Notifications of failed timers

Started by raymondjpg, August 07, 2023, 10:06:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

raymondjpg

Mindful of limited support for IceBox BYO I'm hoping someone here can help me out with a reason why I am getting Notifications of failed timers from a series recording with first runs and repeats I am trying to set up for a program airing multiple repeat episodes this week. The error reads "Could not find airing in the guide (title not matching), cannot schedule timer".

The errors arise when trying to set timers from both the IceTV web pages or from iPhone.

The timers have set without issue on a Beyonwiz T2.

The timers can be set manually from the Guide without issue on the IceBox BYO.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

IanL-S

As I understand it, this error message means that the EPG data for the program has not yet been downloaded. I suggest that you refresh the EPG data; got to Settings > add-ons > My add-ons> Services > IceTV > Configure
The fist item "force full guide update" should be highlighted, click on OK and a full EPG update will be made. There will be no indication this is happening.

Ian

PS No idea why you EPG data is not fully downloaded.
I have not seen this error message for a very long time, probably during the pre-release beta testing.
Get this type or error message frequently with Toppys, never with Beyonwiz.

IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

raymondjpg

Quote from: IanL-S on August 07, 2023, 02:10:57 PMAs I understand it, this error message means that the EPG data for the program has not yet been downloaded. I suggest that you refresh the EPG data; got to Settings > add-ons > My add-ons> Services > IceTV > Configure
The fist item "force full guide update" should be highlighted, click on OK and a full EPG update will be made. There will be no indication this is happening.

Ian

PS No idea why you EPG data is not fully downloaded.
I have not seen this error message for a very long time, probably during the pre-release beta testing.
Get this type or error message frequently with Toppys, never with Beyonwiz.
Thanks for the response.

I've pretty much done all you suggest. In my BYO standalone linux implementation, a guide refresh via the IceTV addon doesn't change the behaviour, and clearing guide data via PVR settings and rebooting the box doesn't either.

In the standalone setup I have four tuners and no timer conflicts at the time of these scheduling errors.

I thought maybe it had something to do with the R flag on the title, but the behaviour persisted with or without the flag.

It also occurred with another program which was scheduled for repeat showings during the week, so it looks like a persistent behaviour in the standalone IceBox BYO implementation for timers that specify First Runs and Repeats.

It does not occur for timers that specify First Runs Only.

Curiously a BYO implementation in a Virtualbox VM behaves perfectly normally wrt timers for First Runs and Repeats.

It's a mystery to me.

For now I have set up a timer rule to work around the issue in the standalone.

Edit:
Looks like the "R" flag in the titles is the culprit. I had to disable it in my recorders, then clear the EPG via settings then reboot the box to get rid of them. Just disabling it in my recorders was not sufficient.

A pity, because I like to see that flag in the IceBox Guide.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

IanL-S

Yes, if you include the "[R]" tag in the recording Title that happens. It is a real pain; I include it at the end of the subtitle.

I had assumed, without any reason for doing so, that it no longer happens. TVHeadend spits the dummy if it is at the end of the title (and presumably at the beginning).

When the issue arose initially, I was told that very few users use the [R] tag flag in the recorder settings.
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

raymondjpg

Quote from: IanL-S on August 07, 2023, 04:21:45 PMYes, if you include the "[R]" tag in the recording Title that happens. It is a real pain; I include it at the end of the subtitle.

I had assumed, without any reason for doing so, that it no longer happens. TVHeadend spits the dummy if it is at the end of the title (and presumably at the beginning).

When the issue arose initially, I was told that very few users use the [R] tag flag in the recorder settings.
While it may be true that "very few users use the [R] tag flag in the recorder settings" the repeat flag has to be one of the major appeals of subscribing to IceTV. Seeing the flag in the guide is a useful indication to me of whether or not to set a recording from the guide, which I might otherwise have missed in the normal course of events.

The T2 can cope, and although I recall seeing a warning about this early in the life of IceBox, I would have thought, or at least hoped, that it would have been sorted by now.

nathgreco

Hi, this seems to be happening to me to, where about in the settings is the R tag?  it is handy to see but I guess its just going to be a mystery until we press play if we have seen it or not

raymondjpg

Quote from: nathgreco on August 10, 2023, 08:24:30 AMHi, this seems to be happening to me to, where about in the settings is the R tag?  it is handy to see but I guess its just going to be a mystery until we press play if we have seen it or not
I had the "R" tag at the end of the Title, but according to IanL-S it seems likely to happen if the "R" tag is anywhere in the Title. Like IanL-S I tried it at the end of the Subtitle, and while I did not get any notification of failed timers, one of two repeat ptograms I was trying to schedule disappeared from the timer list in the IceBox, even though My Week showed a full red circle as if the tumer had been set correctly. This behaciour was repeatable.

I've now abandoned having the "R" tag anywhere in the Title or Subtitle. Reliability of program timer scheduling is more important for me.