Author Topic: Yahoo Widget still my favourite - any chance for a channel name update?  (Read 399 times)

Offline JPP

• Guru
    • View Profile
I am now, and have been for the past year, been running Win 10 and the old Yahoo Widget. I still prefer it over the full blown Web page thingymejiggy. I also use it to set Recordings which is why it would be nice to to see all of the new channels listed. Is anyone else also still using it btw?

I wonder and very kindly ask if anyone at ICETV would still be able to update it so that we have all of the new HD channels' names listed - Dave very generously updated the listings last time  :) :) . At the moment ABC HD and 7 HD need adding, and the old SBS TWO renamed to SBS Viceland.  I may have missed another one or two?
Phil.
Topfield TRF 2400 x 2, Beyonwiz T2, DVDO Duo Video Processor

Online csutak40

• Guru
    • View Profile
I use it too.   :-[

As you say, I prefer to have a quick look on there to see what's on, instead of opening the webpage (and I hardly ever use my phone while at home and even when I look on the phone ore the Web, it certainly isn't as quick and easy to find out what's on tomorrow at 8pm, say)

I am not that interested in the HD channels (if the shows run on two channels) what I would LOVE is to make it scrollable as they no longer fit on the screen

I don't like my chances though  ;D
Cheers,
Judy
IceBox2;Windows 7 Media Center;Topfield5000PVRt; Last Update Feb 20 2006; PBK10.15; EPG_Uploader3.26beta6; JustEPG16.3c; mcgCYRResume1.0; and TEDS 7.10.1.512; Beyonwiz T4, T2

Offline Lindsay

• View Profile
It is my primary TV schedule.
I keep two Widgets running, one set to "My Upcoming Shows" and one showing "TV guide".
I connect to the web manually and intermittently and update my TV recording schedule manually.
I use IceTV for advisory information only.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 09:57:00 AM by Lindsay »

Offline MD

• TV TV Australia MD
    • View Profile
Hi everyone,  I'm afraid we cannot support any updates to the Yahoo! Widget.  They stopped supporting it in 2012 and, although open source, very few people now use it.  See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yahoo!_Widgets

Offline yereverluvinunclebert

• View Profile
Re: Yahoo Widget still my favourite - any chance for a channel name update?
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 11:58:44 PM »
Sorry for the late response, only just found the original post.

Just to correct an inaccurate reply earlier. Yahoo widgets is not open source, it is actually free but abandonware in its desktop form. Strangely, it is still actively under development and supported as the Yahoo TV widget engine and powers lots and lots of Samsung and other TVs. However that doesn't help you as the desktop version is no longer supported by Yahoo.

The confusion arises because the code that comprises your widget itself is entirely open source being editable and modifiable by yourself whenever you want to make changes.  You need the yahoo widget converter that converts a flatfile widget into something you can edit  http://www.softpedia.com/get/Windows-Widgets/Widget-Miscellaneous/Widget-Converter.shtml.

Then you edit the files with a text editor. You will see a .KON file and perhaps some .js files. They contain the program logic. It is merely XML and javascript, commonly used scripting languages that anyone with some competency with web design will be able to modify with confidence.

I hope this is useful to the OP.

Share via facebook Share via twitter

xx
Yahoo Widget randomly disappearing from screen

Started by JPP on Yahoo! Widget

2 Replies
Last post June 12, 2015, 02:53:11 PM
by JPP
xx
Problem with Yahoo Widget 2.16 (28)

Started by Gary on Yahoo! Widget

0 Replies