Author Topic: New user: best practice methods?  (Read 3473 times)

Offline MoDementia

• View Profile
New user: best practice methods?
« on: March 14, 2009, 10:16:43 AM »
Hi,
Looking for the best approach to using IceTV with my media centre.

Vista Media Centre
Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2200 (dual tuner)
IceTV padding 5 mins before 10 mins after.
CRT TV  :(

After a long session trying to get the CRT set up I was finally up and running.

Excitedly I went through the whole 7 days EPG setting series after series to record and a few movies here and there

As I went along I could see a few conflicts popping up (stupid need to pad programs, bah limited to 2 tuners :( )

A day or 2 of recording and all seems to be going well (very happy with the hauppauge so far)

Unfortunatly there is no way to see a list of recordings coming up withn VMC (that I could find) so I decided to go have a look at IceTV interactive website.

Although "My upcoming shows" was just what I was looking for; all the series recordings were shown as 1 off recordings with no series recording options available.
For the life of me I couldn't find the series recording options that I read were available :(

In desperation I cancelled most of the recordings and tried keyword search/record.
The advantage of the "prefer HD" option seemed to be just the ticket but...
The thought of adding all the keywords was a bit of a turn off.

Accidentally I came accross the series recording options (because the single recodings were cancelled) but there was no prefer HD option :(
This would be my preffered method (its consistent with VMC) but the missing HD option is just a deal breaker :(

On a side note the listings were not showing conflicts (even though IceTV knows how many tuners I have and the padding settings?) does it need to wait for VME to report the conflicts?

So after all that I need to come up with a best practice strategy to get the most out of IceTV/VCM/Tuners.

1. Should I only use 1 of either VCM or IceTV website
i.e. VCM for scheduling, IceTV for viewing info only
or just use IceTV website for everything?

2. Depending on answer to 1
Keyword record only
or series record all channels and remove duplicates (SD) manually daily

3. Back to Back programs like simpsons, two and a half men, red dwarf etc are going to be a real pain I believe with padding and only 2 tuners
How best to handle them?

4. Has anyone successfully installed  2 x Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2200 (dual tuner) which would eliminate most of my conflict woes
Beyonwiz T4 ->, My Rename Code ->, VideoRedo AutoProcessor ->, Synology 1815+ ->, Plex + MediaMonkey

Offline MoDementia

• View Profile
Re: New user: best practice methods?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 12:24:23 PM »
Well I have learnt a lot since my first post; I now have 4 tuners working and have seen how VMC handles back to back shows ( a tad annoying having a couple of mins in the wrong file most of the time)

I am finding it hard to justify handing over some cash with no replies though

The question still remains what is the best method(s) for getting the most out of IceTV?
I haven't really used interactive since the post, just scheduling stuff in VMC
I'm afraid using both will create some problems. i.e. If I cancel a program who gets priority? will the next sync just override 1 or the other?

Offline OzRob

• View Profile
Re: New user: best practice methods?
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 10:02:39 AM »
Well I have learnt a lot since my first post; I now have 4 tuners working and have seen how VMC handles back to back shows ( a tad annoying having a couple of mins in the wrong file most of the time)

In VMC you can use the Advanced recording settings to add "hard" padding to a recording. If you do this with the first of the 'back-to-back' shows it will force VMC to use a second tuner to record the second show. The padding set by IceInteractive is 'soft', meaning that it can be overridden by VMC if it wants that tuner for something else during the padding period. Hard padding can't be overridden.

The question still remains what is the best method(s) for getting the most out of IceTV?
I haven't really used interactive since the post, just scheduling stuff in VMC
I'm afraid using both will create some problems. i.e. If I cancel a program who gets priority? will the next sync just override 1 or the other?

I'm not sure that there's a 'best' way of doing stuff. It really depends on how you want to work. I tend to do most of the scheduling of programs on my VMC machine. I only use IceInteractive occaisonally to check what's set to record or to schedule something that I've forgotten to do at home.

BTW did you find the Scheduled Recordings list in VMC (available from the Recorded TV screen) that lets you check what's scheduled to record in VMC? You mentioned you didn't know how to see this info in your first post.

If you haven't been to the site already, www.xpmediacentre.com.au has some great forums for info re Vista Media Center.

Share via facebook Share via twitter

xx
Suggestion: Email newsletter of pilot episodes

Started by Peter_H on General Discussions

2 Replies
Last post June 20, 2019, 10:59:30 PM
by Peter_H
xx
New SBS channel

Started by Melb137 on IceTV EPG Content

2 Replies
Last post May 29, 2019, 01:04:41 PM