How long after a recording finishes should we try and play it - As skip function

Started by Ian_AW, April 27, 2024, 03:34:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian_AW

G'day,

How long after a recording finishes should we try and play it?

This has to do with the ad skip function.

I recorded the World SBK round from the Netherlands on SBS. I gave it a couple of minutes after the program finished, but this was not long enough and no Ad Skip information was created.

Thanks.

IanL-S

My understanding is that the add-skip process does not start until the recording is completed. Further only one recording can be processed at a time, so the delay may be several hours. The time taken to process is longer the greater the pre- and post- padding.
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

Ian_AW

Ok, I did some digging in the Recordings folder.

The broadcast scheduled for 2 pm to 3 pm.

With padding the timer went from 1:55 pm to 3:15 pm.

The most recently closed file in the recording's folder has a time stamp of 3:34 pm.

So, this is approximately 20 minutes.

It comes down to how variable this is based on recording length and if this changes at all.

Thanks.

IanL-S

The time taken can also change with the codec use - MPEG2 tends to be fast than h.264, and the resolution (higher the resolution longer the scan), and the bitrate. It is very complex!
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

MD

Ian_AW is roughly correct as our tests have shown approximately 20 minutes processing per hour. If more than one commercial show is recorded simultaneously we, as yet, can't control or discern which one is processed first so for  two it would be at least 40 minutes minimum plus padding time and, as IanL-S says, that may also vary according to resolution.  Personally I let them record one evening and view them the next at the earliest, so I have no impatience regarding the processing and have never found one missing its "AutoSkip".