Author Topic: Interface issue: Make it bigger damnit!11one  (Read 5617 times)

Offline Shwanger

• View Profile
Interface issue: Make it bigger damnit!11one
« on: July 14, 2008, 08:02:05 PM »
No, I'm not old or blind,. but someone along the way should have realized that the widget is more than likely to be used on a media center. 

My problem is simple,. from the couch, the font size is way too small and there is no option to make it bigger.  Sure, maybe an 80 inch screen could help, but dude,. options>fontsize>large = not brain surgery.

The service is fine, but he interface frustrating to use in what is probably the most typical scenario.

Offline Marc

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Interface issue: Make it bigger damnit!11one
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 10:58:12 AM »
We definitely agree that the widget isn't easy to read on a TV screen. That's not the intended use though, as your Media Center software or PVR already has ways of viewing the EPG and scheduling recordings with a large user interface. The widget is intended for use on a home or work desktop or laptop.

A note about widgets.
Widgets are visually quite compact and are intended for use on a desktop computer or laptop. We don't recommend trying to use our IceTV Widget on a TV screen as the text will be too small to read easily. Please use the full screen EPG on your Media Center PC, Mac or PVR for scheduling recordings from your TV.

http://www.icetv.com.au/cgi-bin/websupport.cgi?op=show_faq&faq_id=114&faq_cat_id=6

Offline marcusstringer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 03:34:07 PM »
We definitely agree that the widget isn't easy to read on a TV screen. That's not the intended use though, as your Media Center software or PVR already has ways of viewing the EPG and scheduling recordings with a large user interface. The widget is intended for use on a home or work desktop or laptop.

A note about widgets.
Widgets are visually quite compact and are intended for use on a desktop computer or laptop. We don't recommend trying to use our IceTV Widget on a TV screen as the text will be too small to read easily. Please use the full screen EPG on your Media Center PC, Mac or PVR for scheduling recordings from your TV.

http://www.icetv.com.au/cgi-bin/websupport.cgi?op=show_faq&faq_id=114&faq_cat_id=6

I totally agree with Marc.

Why would you have the widget running  as well???? makes no sense.

You would give up an instant record feature to use a web based feature which has a massive delay time....

Marcus
Twitter: @MarcusStringer
www.midlandtypsetters.com.au

Offline Shwanger

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 10:07:43 PM »
I totally agree with Marc.

Why would you have the widget running  as well???? makes no sense.

You would give up an instant record feature to use a web based feature which has a massive delay time....

Because depending on your current TV software, you may not be content with the EPG layout.  I like the Ice widget because I can just flick it up, take a look, then knock it off without going into an ugly cumbersome interface (sort of the point of widgets as a whole).  Most EPGs force you to go into a screen which includes a small screen of whats playing, and may or may not display program information for ALL channels at the same time without scrolling up and down and along in time. They also may or may not include a program synopsis without obtrusively changing screens again.  Essentialy, Ice allows me to 'browse' the EPG efficiently and at a glance rather than going into EPG mode (if you catch my drift).  It looks nice, has good data, but its just too damn small.  It also works well in partnership with the TV when I'm just running the TV in a window whilst working on other things.  I guess I was greedy to ask for a change that I felt would make the 'Perfect App'.

I will however apologize for all the !!11one stuff,. its not like it made me angry.  I felt I was offering a suggestion to improve the product.

oh ya,. If I want to instantly record,. I press record.  If I want to record something in the future, A 5 min lag makes no difference.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 10:14:35 PM by Shwanger »

Offline Marc

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 10:25:26 AM »
Thanks Shwanger. I understand where you're coming from and it's a big complement to hear that you prefer our widget to the EPG interface (even if the widget is way too small for your purpose). I'm not sure adding a method to enlarge the widget will be easy or likely, but that doesn't mean there isn't another solution.

What software are you using and what don't you like about it?

Offline Shwanger

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 05:55:20 PM »
I'm not sure adding a method to enlarge the widget will be easy or likely, but that doesn't mean there isn't another solution.

What software are you using and what don't you like about it?

Screenshot,. My EPG vs IceTV Widget:
http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/2605/epg03kg0.jpg

I just use the FusionHDTV (3.68 ) EPG.  It functions exactly as intended.  But just like every EPG provided by whatever media package you'd care to list, it's unformatted and unconfigurable tripe.

What's wrong with it:

1) No restriction to favorite channels.
2) Limited timescale viewable at any time.
3) Limited number of stations viewable at any time.
4) Truncation of text in horizontal grid often reduces the program titles to 3 letters and then '...' (useless!).
5) No programme details (other software may provide that, but fixing that alone still leaves it far from adequate).

Long story short, its a poor way to just 'see what's on the telly'.

Prior to using the IceTV widget, I used a website EPG (there are a few good ones) with a shortcut link to it from my "desktop". They worked fine and programme details which come with links to official and fan websites and to IMDB are farken awesome.  They just don't offer recording functionality.

I guess with XMLTV data available, there with be several providers popping up.  The war will begin, and will be won by whoever has the best interface,. cos lets face it, its a superficial world.  Were your service a DOSbox with an ascii code interface, sure we could appreciate the functions that you provide, but no-one would use it.

I like your interface,. just make the fonts larger. 150% would probably do the trick. ;)

Share via facebook Share via twitter