Author Topic: Crash due to multiple logins  (Read 1660 times)

Offline nac6

• View Profile
Crash due to multiple logins
« on: November 27, 2009, 12:16:37 PM »
I often remote desktop to my media centre box using the same user account. Interactive has an entry in the registry RUN key. So it tries to run interactive even though it is already running, thus crashes.

Is it possible to have Interactive check if it is already running before trying to run again?

Offline Mark

• View Profile
Re: Crash due to multiple logins
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 09:21:04 AM »
I have multiple user accounts on my Vista MCE box, and my solution to avoiding the possibility of multiple, potentially conflicting, copies of Interactive running is as follows.

I have one user account dedicated to running Interactive (and any other programs that require a terminal session, rather than running as a service).  I also have the PC set up to autologin to this account at startup.  I then have a BAT file that includes a 10 second pause, followed by the "tsdiscon.exe" command (which disconnects the active terminal session and returns to the appropriate login screen - same result as "switch user"), which I have added to the "Startup" program group.  I added the pause after finding that otherwise I would sometimes end up with a blank screen on the terminal session, as if the desktop had failed to initialise, and the pause seems to prevent this.

With this setup, upon reboot the machine starts up into the dedicated account, starts Interactive, and then automatically returns to the login screen.  All other user accounts are set up not to run Interactive on login.  This way, whenever the machine is restarted I always end up with exactly one instance of Interactive running, without requiring any "normal" user to be permanently logged in.  Works perfectly.  (I also have the machine scheduled for an automatic weekly reboot, disk check, defrag, and a few other housekeeping tasks, starting 5.30am Mondays.)

Really, Interactive should be set up to run as a service, with the user program just being a configuration interface that communicates with the service process.  But that's not how it is, so you need to have a user permanently logged in.

I can provide more details, if needed, on exactly how I set all this up in Vista.  I am sure the same result can be achieved in Windows 7, but it is possible that some of the details may be different.

Share via facebook Share via twitter

xx
Crashing - New series episodes marked as repeats

Started by aeb001 on IceTV EPG Content

3 Replies
Last post November 26, 2018, 03:16:47 PM
by aeb001
xx
Air Crash Investigations ‘Disaster At Tenerife’ - repeat?

Started by prl on IceTV EPG Content

3 Replies
Last post June 25, 2017, 12:52:42 PM
by prl
sad
Topfield 2460 crashing every 73 seconds until I turned IceTV off...

Started by zaphod753 on Topfield

12 Replies
Last post April 20, 2016, 10:52:28 PM
by Dave at IceTV
xx
ICETV EPG crashing Topfield 2400 again.

Started by JPP on IceTV EPG Content

30 Replies
Last post April 23, 2016, 12:11:11 AM
by Dave at IceTV