Author Topic: DMA 2100 network dropout problems  (Read 4436 times)

Offline dylan

• View Profile
DMA 2100 network dropout problems
« on: February 14, 2008, 03:58:14 PM »
Is anyone else having network drop out problems with the Linksys DMA 2100 extenders?

It happens a lot viewing HD. My network is all cat5e 100mbit, I did hear there have been problems with gigabit routers so I have steered clear of those. The network tune up util shows that every now and again the bit rate will drop below the HD requirement which is strange as the VMC isn't doing anything network related other than the extender. Also the extender will disconnect from the media centre quite a lot, I have had to reset it up complete with entering the new code 3 times in the past 3 days. At least 3 times the network error has come up on the screen while watching TV and then the extender has hung (needing a hard reset). I can rewind the program once the unit has "finally" booted back up so the program data is all good.

I have read a few other people having the same problem and have read the Microsoft KB but so far nothing has helped.

Anyone?

Offline moocow

• View Profile
Re: DMA 2100 network dropout problems
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 04:11:02 PM »
ensure that there is no power management on the NIC on you VMC box. Also try turning of differential compression (through Control Panel/Program and features).

Offline dylan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 05:18:06 PM »
Just to update, I id notice that my machines CPU was running very high when streaming some programs to the extender, especially HD programs. I have just graded to a quad core which in my limited testing has fixed the problem. I'll post back if this isn't the case.

Dylan

Offline nickd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 11:49:04 AM »
I've had one of these for about 3 weeks now. Pretty happy with it.

I have it attached via a wired connection to a 10/100 switch/router which is in turn connected to a gigbit switch that the media center PC is on. The PC has an E6300 1.86GHz with 3Gb RAM running Vista Home Premium SP1.

I've had the message about insufficient network bandwidth pop up on one occasion, but it turned out that my virus scanner on the media center PC had kicked in and decided to scan all the JPGs on my NAS (which is also attached to the gigabit switch). I haven't had the message appear again since I told the virus scanner not to scan JPGs. It would be interesting to see if I have similar problems if I try to watch content off the NAS, but I haven't got any there (yet).

FWIW I haven't changed any of the network settings that the Linksys app note recommended regarding problems with it being connected to gigabit switches, and have been watching plenty of HD content.

Share via facebook Share via twitter

xx
Grimm 'Mr Sandman' synopsis

Started by prl on IceTV EPG Content

1 Replies
Last post October 30, 2013, 05:21:46 PM
by prl
question
Firmware 1.1.6 for DMA 2100/2200

Started by dylan on Windows Vista Media Center

1 Replies
Last post June 30, 2008, 02:28:34 PM