Harmony remotes and Skippa

Started by injidup, June 15, 2015, 01:01:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave at IceTV

I don't how long it takes Logitech to add a new device to their database.

Once it's there it should be listed as:

Manufacturer: IceTV
Model: SKIPPA
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

bodogbodog

Quote from: FMB on July 30, 2015, 04:04:20 PM
I assume we'll need to know the Manufacturer and Model Number to find it in https://support.myharmony.com/en/compatibility.
Interestingly even the SKIPPA alter ego the Altech 9600 is not in the Harmony database either  (at least not that I can find) - so we can't even try using that
Beyonwiz V2: 4 HDTV Tuners, 16gb SD + unRaid 10TB NAS + IceTV Skippa (for old times sake - make me an offer and it's yours!)
Beyonwiz V2: 2 HDTV Tuners - spare

warkus

Yes it is...

Which ever dill at Logitech entered it in did so under..

Al Tech
Model 9600

Mark

prl

Entries for the Beyonwiz T2 and T4 have only recently made it into the Harmony database. I'm not sure when Beyonwiz gave them the information.

I also don't know who's responsible for the fact that it looks like the entry for the T4 has T2 codes.  :(
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

bodogbodog

Quote from: warkus on July 30, 2015, 06:20:10 PM
Al Tech
Thanks - I should have tried that I guess  :-[
So worst case that might provide some basic functionality for a SKIPPA if the correct one isn't available
Beyonwiz V2: 4 HDTV Tuners, 16gb SD + unRaid 10TB NAS + IceTV Skippa (for old times sake - make me an offer and it's yours!)

Dave at IceTV

Quote from: bodogbodog on July 30, 2015, 07:30:54 PM
Quote from: warkus on July 30, 2015, 06:20:10 PM
Al Tech
Thanks - I should have tried that I guess  :-[
So worst case that might provide some basic functionality for a SKIPPA if the correct one isn't available

No. Worst case is that Skippa's remote codes are completely different to that Al Tech device in the Logitech database. So don't waste your time with that device code.
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

warkus

Which is exactly what I would have thought, just because it's made by the same OEM doesn't mean the remote shares codes...

I'm really not sure where this rumour started that the skippa is the same as the 9600, that is simply untrue. It may share manufacturers, but as has been mentioned, it's not the same beast, it's another generation beyond. And even if it was the same, it's made for a different vendor so sharing remote codes is not guaranteed.

Just because it has similar EPG guides and manual info doesn't make it the same.

Mark

IanL-S

Quote from: warkus on July 30, 2015, 08:34:46 PM
Which is exactly what I would have thought, just because it's made by the same OEM doesn't mean the remote shares codes...

I would expect it to have a different device code. Many of the individual command codes may well be the same; however RCUs transmit both the device code and the command code each time you press a key.
Quote from: warkus on July 30, 2015, 08:34:46 PM
I'm really not sure where this rumour started that the skippa is the same as the 9600, that is simply untrue. It may share manufacturers, but as has been mentioned, it's not the same beast, it's another generation beyond. And even if it was the same, it's made for a different vendor so sharing remote codes is not guaranteed.

Just because it has similar EPG guides and manual info doesn't make it the same.

Mark

Definitely a different SoC on the Skippa. As far as I can work out the specifications of the two SoC are identical except that the one used by Skippa has on-board wifi. The 9600 is heavier and has a larger case (to support the 3.5" HDD). The way many of the functions appear to work, and the functions included or excluded, suggest that they may well share a significant amount of code (assuming the (OEM is Altech).

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

FMB

It's become a bit of a ghost town in here since the recent announcement about the latest delay.

In an attempt to break the monotony, I have some good news. The Skippa is now available in the Harmony remote database. You can add it in as a device and set up activities.

I figure that by the time I've finally finished setting mine up, my Skippa will be here.

warkus

Great news! Thanks. For the post dude...

:)

bodogbodog

Quote from: FMB on August 07, 2015, 10:52:04 AM
I figure that by the time I've finally finished setting mine up, my Skippa will be here.
Thanks - I was going to check tonight - all updated now. Some interesting commands included - nice to see things like  Auto Skip - had no idea what # , * will do until I re-read the manual (page 8)
I cant see how I will be able to switch between LIVE and Recorded TV - as I currently do on my Beyonwiz  - no commands on the Harmony look like they will do that
The other thing to do to get ready for Skippa is to set up all your programmes and series in IceTV to record on Skippa - its a good way to see if the three tuners are going to cope with all your recording requirements. I've found one time slot that I need more than 3 channels so will have to get the Windows Media Centre doing some recording as well as Skippa

csutak40

Quote from: bodogbodog on August 07, 2015, 06:57:47 PM
I've found one time slot that I need more than 3 channels so will have to get the Windows Media Centre doing some recording as well as Skippa

LOL, you'd better not update to Win10, in that case.   :P  No Windows Media Centre!  :'(  I use it not just for conflicts, but also for things I want to keep long term.  Will have to find an alternative.
Cheers,
Judy
Last Update Dec 9 2020; Beyonwiz V2, T2,

bodogbodog

Quote from: csutak40 on August 07, 2015, 08:02:12 PM
LOL, you'd better not update to Win10, in that case.   :P  No Windows Media Centre!  :'(  I use it not just for conflicts, but also for things I want to keep long term.  Will have to find an alternative.
Yes it's sad that Microsoft walked away from Media Center as a product - I'll keep my Media Center (quite happy to keep one system on Win 7) and my Windows Home Server (another abandoned Microsoft product) going for as long as possible
As an aside I just upgraded one system to Win 10 today and found that one of my favourite apps - Microsoft Money (another abandoned Microsoft product - gee this is getting to be common) wouldn't run but fortunately it was easy enough to find a workaround to get it running (what did people used to do before Google and the net  ;D)
My understand is that Skippa will record in MP4 format (I'm not 100% sure of that) so keeping files for the long term and being able to play them via common platforms should be easy enough - so that means that Media Center won't be so important going forward
Can't wait for my Skippa to arrive

Paul55

Quote from: csutak40 on August 07, 2015, 08:02:12 PM

Why not use Kodi? It's free and has the PVR function. Then you don't have to worry about maintaining an outdated and, ultimately, unsupported version of Windows.

raymondjpg

Quote from: Paul55 on August 08, 2015, 07:26:58 AMWhy not use Kodi? It's free and has the PVR function. Then you don't have to worry about maintaining an outdated and, ultimately, unsupported version of Windows.
Kodi is hardly a PVR, more LiveTV, and certainly not ICE enabled or Ice Interactive like WMC. Others have asked IceTV for an Ice Interactive alternative to WMC without any success so far.

Microsoft is fond of pushing its more recent versions of Windows on consumers, but the general opinion is that every other version is a lemon. So Windows 8 users might benefit from an update to Windows 10, but hardly Windows 7 users. Windows 7 will be supported by Microsoft beyond 2020, and nothing that I have seen of Windows 10 (I have the first release installed in a Virtual Machine as an update to the Technical Preview) would persuade me to relinquish Windows 7 in favour of it.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD