 32, 34, 50, 55, 62, 63, 80, and 88.
I have also updated the firmware (use USB stick method, not internet update), done a reset to factory settings, installed the firmware, and then done another reset to factory settings. The info in System status: System ID 32026, Loader Version v1.02, Device version v1.0.1, Application Version TF-BCPF 2.10.00 Last update Apr 1 2013  (is the date significant?)
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated I am at a total loss of what to do.
THANKS Terry

Dave at IceTV

Hi Terry,

Each Topfield firmware has a 'Version number' and a 'Last update' date. The date is the date that Topfield compiled the firmware, and not the date it was installed on the PVR. I prefer to refer to the date as it's easier to remember, especially when dealing with multiple models which each have different version numbers for the same firmware date.

Sometimes after setting the correct LCNs in the account the Topfield can reboot once or twice more as it sorts out the changed channel data.

In the Topfield's IceTV menu:
- Make sure that the device is set to your Topfield (and not your Humax).
- Make sure that the 'Channel Mapping' option says "No duplicate LCNs exist".

Also disable any TAPs that you may have installed, as a misbehaving TAP can cause rebooting (skip this if you don't know what a TAP is).

Some DLNA media servers, like Twonky and PowerDVD, can cause PVRs to reboot. As a test, try disconnecting from the network (or turning off) all other network devices. e.g. Computers, NAS Servers and any smart phones with media server apps.

If none of the above helps, then please revert to a previous stable firmware. There could be a problem with the April 2013 firmware. With IceTV enabled the Topfield 2400/2460 PVRs were prone to rebooting with the December 2010 and March 2011 firmware (they also occasionally corrupted the EPG data and less frequently inexplicably deleted timers).

If you had a 2400 you could install the Jan 2013 firmware, but as far as I know the Jan 2013 firmware for the 2460 is not downloadable anywhere. Maybe try the Oct 2012 firmware. http://oztoppy.wikidot.com/firmware-list
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

treedy

:) Thanks, With the date I was referring to April fools day! I have tried everything else you have suggested except the earlier firmware. I had previously installed a firmware from the europe site -  it was a disaster the topfield kept on rebooting and the harddrive kept on disappearing and I would have to re format.   I will give a earlier firmware a go. Once again Thanks Terry

IanL-S

The April 2013 2460/2400 firmware was released without testing by the Toppro beta testers. The January 2013 firmware is not perfect, but I have had fewer issues with it than I have had with the April 2013 firmware (2 x 2400).

There is a firmware bug in all 2400/2460 firmware released since late 2012 which results in spontaneous rebooting when mounting/dismounting USB devices. It can also happen when playing back a recording when there is a USB storage device attached (the recording being played back need not be on the external storage device). The USB problem is easily replaceable and has been reported numerous times to Toppro, but for some reason the Topfield engineers have not seen fit to deal with it. Could this explain what you are seeing?

The ftp server in the April 2013 firmware is badly broken; it is better but not perfect in the Jan 2013 firmware.

With the 2460 the best bet is the October 2012 firmware. I do not know anyone who has a file with the 2460 Jan 2013 firmware.

Have you tried phoning Toppro technical support for assistance?

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

treedy

Once again thanks. I have installed the oct 2012 firmware it still freezes and reboots with EPG downloads. I only use usb sticks rarely (only for firmware and the occasional movie). I don't have any taps loaded. The hard drive is fairly noisy when the EPG is being downloaded. I only use the topfield for recording and playback of TV shows. Any further suggestions?
Terry

treedy

:) I emailed Topfield they sent me a link for jan 7 2013 TF-BCPF 1.16.00 firmware. This seems to have fixed the problem
Very happy Terry

Vortical

Quote from: treedy on October 16, 2013, 01:25:59 PM
:) I emailed Topfield they sent me a link for jan 7 2013 TF-BCPF 1.16.00 firmware. This seems to have fixed the problem
Very happy Terry

If you could put the link on here either in the forum or via private message that would be appreciated.

I've been chasing that fw for a while now for the 2460 so it can be uploaded to the Google Drive link for everyone to download.

treedy

:( Hi, as it turns out the firmware didn't fix it. I think my topfield is heading to the bin. Here is the link.    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ad358djlvv4tg9m/TRF2460%28AUST_32026%29-2013Jan07_v1.16.00.tfd?m

Hope it is more useful to you
Terry

treedy

Hi again, I was thinking the problem could be something to do with the hard drive, so I took it out and put it into a astone hard drive case and tested it with seagate sea tools. The drive checked ok but only showed up as 180gb instead of 1tb. Has anyone got any thoughts on this?
Thanks Terry

Paul55

Topfield drives are not formatted as FAT or NTFS. I think they are JSF.

Vortical

Quote from: treedy on October 17, 2013, 08:18:07 AM
:( Hi, as it turns out the firmware didn't fix it. I think my topfield is heading to the bin. Here is the link.    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ad358djlvv4tg9m/TRF2460%28AUST_32026%29-2013Jan07_v1.16.00.tfd?m

Hope it is more useful to you
Terry

Many thx treedy, I'm trying to manage a complete fw catalogue for the Topfield and Toppro models given the erratic nature of the Topfield websites and forums.
Most of what is on the google drive share I setup has long disappeared from the various Topfield websites.

I was a Topfield beta tester but it seems they don't need us anymore, all our queries and requests to reactivate the beta testing and forums seems to have fallen on deaf ears.

prl

Quote from: Paul55 on October 17, 2013, 04:31:56 PM
Topfield drives are not formatted as FAT or NTFS. I think they are JSF.
Partitioning and file system formats shouldn't matter to a low-level HDD test. Perhaps there's an internal limitation to the Seagate test program in question.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

treedy

:) Hi I replaced the hard drive with an old 320gb seagate barracuda yesterday, everything works perfectly now.
Terry

Vortical

Quote from: treedy on October 20, 2013, 08:55:35 AM
:) Hi I replaced the hard drive with an old 320gb seagate barracuda yesterday, everything works perfectly now.
Terry

Glad your back in business Treedy

I should let you know I also have a 2460 and it's never had fw upgraded past Feb 2012. Some features don't work like YouTube but it's been rock solid as a pvr using IceTV on that fw.

The pvr is never left on 24/7 either, always put to standby when finished recording or playback.

Paul55

Quote from: Vortical on October 21, 2013, 12:58:42 AM
I should let you know I also have a 2460 and it's never had fw upgraded past Feb 2012. Some features don't work like YouTube but it's been rock solid as a pvr using IceTV on that fw.

The pvr is never left on 24/7 either, always put to standby when finished recording or playback.

A man after my own heart - if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it. My setup and usage is very similar to yours and I've left it alone for years.