Author Topic: Standby and overnight Guide updates  (Read 4386 times)

Offline DanM

• View Profile
Standby and overnight Guide updates
« on: January 31, 2006, 11:22:13 AM »
MCE had rollup 2. All works well. Goes into standby after recording, however it doesn't go back into standby after overnight guide update. Hoping for simple fix without resorting to 'hibernator' program.

Offline Nudge

• View Profile
Re: Standby and overnight Guide updates
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 01:12:44 AM »
Hey Dan, even though I'm a "hibernator" user, have you tried using the GuideTime APP available at the green button site and setting your update time to a time when your MC is in use. I have mine set for 1830 each evening..just an idea..no need to wake up / standby.

Offline Mantorok

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 02:12:11 PM »
Hi Dan,

I'm getting the exact same thing on my MCE HTPC.

I just finished building it on the weekend and the last 2 nights I found the HTPC was on when I got up in the morning.  Looked at the Event Log and the last thing to happen was an EPG Upload at 3:25am.

It seems to leave Windows in a strange state.  At first there's nothing on the display but as soon as I press a button on the keyboard it becomes visible.  Its not the screen saver as it doesn't display the Windows MCE message at random locations.  Also I set the machine to go into standby after 20 minutes of inactivity but it never kicks in.

Did you find a work around for this Dan?  Did ICE Support help?

Offline Shane

• Vista Premium & Elgato EyeTV User
    • View Profile
    • shasam.net
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2006, 12:12:55 AM »
I know it isn't freeware, but Auto Power-Down from http://www.lifsoft.com/ is working really well for me.

I have it setup with a schedule to try a standby at midnight, then 1am, then 2am; so if the standby at the first or second fails due to a program recording then the third should catch it (what is on at 2am in the morning I would want to record?).

I then have it scheduled to wake the machine up at 6am, where I have configured my guide to update at 6:15am, and then the "Cannot Schedule Recording because guide could not be accessed" fix is run (http://blogs.msdn.com/peterrosser/archive/2006/02/15/DvbGuideProblem.aspx) at 6:30am. I'm not sure if I need to run that fix or not (does standby work like a restart?) but I do it just in case.

That way my machine is running whenever I want my Xbox 360 to connect as a Media Center Extender, but saves power overnight whilst no-one is watching TV.

Regards,
Shane.
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 10:00:00 AM by shane »
Shuttle SB83G5M (P4 630 nVidia 6600) running Vista Premium with:
Hauppauge Nova-T 500 MCE Tuner|Ice TV Guide|PIMP|Buffalo LinkStation HD-H160LAN & HD-HG300LAN|Xbox 360 MCE

Offline Mantorok

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2006, 07:20:12 PM »
I think I may have found the cause of this problem.  Seems like Microsoft introduced a bug in a Windows Update

Media Center will not correctly enter standby mode if the TV tuner was used prior to going into standby

This is a recently discovered regression introduced in Update Rollup 2 that we are currently working on a fix for.  Once a fix is ready, it will likely be included in the next Media Center hotfix rollup package.  The only known workaround at this time is to disable Media Center sounds by navigating to Settings | General | Visual and Sound Effects and unchecking the box labeled Play sounds while navigating Media Center.

Once I made this change MCE went back into standby after the IceEPG update.

Share via facebook Share via twitter

xx
Few issues coming out of standby

Started by Cashie on Humax

16 Replies
Last post May 27, 2014, 01:20:03 PM
by Cashie
xx
IceTV remote scheduling on standby?

Started by jeffoz1 on Humax

1 Replies
Last post January 15, 2014, 05:19:43 PM
by Dave at IceTV
xx
Topfield in standby polling IceTV - how is it done?

Started by ploughguy on Topfield

1 Replies
Last post December 11, 2013, 10:34:41 PM
by Paul55
xx
standby confusion and sharing via dlna?!

Started by aliwake1 on Humax

7 Replies
Last post March 13, 2013, 09:49:04 AM
by aliwake1