Volume issue on DP1 and channel rescan

Started by alches, July 12, 2010, 05:32:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alches

In recent weeks I have been having a volume issue as we have to turn the volume to full to hear comfortably (just). I have tired all settings on the Beyonwiz DP1 and the TV to no avail.

Now I have just done a full channel rescan to get the new ABC 24 and it has the volume back to normal as do two other new channels (3D Trial and West TV).  All the former channels are still quiet.  Why?

Any thoughts how I can get the old channels back to normal?

Allan

prl

You'd probably be better off posting the query on the Beyonwiz forum or in the DTV Forum PVR section.

Or contact Beyonwiz support (1300 889 803).
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

tonymy01

But the issue is that mpeg audio channels will honour the wiz volume setting, make sure to knock it up to the max, 50, as the wiz volume control is really a volume reducer. The dolby digital channels (such as ABC24 and the 3Dtrial channel) don't adjust the volume to any lower in any wiz volume setting (in passthru mode) and this may explain your issue.
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).

alches

Thank you both for the replies and I may try the Beyonwiz forum if necessary but before I do can I just get a further explanation about the Wiz volume settings, as I get the feeling that these comments may be on the right track. The comment about the BWiz reducing the volume, reminded me of when I first set it up, that there was a setting, producing a horizontal indicator at the top of the screen, that went to 50 and then the volume control varied that downwards.

I feel that somehow this is the solution but the problem is I cannot find it where this control is, so I am hoping you can tell me (?).  I have looked at all the settings I can find but it is eluding me. 

Also, can you please confirm too that the AV settings should be on "passthrough"?  I have played with these trying to get the volume fixed and could not really understand how it should be from the user guide.

Thanks,
Allamn

prl

Quote from: alches on July 12, 2010, 11:36:10 PM
Thank you both for the replies and I may try the Beyonwiz forum if necessary but before I do can I just get a further explanation about the Wiz volume settings, as I get the feeling that these comments may be on the right track. The comment about the BWiz reducing the volume, reminded me of when I first set it up, that there was a setting, producing a horizontal indicator at the top of the screen, that went to 50 and then the volume control varied that downwards.

I feel that somehow this is the solution but the problem is I cannot find it where this control is, so I am hoping you can tell me (?).  I have looked at all the settings I can find but it is eluding me. 

Also, can you please confirm too that the AV settings should be on "passthrough"?  I have played with these trying to get the volume fixed and could not really understand how it should be from the user guide.

Thanks,
Allamn

The volume control you're talking about is the volume control on the Beyonwiz remote. It's a rocker control marked VOL in the centre and + and - on the two ends of the rocker. Near the channel change buttons. It's possible that someone inadvertently changed the volume settings, perhaps they pressed the VOL button instead of the CH buttons, somehow accidentally pressed the button without noticing, or perhaps small fingers have been at play.

Most users report the best results when this is set to about 45-48.

It's not really possible to know whether "passthrough" is appropriate to your equipment without knowing how the audio gets from the Beyonwiz to the device that drives the speakers, and the audio decoding capabilities of what's in between. If it was working previously using "passthrough", the Beyonwiz volume control level is probably the best place to check first.

It's normally best to find a good overall setting for the Beyonwiz volume control, and then leave the actual volume control to whatever device is connected to the speakers, though it sounds as though that's exactly what you want to do.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

alches

Thanks Peter!

I assure you I am not as dumb as I seem (I don't think so anyway!).  The problem was I was using a universal remote, which was obviously controlling the TV sound (vertical indicator).  When I used the Beyonwiz one (after I found it again!) it solved the problem. Its master volume was set on 33!!  That must have happened accidentally, as I did have it out a few weeks ago for some reason.  Now I can put my hearing aid back in its box and start drowning out the neighbour's stereo!!!  (just joking - we live in the bush!)

Thanks again for the help.

Allan