SETTING UP MY NEW ICETV UNIT

Started by stephanie70, January 21, 2023, 12:11:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephanie70

Hi all, may I please have some help setting up my new ICEbox TV unit? I can't work out where to put the batteries as nothing seems to open? For the "ice team' maybe screen snaps in the instructions would be helpful. I am usually ok with new audio setups

Ian_AW

The batteries are for the remote control.

Half (approx) of the back of the remote control slides down. You will need to press down below the joint a little as you slide it down. Don't be too aggressive in how hard you press down. It's fairly easy to slide down.

When it slides down, you will find the WiFi receiver. The remote control works on WiFi and not IR or Bluetooth.

The WiFi receiver goes into one of the USB ports on the side.

martpc

When setting up the ICEBox you can use the following URL at IceTV for the basic steps.

https://support.icetv.com.au/hc/en-us/sections/5888216109455-General

You may have also got an email from the ICEBox support team to make sure you wait at a screen to ensure that a software download happens.

When the box is switched on the IceTV Wizard will automatically run BUT WAIT on the last setup screen after internet connection and SSH and SMB services. (Wifi setup if used is done by scrolling up and selecting the wifi channel you wish to use.  An Ethernet connection should show up automatically as an IP address). Then the setup will go to SMB or SSH services.  STOP-

-AT THIS POINT DON'T PRESS NEXT and simply wait at least two minutes as the software update is downloading.  Unfortunately no message confirms the update but two minutes is ample time.

Then press NEXT and the IceTV Wizard will ask for your IceTV email address and password and the Wizard will scan the same channels as you have in your IceTV account and download the EPG.

All should be good to go now. Remember that you can copy the recording settings you have on another PVR onto your IceBox by going to your IceTV account and going to "My Recorders" where there is a tab to copy recording settings from one PVR to another.

stephanie70

thanks for your replies Icies :) I have gotten to a certain point, which is internet connection. I am unable to connect to IceTV. I wonder if there are any 'Melbourne-ites' that would be able to come and assist. A reasonable fee would be paid. Thanks :)

Ian_AW

Quote from: stephanie70 on January 27, 2023, 02:29:31 PMthanks for your replies Icies :) I have gotten to a certain point, which is internet connection. I am unable to connect to IceTV. I wonder if there are any 'Melbourne-ites' that would be able to come and assist. A reasonable fee would be paid. Thanks :)

When you get to the Internet connection, what networks do you see?

Apart from IceTV, how do you connect to the Internet? Do you have a router?

If you want to connect via WiFi, what is your normal setup?

MD

...just to add the Setup - User Guide shows pictures of mine as I went to the wifi setup.  Without out that connection you can't set up your IceTV account? You can also see the connection via the LibreELEC icon in Kodi Settings (the "Cog" at the top).

PeteRyde

I'm setting up my new IceBox but the power off options don't work as I expected. When I select Suspend, I get a small turning wheel symbol on TV screen which remains there indefinitely. The power button on the remote doesn't do anything and nor does the front button. Only power cycling seems to eventually restore the unit. How would I get the suspend described in the set up guide?

Selecting the Power Off option does seem work properly as it does a full shut down. The remote no longer can turn it on but the front button does. I expect that is correct, right?

vader1111

Quote from: PeteRyde on January 27, 2023, 11:59:19 PMI'm setting up my new IceBox but the power off options don't work as I expected. When I select Suspend, I get a small turning wheel symbol on TV screen which remains there indefinitely. The power button on the remote doesn't do anything and nor does the front button. Only power cycling seems to eventually restore the unit. How would I get the suspend described in the set up guide?

Selecting the Power Off option does seem work properly as it does a full shut down. The remote no longer can turn it on but the front button does. I expect that is correct, right?
That's a bit different to what I have seen with my beta testing IceBox - noting that we received slightly different hardware to the production boxes.

With the beta boxes, the IceBox did indeed go into a suspended mode - the problem was getting it to wake up again.  I found that it didn't respond to the remote control at all, while in Suspend mode, and the only way to wake it up again was to press the power button on the box.

I'm not sure how the production boxes differ in this regard.

This was one of the issues I raised during beta testing, so they are aware of it.  I'm not sure what (if any) fixes are in the pipeline.

MD

The Setup & User Guide explains on the third paragraph, as a "IMPORTANT NOTE" that we had to suspend the the power off button so the box turns back on again after a power cut.  No one wants to come home after a holiday to no recordings due to a power cut.  The remote "on-off" button or a brief press on the actual IceBox button brings up a menu with a power down option. At that point the little light goes out and the box "on" button works to bring it back on.

With the "Suspend" choice a longer press on the box "on" button should bring it back but it will also wake up for recordings.  Also "Suspend" will not function within a wake up for recording window which can be set in Settings via the Kodi Setting Cog.

Note at the end of the Setup & User Guide we advised to look at Kodi's web pages with links as if we try to copy every possibility into our Setup Guide no one would read it.  The Guide will be updated with a contents list to help when time allows.

PeteRyde

Quote from: MD on January 28, 2023, 12:05:25 PMThe Setup & User Guide explains on the third paragraph, as a "IMPORTANT NOTE" that we had to suspend the the power off button so the box turns back on again after a power cut. 

Absolutely understand that it should turn on after a power cut. Perhaps I was asking the wrong question. If I am not watching anything on the IceBox (but still want it to initiate timer recordings, update timers from IceTV, etc), is there a lower power setting than just normal "On". The equivalent of "Standby" mode on PVRs.
I thought "Suspend" may have done that from the description you gave. I looked at the Kodi Wiki and it suggested that suspend would turn off the display to the TV. However, when I select Suspend, the display flashes off and then on again and then the IceBox is non-responsive. You are right that if I hold the front power button long enough, then it looks like it restarts showing the IceTV logo and then Kodi.
Not sure if I have an incorrect setting somewhere I could check.

vader1111

I understand what you mean by "Suspend", and I agree that the IceBox is unresponsive once it enters this mode - it cannot be woken up by the remote control.  You need to press the power button on the IceBox itself, and this should wake it up.

AJFC

This is my first post, and 78yrs old so please bear with me.  I have just received a quad Ice Box and have connected the components as per "set up".  The aerial is connected to the splitter and the adaptors from aerial to usb are showing a green light. The usb connections seem OK.  I had a Beyonwiz T4 which had just died so used the same HDMI and Ethernet connections for the Ice Box.  I have a LG TV and that shows I am connected but have no signal (I checked this by disconnecting the HDMI cable and reconnecting).  Has anyone any idea where I have gone wrong

MD

Hi AJFC,

By no signal I'm assuming you mean no picture on the TV. If so:

1) Is the tiny white light beside the IceBox on/off button on?

2) If yes to (1) try simply unplugging and re-plugging the HDMI cable into the IceBox socket as occasionally I've found they need a little wiggle when first used. If no luck try the other IceBox HDMI socket as either can be used (though as best I know we've never had one with a faulty socket).

3) If no success with (2)leave the HDMI plugged in to either socket, unplug the IceBox power pin, wait a minute, then plug the power pin back in.

AJFC

Thank you MD - I told you I was old! The problem was that I hadn't switched it on!!!  All connections were fine but when I switched it on for the first time there was no response and my tv asked if it was switched on so I pressed the "on" switch a couple of times but the light didn't change so I presumed it was on.  It was only when I read the bit about restarting the box by removing power cord then inserting and pressing the power switch on for 5 seconds that it all came alive.  Perhaps that instruction should be given earlier to ensure it is on.  It will take a bit of getting used to but all is well so far.  Tony

MD

I checked your account and the IceBox is logging in every minute as it should which means any recording set via the iPhone/Android app or website appear virtually instantaneously on the IceBox's timer list, and as little ticks in the relevant show on its guide. However one thing to note is that at present any recording set on the actual IceBox's Guide do not synchronise with IceTV's app or website, so only show on the IceBox guide itself.  We are working on many updates to its software and one will be so that they do synchronise so please bear with us as we work through updates in their order of priority.