Author Topic: PIMPmyMCE v1.0.0.4 available for testing  (Read 7347 times)

Offline Daniel Hall at IceTV

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • View Profile
    • IceTV
PIMPmyMCE v1.0.0.4 available for testing
« on: September 27, 2006, 04:41:42 PM »
A new PIMPmyMCE client is up on the server and ready for testing.

The fixes/changes include:

- Pre/post padding options to the config tab are now working for all scheduled recordings, whether they have been scheduled via PIMP or not.

- PIMPmyMCE will minimise to the system tray.

- A few other misc bugfixes and error handling.

The new client can be downloaded from http://www.icetv.com.au/cgi-bin/downloads.cgi?op=get_file&number=13

Please post any feedback regarding this version in this thread.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 04:44:22 PM by Daniel Hall »
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.

Offline GlenR

• View Profile
Re: PIMPmyMCE v1.0.0.4 available for testing
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 05:20:53 PM »
Excellent! I shall give it a try. Like the pre and post padding changes - really useful!  :)

Offline nac6

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 01:49:18 PM »
Hi,

I upgraded to the new version 1.0.0.4 over the existing 1.0.0.3. So far it seems to be working fine. Although I have a few questions:-

1. I tried to schedule several recordings from web today and although it seemed to accept them after a short while I checked under the "Scheduled" tab and they came up as black "Recording cancelled on MCE machine", but under the "TV Guide" tab they appear Red. I had to re-schedule them on the MCE machine directly. Now there are duplicate entires under "Scheduled"

2. Is there a way of cleaning out what the PIMP server thinks is happening and reload from scratch.

3. Just to confirm, when using the PIMP client with the guide updates enabled, the built in MCE auto download of EPG should be disabled?

4. Could you please explain how the padding works? If it auto adds soft padding to all new and existing once and series scheduled recordings, should I now remove all hard padding?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 01:53:56 PM by nac6 »

Offline Shane

• Vista Premium & Elgato EyeTV User
    • View Profile
    • shasam.net
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 05:46:45 PM »
I've been beta testing this update for a month or so now so will try and assist.

3. Just to confirm, when using the PIMP client with the guide updates enabled, the built in MCE auto download of EPG should be disabled?

Personally I still have issues with this feature triggering a guide download, so I turn this option off, and use a tool Peter Rosser (Microsoft MCE Developer) developed: http://blogs.msdn.com/peterrosser/archive/2005/10/20/483349.aspx to change my guide update to happen just before (10mins or so) the DVB Fix is run.

4. Could you please explain how the padding works? If it auto adds soft padding to all new and existing once and series scheduled recordings, should I now remove all hard padding?

The answer to this is yes, in most situations remove your hard padding to get the best benefit. I have my Post Padding in PIMP set to 10mins, and this on average has my programs finishing 8-12mins later than the advertised time.

If you really want to make sure you get the end of a specific program (and you record alot of TV around the same time), hard padding is still the only way to ensure it. Reason being; soft padding will allow MCE to change channels if the scheduled guide time is reached, and another channel is set to record and there are no available tuners. Hard padding tells MCE to not change no matter what.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Shane.
Shuttle SB83G5M (P4 630 nVidia 6600) running Vista Premium with:
Hauppauge Nova-T 500 MCE Tuner|Ice TV Guide|PIMP|Buffalo LinkStation HD-H160LAN & HD-HG300LAN|Xbox 360 MCE

Offline nac6

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2006, 06:07:24 PM »
Thanks for your reply.

Personally I still have issues with this feature triggering a guide download, so I turn this option off, and use a tool Peter Rosser (Microsoft MCE Developer) developed: http://blogs.msdn.com/peterrosser/archive/2005/10/20/483349.aspx to change my guide update to happen just before (10mins or so) the DVB Fix is run.
I have used a few tools that let you choose the download time. I often have problems with the MCE built-in guide update, with many database type errors in the event log. Where as if I use PIMP to do the update I don't get errors that much. Sounds like that I need to only use one method to update EPG, either PIMP or MCE.

hard padding is still the only way to ensure it. Reason being; soft padding will allow MCE to change channels if the scheduled guide time is reached, and another channel is set to record and there are no available tuners. Hard padding tells MCE to not change no matter what.
I have three tuners so it sounds like I shouldn't have a problem removing all of the hard padding. I asume that the new version of PIMP modifies the enties in Recordings.xml file?

Offline Shane

• View Profile
    • shasam.net
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2006, 07:05:52 PM »
I have used a few tools that let you choose the download time. I often have problems with the MCE built-in guide update, with many database type errors in the event log. Where as if I use PIMP to do the update I don't get errors that much. Sounds like that I need to only use one method to update EPG, either PIMP or MCE.

Sounds like a plan :)

I have three tuners so it sounds like I shouldn't have a problem removing all of the hard padding. I asume that the new version of PIMP modifies the enties in Recordings.xml file?

Yes - it is constantly scanning and updating the soft padding entries in the recordings.xml file - unfortunately Microsoft didn't make it easy to do - these entries get defaulted if they are not constantly updated. I believe PIMP does this check every time it does a server update which I have left at 5mins.

Regards,
Shane.

Offline nac6

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2006, 10:36:43 PM »
I'll do some more testing with the soft padding only, so far it looks good.

Thanks again.

Offline aswigon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2006, 10:36:57 PM »
Thanks for the new release. Will give it a shot over the next couple of days.

Offline nac6

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2006, 11:07:02 PM »
I am having a few issues with the padding update. I have been checked and in some cases the padding doesn't get updated. If I click the "Update Padding" button it updates. I tried reducing the update frequency  down from 15min to 5min but that then seems to cause random failures updating.

What would be nice is if the code that does the padding checks the Recordings.xml file very often, say every minute, and if required updates any padding. This code would be independant from the update frequency which can then be set to a more reliable 15min.

Offline Shane

• View Profile
    • shasam.net
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2006, 11:12:26 PM »
Hmmm... I can see a benefit for you in having the padding timing run on a different clock, however I personally haven't seen any issues with the updates running at 5mins.

Regards,
Shane.

Offline nac6

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2006, 11:32:38 PM »
I remember someone else having an issue with short 5min updates and went to 15min as well.
Perhaps it's more of an internet access problem.

I'll leave it at 5min for now as 15min is too long for padding updates.

UPDATE:- I have been using the soft padding for a while but to go back to hard padding as is it not 100%, sometimes a program will use default padding and miss the end of the show. PIMP needs to be more agressive monitoring the recording.xml file and change it as soon as possible, not waiting for the update time.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 09:04:52 AM by nac6 »

Share via facebook Share via twitter