Author Topic: Gadget for Windows Vista  (Read 19896 times)

Offline madenglis

• View Profile
Gadget for Windows Vista
« on: February 22, 2007, 09:45:08 PM »
Good evening all.  I just subscribed to IceTV for 12 months and I'm looking forward to using the server.  Does anyone know of, or are any Windows Vista Sidebar Gadgets planned for IceTV, instead of just a yahoo Widget?

Offline Marc

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Gadget for Windows Vista
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 01:09:06 PM »
Hi. That would probably be (partially) my job.

I've worked on some other Vista Gadgets (info here!). So I guess the answers are...

Will we have an IceTV Windows Vista Gadget? Almost certainly.
Are we making one right now? No. But it is planned.
Will it have all the functionality of the Y!WE and Dashboard widgets? That's quite hard to say. Gadgets are quite different in a lot of respects. The sidebar has some limitations, especially regarding maximum and minimum sizes. That might require us to redesign the gadget a fair bit.

We plan to make widgets/gadgets where applicable for other parts of our service too. They're a whole lot of fun and very useful, so it's certainly a tech we'll actively support.

Offline kheven

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007, 05:11:48 PM »
Hey Marc...any updates on the vista gadgets for IceTV?

Offline Marc

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 09:51:47 AM »
We're definitely planning a refresh of all the widgets at some point soonish.

Can't really say much at this point (sorry, I know that sucks as an answer). I will say this though: we hear you and we know that people want it :)

Offline bodogbodog

• IceTV Beta
  • Guru
    • View Profile
Gadget for Windows Vista - any update on when?
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 03:15:40 PM »
We're definitely planning a refresh of all the widgets at some point soonish.
Can't really say much at this point (sorry, I know that sucks as an answer). I will say this though: we hear you and we know that people want it :)

Ok - so you hear us and know people want it - that was very encouraging
However it's been a long time since this post and still no sign of a VISTA Gadget
I really dont want to have to install the Yahoo Gadget engine on my clean VISTA install

Can you give us ANY idea of when we will see a VISTA gadget released like the one that works on Windows XP based on the Yahoo engine?

Edit: Joining the dots - there is some more recent discussion on the VISTA gadget here - http://www.icetv.com.au/iceforum/index.php?topic=898.0;topicseen

Add me to the potential beta tester list  :D
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 03:33:38 PM by bodogbodog »
Beyonwiz T2 1gb + E8400 Win Svr 2013, 4GB RAM, 8TB storage, Tiny Twin USB Tuner, Hauppauge WinTV NOVA TD-500 Tuner + IceTV Skippa

Offline Marc

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 04:15:23 PM »
Here's a video of the Mac OS X Dashboard widget in action

Please note that's the version we're building first. We're still investigating the Vista gadget... to be brutally honest, it's going to be a very big challenge.

Offline bodogbodog

• IceTV Beta
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 04:50:50 PM »
Very nice! - love to have that

Is there really more demand for a MAC gadget versus a VISTA one? - or is it the technical difficulties of doing the VISTA one that is the primary issue?

Offline Marc

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 12:04:31 AM »
Is there really more demand for a MAC gadget versus a VISTA one? - or is it the technical difficulties of doing the VISTA one that is the primary issue?
Windows XP, Vista, Linux and OS X are all used in the IceTV office and we also have a really good mix of those OSs in our customer base, so there's big demand for all widget platforms.

Vista is going to be the most used OS in the world at some point soon(ish!), so building a Vista gadget is very important to us.

Technically Mac Dashboard Widgets, Vista Gadgets and Yahoo! Widget Engine widgets are very different and almost require a complete rewrite for each platform. All three engines are good, but my experience has been that Vista gadgets are currently the hardest to write and the most limited in what's easily possible. Please note that the new widget does a million times more than the version 1 widget... big job! We'll do our best though.

Disclaimer and more info: Generally we wouldn't talk about unreleased software or services, so I hope the honesty and openness on our part is appreciated. It is great getting direct feedback though, as it lets us focus on the things that make more of a difference.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 12:12:14 AM by marc@iSlayer »

Offline madenglis

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 02:06:52 PM »
Here's a video of the Mac OS X Dashboard widget in action

Please note that's the version we're building first. We're still investigating the Vista gadget... to be brutally honest, it's going to be a very big challenge.

It's fast approaching 2 years since I asked about a Vista gadget.  I'm now testing Windows 7, where gadgets are free to sit anywhere on the desktop and have no size restictions (not limited to the gadget bar).  We're still a year away from Windows 7, so something for Vista would be nice :-)

Offline bodogbodog

• IceTV Beta
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 06:51:58 PM »
Very nice! - love to have that
[/quote

Gee how quickly a year goes by

Hope you remember those of us who asked for it when it comes time for beta testing

Offline rdlean

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2009, 01:12:18 PM »
just throwing in my support for a windows 7 icetv gadget   8)

Offline bodogbodog

• IceTV Beta
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2009, 07:39:36 PM »
just throwing in my support for a windows 7 icetv gadget   8)

Blow - I thought when I got the new post alert that there was progress on a Win7 gadget for IceTV

I don't think ones coming anytime soon unfortunately

Offline bodogbodog

• IceTV Beta
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2009, 10:17:26 PM »
Will we have an IceTV Windows Vista Gadget? Almost certainly.
Are we making one right now? No. But it is planned.
Will it have all the functionality of the Y!WE and Dashboard widgets? That's quite hard to say

Any update on development of a Vista or Win7 gadget? You can't say we haven't been patient  ;D

Offline bodogbodog

• IceTV Beta
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2009, 07:06:33 AM »
Any update on development of a Vista or Win7 gadget? You can't say we haven't been patient  ;D

I know Win7 Interactive will have been the priority recently - but any progress on creating a Win7 gadget?

Offline bodogbodog

• IceTV Beta
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2009, 11:19:20 AM »
bump...

Any joy on a Win7 widget? (native as opposed to a Yahoo variant)

Share via facebook Share via twitter

xx
That Gadget Show needs to be marked as a Series

Started by bodogbodog on IceTV EPG Content

1 Replies
Last post January 25, 2011, 11:35:44 PM
by bodogbodog