Author Topic: Only the abc sample data comes up  (Read 6183 times)

Offline kish

• View Profile
Only the abc sample data comes up
« on: March 11, 2007, 09:00:32 AM »
Ive just loaded a fresh vista and the new pimp for vista, created my profile in the pimp options,
selected it in the pimp app by following the instructions from here.
when i go to add my listing to the channel it only has the abc sample data.

how can I fix it?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 04:08:01 PM by russell »

Offline Russell at IceTV

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Only th abc sample data comes up
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 01:19:22 PM »
Hi,

This usually happens when the PC isn't registered properly with IceTV.  When your MCE does a fetch, IceTV isn't recognizing it and just gives you back sample data.  You can re-register that machine by running the IceGuide4MCE.exe program again.  To run that program, either click the "Register PC" button on the Configuration tab of the PIMP program, or run IceGuide4MCE.exe directly from the Start menu, in the IceTV group.  Once it's registered again, try doing a guide fetch and hopefully it'll get all the data.

Russell

Offline kish

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 02:23:54 PM »
When I go to reregister it, it says internal server error

thought it has picked up the device name in configuration

I have uninstalled it and ran the registry removal and then reinstalled it and it still does it.

the test settings button works and says "successfully comunicated with the icetv server"
but the register one say internal server error
« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 02:27:46 PM by kish »

Offline Russell at IceTV

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007, 03:10:21 PM »
Hmm, ok, I'm not seeing an error in the server logs, but I do see that whenever you've tried to register, it's not sending up your MCE ID.  I'm not sure why that's happening, but can you tell me more details about exactly what you're seeing?  I'm guessing you're clicking the "Register PC" button in PIMP, and that should bring up the registration program.  You'd then select that you want to register with an existing IceTV User ID, and then continue through the wizard until it registered you.  Can you tell me at what point exactly you're seeing the error?  And also, is there any other information displayed?

I'm sure we can get it sorted out.

Thanks,
Russell

Offline kish

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2007, 03:33:15 PM »
Yeah,
I click register.
Click I already have an account
enter my username and password
It says "Please ensure you are connected to the Internet and then press OK"
I click OK
then A window comes up with "Internal Server Error"

Offline Russell at IceTV

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2007, 03:46:43 PM »
Ok, yes, I can see now that the problem is definitely because the registration program isn't sending up your MCE ID properly.  It looks sort of like the value exists in the registry, but it's empty for some reason.

Let's try deleting the value and then the registration program will re-create it next time you try to register.  I'm sending you a .reg file called "delete_mce_id.reg".  Save it somewhere (like the desktop maybe) and then double-click it to run it.  Click Yes when it asks if you want to add the information to the registry.  That will delete the value.  After that, run the registration program again with your User ID and password, and let's see if it works better.

Thanks,
Russell
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 02:15:08 AM by russell »

Offline Russell at IceTV

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2007, 04:05:30 PM »
I was watching the server log as you did the registration that time.  I can see that it's now sending up a good MCE ID (excellent), but for some reason, when your MCE does the guide fetch, it's sending up a completely different ID than the one you registered with just before.  And when you did the fetch a second time, it sent yet another ID.

Do you have more than one MCE machine running?  Is there something else running on that Vista machine that might be interfering with the PIMP stuff?

Russell

Offline kish

• View Profile
Re: Only the abc sample data comes up
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2007, 04:16:15 PM »
I did have another vista running with just the old icetv setup for mce2005 I have shut that off just incase

with the IDs i had created one along time ago when pimp came out, called mce,
today I deleted it and created a new one called mce_vista

i can see in the system tray that it gets the guide as it says like 41% complete
then i go into mce and runs through the guide setup again, but it still only has abc(sample)

Offline Russell at IceTV

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2007, 04:23:30 PM »
Yes, it's still sending you demo guide data because when MCE does the fetch it's not sending the ID that was sent during the registration.  I think the ID is being changed between the time you do the registration and the time you do the fetch.

First, in PIMP, there's a checkbox on the Configuration tab named "Fix registry keys when changed".  Clear that checkbox for the moment and then click "Save Settings".

The other thing I see is that for some reason, the PIMP program seems to be including an older version of the IceGuide4MCE.exe registration program (version 1.2).  We'll have to get that fixed.  Try downloading the latest version (currently 1.4) from here:

http://www.icetv.com.au/cgi-bin/websupport.cgi?op=show_faq&faq_id=57

Then run that to do the registration again, and then do another fetch.  But don't click the "Fix Now" button in PIMP, that will just change the ID again.

Russell

Offline kish

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2007, 04:38:48 PM »
OK, that worked,
I have the guide setup now, thank you

but without the fix registry ticked will that make it stop working tomorrow when it reverts back

Offline Russell at IceTV

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2007, 04:49:23 PM »
Ah, great to hear.  :)

I'll check with the resident PIMP program expert and see if we can figure out what happened in your case, and what you can do to make sure the checkbox will do what we want and not change it again.  Will probably be tomorrow at least before we have an answer, but we'll definitely check on it.  In the mean time, leave the box unchecked, since I'm not exactly sure how your machine got into that state.

Thanks,
Russell

Offline kish

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2007, 04:56:01 PM »
OK, thankyou

Offline Russell at IceTV

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2007, 02:13:47 AM »
Hi again,

Ok, we've figured out what happened, and we'll release a new version of the PIMP program soon to take care of it.  It'll also include an updated IceGuide4MCE registration program, and then I think you'll be all set.  Once you've updated to that new version, you can turn on the "Fix registry keys when changed" checkbox.  I think generally that feature is fine, but something strange happened in your case and things got out of sync.

I'll try to remember to post another message here when it's released.

Thanks,
Russell

Offline kish

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2007, 10:10:10 PM »
OK, look forward to the new version,

How every mine seems to be going ok, I did a MCE reset and set it up again and it worked with reg keys ticked

Share via facebook Share via twitter