Author Topic: PIMP 2.0.0.9 client auto installed and wont communicate to server?  (Read 6078 times)

Offline mbedford

• View Profile
Hi support,

1. My 2.0.0.6 PIMP client AUTO updated to the 2.0.0.9 client which I cant see any postings on either incidently and now it wont connect to the server to update.

When I click the 'Connection test' button  it says 'Communication failed with the supplied use infomation. The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error.

I login to my account on the ice-tv site uaing the same account credentials fine and have also checked my account has not expired yet.

Has my PIMP client AUTO updated to an unreleased client that dosent work by mistake?

2. Also a couple of days after the PIMP client updated itself my Channel SEVEN has disappeared off my guide and when I go back into 'edit channels' it is greyed out and not selectable as if MCE is blocking it??

Please see 2 attached screenies

Any help please?

Offline mattg

• View Profile
Re: PIMP 2.0.0.9 client auto installed and wont communicate to server?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 11:05:20 PM »
Hi, I did exactly the same thing updated from 2006 to 2009 and now have the same problem as you when i click the connection test button.

Offline Daniel Hall at IceTV

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • View Profile
    • IceTV
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 11:14:07 AM »
Firstly there is no way the client can automatically update, do you mean that you installed the latest version that is available on our website?

The 500 internal server error is most likely caused by some new restrictions put in place on the server on Monday.

Basically PIMP updates are only allowed once every 30 minutes, so if you get this message it means that your system has updated or at least communicated with the IceTV PIMP server in the past 30 minutes, if you try again after 30 minutes it should go through.

As for Channel 7 changing, have you changed the channel order within Media Center? If so then this can cause the behavior you are seeing. If you select "Restore channel defaults" and then run through the "Edit Channels" and "Add Listings to Channel" steps of the setup again without changing the channel order then this shouldn't happen again.
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.

Offline mattg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 11:46:44 AM »
Thanks Daniel, so what your saying basicly is that setting the update frequency in PIMP to "Every 10 Minutes" is now useless??

Offline Daniel Hall at IceTV

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • View Profile
    • IceTV
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 12:03:03 PM »
Actually, I have just had word that the time was changed overnight to be 15 minutes between PIMP requests.

But yes, this does mean that the 10 minutes has no effect, this will be updated in the next PIMP release.

Offline mbedford

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 12:50:17 PM »
Hi Dan,

Firstly there is no way the client can automatically update, do you mean that you installed the latest version that is available on our website?

I seem to remember something saying a update is avalible for PIMP and to auto download?!?!?! If I DID go into a coma and download and install 2.0.0.9 where did I get it from, I cant see it anywhere on the forums about version 2.0.0.9??

As for Channel 7 changing, have you changed the channel order within Media Center? If so then this can cause the behavior you are seeing. If you select "Restore channel defaults" and then run through the "Edit Channels" and "Add Listings to Channel" steps of the setup again without changing the channel order then this shouldn't happen again.

I did exactly that I changed the channel order as sbs 2 (aka sbs world 'can I speak arabic' news) and abc 2 are way down the channels list so I always move them up. Doing a "restore channel defaults" like you suggested got all chan 7 references back but a p-p-p-pain in the ass. I have disabled the schedualed MCupdate task also.

Offline seandryan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 08:31:27 PM »

I'm sure you guys are across this already, but you can probably return something a bit more meaningful to the client than a 500.

You had me debugging the client for a moment there, just in case.

Offline peteru

• View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 02:17:10 AM »
The problem appears to be with the client not returning the full text of the error. The PIMP server generates an error description that pinpoints the cause of the 500 errors. These are almost always caused by the PIMP client doing something that's not quite right.

There's nothing wrong with returning a 500, the problem is with the Windows PIMP client not displaying the text of the error message.

Offline Russell at IceTV

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: PIMP 2.0.0.9 client auto installed and won't communicate to server?
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2007, 04:19:38 AM »
Hi guys,

The problems we've been having on our servers lately were caused by the overwhelming popularity of pimp and from some of the pimp clients incorrectly hitting our server too often and overloading things.  When things got really bad over the weekend, we had to take drastic steps just to keep it from affecting even the users that weren't hitting the server too often.  So we modified the server to keep track of how often a client is hitting it, and if it hits it more often than the allowed number of minutes, the server ignores the extra requests.

At the moment the "allowed number of minutes" is set at 15.  This means that if your pimp client hits the server every 15 minutes or longer, everything should work fine.  If it hits it more often than that, the extra hits will receive a 500 error, which you'll see in the log, but the hits that are processed will still update normally and your PVR shouldn't be affected by some of the hits being ignored.  Unfortunately there's currently no way for the server to tell the difference between the pimp client doing an automatic, timed update, vs. you pressing the button to tell it to "update now", or to test the settings.  So if you press the button twice in a row, the first one will probably work and the second one will fail.

In a word, that sucks.  And believe me, we're doing something about it as quickly as we can.  Our plan is to modify the client and server to allow better communication between the two of them, so that the server knows exactly which version of the client it's talking to, and can do things like tell you when a new version is available, give better error messages, and help prevent the client from hitting the server too often.

We're trying to get something out to you guys in the next few days, but "as soon as humanly possible" is about as good a time estimate as we can give at the moment.  In the mean time, as drastic as the changes were that we had to make, they're doing the job, and the web server is finally running well -- actually it's running very well.  Just set your client to update at a reasonable rate and it should be fine.  If you're having troubles getting things setup, contact our support team and they'll do some magic to help you get it working and running on an automatic update schedule.

Thanks in advance for your patience while we work through these growing pains.  More soon, I promise...

Russell

Offline mbedford

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2007, 07:53:41 AM »
Thanks for the update.

So what would ICE recommend we should set our client to for now, 15 mins, 20 mins, 30 mins?

Offline pgriffith

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2007, 08:43:35 PM »
I had the same problem after updating, it wouldn't connect when trying to test connection. It seemed although the password field was still filled, it wasn't with my correct password. As soon as I re-entered it then it connected straight away...... coincidence ???

Share via facebook Share via twitter

xx
what happens if you request eyetv and pimp both to record the same programme ?

Started by sunfish on EyeTV

8 Replies
Last post May 27, 2008, 12:19:30 AM
by sunfish
xx
My PIMP 2.0.0.16 "Crashes" on Vista

Started by Shane on Windows Vista Media Center

2 Replies
Last post March 19, 2008, 09:54:31 AM
by Daniel Hall at IceTV
question
Repeating errors in my PIMP's event log