Main Menu

Features?

Started by Iceman, February 19, 2023, 05:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iceman

Hi there!

I'm considering purchasing an IceBox and have a mixed bag of questions regarding features. Whatever answers anyone can manage would be greatly appreciated, thanks. And just a suggestion - a demonstration video of the IceBox on YouTube might allow people to actually see what kind of experience they're buying, and possibly answer some of my questions.

Does the IceBox automatically display live TV upon booting?

Is EPG access and channel-changing possible with a single press of a button on the remote?

Does the IceTV EPG and various system menus overlay live TV? (I would be extremely frustrated without this feature).

Does the IceBox allow audio passthrough? If so, which formats and how many channels?

Does the IceBox utilise HDMI ARC and CEC? If so, how well does it integrate into an ecosystem of multiple HDMI devices? The reason I ask is I have a Vero 4K+ box (Kodi) and it takes over somewhat, creating havoc in a system of various devices that otherwise all coexist with perfect ARC and CEC functionality.

IanL-S

I primarily use the IceBox as a backup for my Beyonwiz V2 and T2, so there are some aspects of its possible use that I am not on top of.

Quote from: Iceman on February 19, 2023, 05:20:01 PMDoes the IceBox automatically display live TV upon booting?

It does not; however the Kodi settings all you to specify what happens on boot-up. Not sure how refined those settings are.

Quote from: Iceman on February 19, 2023, 05:20:01 PMIs EPG access and channel-changing possible with a single press of a button on the remote?

Not that I am aware of; the RCU does not have ch+/ch- keys or vol+/vol- keys. However it can support multiple RCUs. I understand that some will work without configuration; others (for example Toppy RCUs) require configuration which requires a degree of expertise. Guidance on how to set up alternative RCUs will be one of the things covered in the wiki (when I get enough time to get it organised).

Quote from: Iceman on February 19, 2023, 05:20:01 PMDoes the IceTV EPG and various system menus overlay live TV? (I would be extremely frustrated without this feature).

Not sure as I rarely use the IceBox to watch live TV.

Quote from: Iceman on February 19, 2023, 05:20:01 PMDoes the IceBox allow audio passthrough? If so, which formats and how many channels?

Not something I use. But I understand other may have done so.

Quote from: Iceman on February 19, 2023, 05:20:01 PMDoes the IceBox utilise HDMI ARC and CEC? If so, how well does it integrate into an ecosystem of multiple HDMI devices? The reason I ask is I have a Vero 4K+ box (Kodi) and it takes over somewhat, creating havoc in a system of various devices that otherwise all coexist with perfect ARC and CEC functionality.

I do not use this with my IceBox. I have a dim recollection that others have done so.

The way the IceBox works is constantly evolving so it is hard to say what may evenutally be possible.
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

MD

The RCU does have vol+/vol- keys.  See pic of remote early on in the setup guide, plus mute.  Channel up/down is via EPG.

IanL-S

Quote from: MD on February 19, 2023, 06:19:38 PMThe RCU does have vol+/vol- keys.  See pic of remote early on in the setup guide, plus mute.  Channel up/down is via EPG.

Yes, forgot about the vol+/vol- keys; look diffeent to those on all my other TVs/PVRs.
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
Synology NAS

MD

One of our major new user learning problems is that "everything" is different to old PVRs!! But I find, now I'm used to whizzing around it, that it's just as good if not better (absent a some critical remaining bugs that have emerged from a larger user base). Once set up mine have been faultless but that doesn't mean the others haven't been caught by bugs that I seem to have been lucky to have not been affected by.  One key problem is the necessary careful step-by-step setup of a very new device that is PC based not restricted in the holes one can dig if one jumps steps which common STBs don't allow.  So old habits get applied and problems emerge. I wish we had the resources to totally lock down the Kodi UI to stop setup issues but that's a big job and would risk removing lots of it's extra usefulness. We are working on it every day to try to design out the issues but keep its multitude of benefits.

Iceman

Thank you all for the replies so far. I'm not adverse to a new experience and putting in substantial hours delving deep into setup/customisation etc, and therefore don't require the IceBox to be up and running straight-out-the-box. All my media players are of the 'tinkering' variety with an online support community, so I guess that's how I like to roll. I currently have a Beyonwiz T4, Vero 4K+ and Linux NAS running JRiver Media Center, all connected to a relatively hefty 9.2ch receiver to meet most of my requirements for hi-fi audio, HDR 4K, Dolby Atmos etc.

My questions were essentially around some of the features that might consolidate various functionalities into a single unit, and also be user-friendly enough for other household members. For example, if the IceBox takes more steps/button-presses to just turn on and start watching TV, or if it doesn't facilitate checking out what's on TV later in the day without interrupting what's currently on, then I have a flimsy case to present to the household for why I'm shelving the Beyonwiz, except for maybe the suspicious burning smell it unleashes every now and again (hence looking at the IceBox). And if the IceBox won't play nice with all the other HDMI devices in the system, then it will likely just be an annoyance.

Right now, I can't glean from the IceBox website what lies ahead when purchasing the box, and whether the amount of time and money I put into it will yield the results I'm after. A demonstration video would go a long way.

IanL-S

When I manage to get my build-your-own IceBox up and running I plan making several videos. I will add a general overview to the listing.

I use a signal spliter to send the signal to the HDMI input on my Topfield 8800, which means I can capture things that happen while booting the system or when booting from USB media.
Synology NAS

IanL-S

You can configure the IceBox so that it opens on "channels"; if you are watching live TV, then go to EPG or timers and the like, the live TV can be seen in background (somehing I do not like).

Ian
Synology NAS

Iceman

Thanks kindly for the update, Ian. Much appreciated. I personally think it's useful to have an EPG overlay when you're watching TV and want to check the upcoming schedule without interrupting what's currently on. However, in other scenarios, I agree it's visually cluttered.

TimC

Quote from: Iceman on February 19, 2023, 05:20:01 PMDoes the IceBox automatically display live TV upon booting?
There are settings that allow you to display Live TV on booting.

Quote from: Iceman on February 19, 2023, 05:20:01 PMIs EPG access and channel-changing possible with a single press of a button on the remote?
With the remote supplied with the box. No.  However I have made use of a FLIRC USB Unit that will allow you to set up any old PVR Remote control to do these functions.
In fact most standard PVR Remote functions can be set up in this way. See Setting up a FLIRC Unit

Quote from: Iceman on February 19, 2023, 05:20:01 PMDoes the IceTV EPG and various system menus overlay live TV? (I would be extremely frustrated without this feature).

This one is a depends.  The way the IceBox seems to work is that Live TV is not a default state. If you have been watching Live TV and bring up the EPG, the guide definitely overlays the Live TV.  However, if you have been watching something other than Live TV such as a recording or a loaded movie, etc., the Live TV is not shown.
Stopping a recording, movie does not default you back to Live TV. You have to select a channel first before Live TV plays. I am not aware of a setting that restarts the Live TV automatically.  That doesn't mean that the setting doesn't exist though.

Quote from: Iceman on February 19, 2023, 05:20:01 PMDoes the IceBox allow audio passthrough? If so, which formats and how many channels?

I have seen settings for Audio Passthrough, such as:
Allow Passthrough,
  Dolby Digital (AC3) capable receiver,
     Enable Dolby Digital (AC3) transcoding, and
  DTS capable Receiver
What the specs are I have no idea.

Quote from: Iceman on February 19, 2023, 05:20:01 PMDoes the IceBox utilise HDMI ARC and CEC? If so, how well does it integrate into an ecosystem of multiple HDMI devices? The reason I ask is I have a Vero 4K+ box (Kodi) and it takes over somewhat, creating havoc in a system of various devices that otherwise all coexist with perfect ARC and CEC functionality.

Not sure, however one thing I found was that although there are two HDMI ports, only one of them works.  Which one depends on what is plugged in to the port when it is switched on. I have yet to discover a way around this, but perhaps... Its all software stuff, but certainly in its default state, only one port works.

Quote from: MD on February 20, 2023, 08:52:07 AMOne of our major new user learning problems is that "everything" is different to old PVRs!! But I find, now I'm used to whizzing around it, that it's just as good if not better (absent a some critical remaining bugs that have emerged from a larger user base).

The remote control is what really separates the IceBox from a Standard PVR.  That and the fact that Live TV is not a default function.  Generally, to see live TV you need to select a channel first.
However, the Kodi comes with most of the normal PVR single button features built in You just need a suitable remote. The functions include support for things like number buttons for channel selection, an EPG button, Ch+ and Ch- buttons, a Recordings button a delete button, etc. You can even plug in a standard USB Keyboard to access these functions.

Being able to use the remote arrow buttons to Skip forward and back through recordings is better than most PVRs I have seen.

There are also all sorts of Kodi plugins that are available to add extended features such as Netflix (yet to find it though) and some Catchup TV functions.

While there are a few things such as closed captions, that aren't functioning currently but are being looked at.

In summary, I find the iceBox just a touch green at the moment. If you want something that you plug in and it behaves like a typical PVR, then it misses the mark a bit.

On the other hand, one of its most important capabilities is that it is built to works with IceTV. This is a unique capability that allows you to set recording from anywhere with Mobile phone and/or internet access. I have set up recordings while on holiday in New Zealand. You can set up First Run Series recordings on any available channel. These capabilities are something that I have yet to find anywhere else in the world.

Only a small number of PVRs have the capability to work with IceTV and the IceBox is one of them. It is well worth considering.
Icebox, Fetch box (Not IceTV Capable)

IanL-S

One great feature of the IceBox (LibreELEC) is the support for USB keyboards. Many (older) PVRs do not do so - although the more recent Beyonwiz do (but not as comprehensive). The number of tuners supported is also better than most PVRs (exceeds that of the Beyonwiz U4 and V2). It also does not loose tuners like the Beyonwiz T2 which is flakey when it come to USB tuners. On my BYOB I have 5 turners, one for each free to air network, avoiding timer clash issues. It has exceptional support for multiple recordings, the only other PVR coming close is the Beyonwiz V2.
Synology NAS

raymondjpg

Quote from: IanL-S on August 11, 2023, 11:17:33 AMOn my BYOB I have 5 turners, one for each free to air network, avoiding timer clash issues. It has exceptional support for multiple recordings, the only other PVR coming close is the Beyonwiz V2.
Maybe a warning about mixing different USB tuners?

I have good stability running two Hauppauge Wintv-Dualhd tuners, but not so great performance when pairing one Wintv-Dualhd tuner with an Xbox One Digital TV Tuner or a Hauppauge Wintv Ministick. Tuners are all recognised by TVHeadend and recordings run to completion, but on monitoring Status when recording, on occasion one or other of the tuners will start throwing errors which often will continue until the recording completes. These errors are reflected in large blocks of errors and warnings in TSDoctor.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

Iceman

Quote from: TimC on August 10, 2023, 09:21:20 PMIn summary, I find the iceBox just a touch green at the moment. If you want something that you plug in and it behaves like a typical PVR, then it misses the mark a bit.

Thanks, Tim C. This is extremely helpful. I'm wanting to upgrade from a Beyonwiz T4 (it periodically produces a burning smell!) but want something that feels at least like a genuine replacement. I'd also be thrilled if it plays .h265 at 4K and does 8 channel audio passthrough. Maybe I'll hold off just a bit longer - it just means my T4 needs to powered off every time I'm not using it... ugh.

TimC

Iceman,

One thing to keep in mind is that whatever you purchase a standards PVR will never be better than it currently is.
For example I have started looking around all the addins and set up all the Catchup channels as well as Netflix, Paramount+, Disney+ and Prime.

The Icebox has all sorts of potential for the future.

For another example, I believe IceTV are working on a Skippa style Add Skip, i.e. a setup where there is some post processing to detect where adds are located in the recording and to automatically jump past them.  Having had a Skippa (Sadly, both mine have died), I can tell you that that is a real game changer.
Icebox, Fetch box (Not IceTV Capable)

MD

Hi TimC,

Many thanks for outlining how much the IceBox can be extended to be far more powerful than a vanilla PVR. It's the reason we chose Kodi and a miniPC so that all its open source benefits can be exploited. Just needs exploring...!

Once we have cleaned up the currently clonky sign-in menus to be intelligible integrated IceTV ones then ad-skip is the next cab off the rank.

And we are striving to fix this infernal SSD problem via its manufacturer who hasn't had SSDs used in the way a PVR does, which is vastly different to a desktop running Windows etc.  Either they'll very soon have a firmware update to manage the normal users PVR operations or the SSDs will be replaced by ones more suitable, which we are successfully testing right now.