Folder remain after deleting a recording

Started by NBOSTI, April 27, 2024, 07:41:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NBOSTI

So I took the plunge and purchased an Icebox.
Initial setup was fairly easy.
I was vey sceptical on how well the ad skip function would work, but have been very impressed so far.
Even on ABC channels, leaving the padding to 3 minutes on start, when I play back the recording it jumps straight to the start of program. Displaying length of skip.
With the latest update I like that I can change the padding on each individual "Timer' from the Home Screen. I really don't want to enter TVheadend via web. I like the K.I.S.S. approach. I am the last "S'.

I can access IceBox from "Finder" on my iMac easy enough.
The thing is after I watch a recording on the Icebox and delete it a folder still shows up in "Finder" for that recording. Usually with 5 files contained as opposed to 8 before deleting the recording on IceBox. The mkv file is not present as I would expect, being the actual recording.
So my question is, will those folders be persistent? I can remove them easily enough using Finder, but it can become confusing if the recording is part of a series recording as only 1 parent folder shows for each.
I understand that they don't use up much storage space. I thought I saw a post relating to this as to them being files associated with the adskip functionality and that they would be removed overnight, but I have left them alone for a few days and they are still showing in "Finder" unless I delete them  from there.
Is this normal?

raymondjpg

Quote from: NBOSTI on April 27, 2024, 07:41:33 PMThe thing is after I watch a recording on the Icebox and delete it a folder still shows up in "Finder" for that recording.
If you are deleting the mkvs using the iMac, then try deleting them through the IceBox interface and see if that fixes your problem.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

NBOSTI

I delete them after watching on the IceBox itself.
 The recording itself will not show on the IceBox after deleting, only that remaining Folder with associated files minus the mkv file shows up in Finder.
I am no tech wizard, so have no idea . If you run a Mac, could you see if you get the same?

NBOSTI

Just wondering why the folders still show up in Finder on my Mac after deleting using the Icebox itself.
I noticed that on the IceBox the option is to delete "Recording", which I assume to be the mkv file.
On other dvr's I have used, that would delete all associated files.But other files seem to remain.
I don't know if it is a Mac thing or what, just curious as to why.

IanL-S

The files associated with add-skip function are not deleted when your delete the recording. There is a clean-up routine that runs every night which is supposed to remove the files. Not sure if it is activated at the moment. Kodi only shows directories in "Recordings" that have either a *.ts or *.mkv file - the recordings themselves.

The cleanup is prevented "around" the time that recordings are scheduled, so if you do a lot of recordings overnight they may not be deleted.
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

raymondjpg

Quote from: NBOSTI on April 27, 2024, 10:24:25 PMIf you run a Mac, could you see if you get the same?
I only have Macs running in vMs, and have comskip disabled. So an atypical setup and probably not worth trying, particularly in light of IanL-S's recent post. The suggestion is wait a while and see if the adskip files eventually disappear.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

MD

As we are continually improving the IceTV software integration things like residual files, albeit small, are on our to-do list to remove.

NBOSTI

Thank you Raymondjpg, IanL-S and MD for all replies.
I will wait to see what happens. A small bug, was just curious as to why it occurred.

Ian_AW

G'day,

Here is a DIR listing of my Recordings folder. Now who would have thought A CMD prompt and a CMD/DOS window with the DIR command and redirection would have been of use all these years later!

Currently I only have recordings for:

Movie_ Pirates Of The Caribbean_ Curse Of
 Movie_ The Pink Panther 2
 Elon Musk's Twitter Takeover
 Movie_ The Bourne Ultimatum
 Hornby_ A Model Empire
 Doordarshan India Prime Time News
 Pointless

Do all the other folders need to be there? Some are getting close to a year old.

raymondjpg

Quote from: Ian_AW on April 29, 2024, 01:31:34 PMDo all the other folders need to be there? Some are getting close to a year old.
As I understand it the folder option(s) are there in case one wishes to have "like" recordings grouped together, like say "ABC News". Your folders are there waiting for other instances of recordings "like" those originally recorded to those folders. So if there is no intention to record "like" series, there's no point in keeping the folders. IceBox doesn't know that, so to remove them they must be deleted manually, either through the IceBox GUI or the SMB shares.

Personally I don't use the folder option(s), and they can be disabled in the TVHeadend GUI at Configuration|Recording|Digital Video Recording Profiles|Subdirectory Settings.