Author Topic: Widget lock-ups on dial-up only?  (Read 6073 times)

Offline Lindsay

• View Profile
Widget lock-ups on dial-up only?
« on: July 13, 2008, 01:20:11 PM »
I have been using both Ice TV widgets for a few weeks and the only problem with them is that they lose functionality, display and lock up when they cannot access the internet. I am sure that with DSL (being always up) this is not a problem. As I am on dial-up it is a problem. 
Have I missed dong something on instal or set up, not checked a box for connection options etc? If I am already doing everything properly with the widgets as they are, would it be possible to modify them so that they check for a connection to the net before attempting to update?
Any advice will be appreciated.

Regards Lindsay

Offline Lindsay

• View Profile
Re: Widget lock-ups on dial-up only?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 11:19:39 AM »
So far it would appear that the problem relates to dial-up only, of very limited interest, and mostly or eventually rectified with a widget close and re-open while connected to the net. At least when they're not working the Widgets are at least worth what I paid for them.
Thanks for the view only interest.
God answers all prayers - sometimes the answer is "No". I have signed up to have IceTV for 1 yr as the problem may be solved as a side effect of a yet to be written update.
Rgds Lindsay

Offline Marc

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 05:01:00 PM »
We'll see what we can do about this. We have a 2.2 version of the Yahoo widget due to be released soon. All going well we'll be able to make things work a little better on dial up.

Are you using XP, Vista or OS X?

Offline Lindsay

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 11:28:34 AM »
Marc-IceTV : -  We'll see what we can do about this. We have a 2.2 version of the Yahoo widget due to be released soon. All going well we'll be able to make things work a little better on dial up... ..Are you using XP, Vista or OS X?

Thanks for the reply Mark. I am using XP sp3 - fully up to date.
I'm glad that the Widget update planning includes ongoing consideration of concerns raised in this forum. As in my original post I like both Widgets in that they on claim what they do and do what they claim, but I was concerned that I was doing something not actually wrong but perhaps not fully right.
As I got no user feed-back such as "Fill box <such and such> on menu <whatever> I figured that I had done all that I could and that as is normal with Widgets, an always on connection is assumed.

I look forward to 2.2 and beyond if my (minor) problem takes longer to address. Or I could join the 20th Century and get DSL if pushed. ;-)}

Regards Lindsay

Offline Lindsay

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 08:32:06 AM »
Marc-IceTV : -  We'll see what we can do about this. We have a 2.2 version of the Yahoo widget due to be released soon. All going well we'll be able to make things work a little better on dial up... ..Are you using XP, Vista or OS X?

Thanks for the reply Mark. I am using XP sp3 - fully up to date. .. <snip>.. Or I could join the 20th Century and get DSL if pushed. ;-)}
-------- end quotes
No lock-ups since 2.2  installed, many thanks. As the lock-ups have continued on "TV guide only" Widget the conditions previously causing the lock-up on both Widgets continue but no longer disable the "Remote" Widget. Well done to the team.

I seems I can avoid joining the 20th Century for a bit after all.
Regards Lindsay

Offline Marc

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 10:19:13 PM »
Great to hear!

Offline timace

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 03:05:16 PM »
Actually, I noticed this too when using the older version, while I'm on ADSL, it occasionally happened. Dunno about with this new version yet, I only installed it a few hours ago.

Share via facebook Share via twitter

xx
Yahoo Widget still my favourite - any chance for a channel name update?

Started by JPP on Yahoo! Widget

4 Replies
Last post November 13, 2017, 11:58:44 PM
by yereverluvinunclebert
xx
Widget in Win10?

Started by csutak40 on Yahoo! Widget

6 Replies
Last post July 16, 2016, 10:35:22 AM
by JPP
xx
New channels names not showing up on Widget