Author Topic: Recording Series on Topfield and IceTV  (Read 4767 times)

Offline CJSMelb

• View Profile
Recording Series on Topfield and IceTV
« on: April 07, 2009, 06:43:01 AM »
Hi

How does one specify a series recording on the Topfield device.  I can see how to set a recording one-time, or periodically using a timer.  But not apparently based on the program name or similar criteria.  It's possible to do it from the IceTV Interactive web site - although that also is not working for me either because the scheduled recordings do not download to the Topfield device.  Fortunately I can see the EPG for the week so I can set one-time recordings interactively from the Topfield.  I have a Topfield 7100 upgraded to the latest firmware.

Cheers

Offline tonymy01

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Recording Series on Topfield and IceTV
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 08:23:54 AM »
Most PVRs don't have the smarts to track a show themselves.   The Topfield 5K got these smarts with some smart people writing good TAPs to scan thru the EPG, but even that is a bit of an inconvenience as it pinches a lot of the PVR resources while it is doing the scanning (normally people schedule the unit to wake up and do this at some un-godly hour of the morning).    All most PVRs let you do is what you have stated, periodic timers.    ICE Interactive unlocks that issue, with all the grunt work being done by Interactive (we have written a similar thing for the Topfields that support TAPs with PC only TED/S doing the keyword searching, preferences etc, actually it ends up being a better system than interactive in some ways as it lets you setup priorites on your shows so if you get a 3way clash it can ditch your least favourite show, a similar package however open source Perl pvrtimersd/perl2tgd which will even run on a little wireless Asus/ICEbox router, and EPG_uploader does the work at the Topfield 5K/6K end, uploading the EPG and timers).
I would suggest getting your network fixed up and/or shoving your 7100 sideways where it doesn't fit into a Topfield Engineer, and keep pushing to get Interactive working 100% on your unit.   I assume you are constantly reading the Topfield forums over at http://forum.itopfield.com.au/default.aspx to keep abreast of the current issues and how people are working through them?   Apparently the firmware released this week was the best yet for ICE support, and some people once they reset their units are having no issues...

Interactive is working 99.9% perfectly for Beyonwiz owners sorry to say...
Regards
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 08:28:51 AM by tonymy01 »
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).

Offline CJSMelb

• View Profile
Re: Recording Series on Topfield and IceTV
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 01:31:41 PM »
Thanks for the quick response.  Yes I am monitoring the other site and will see what comes of that.  Pity really - I have a Vista Media Centre PC which has a great UI but was constantly plagued with scheduling and power management problems (from Vista) - constant failure to record etc etc an absolute pain.  The Topfield is my hope to solve my scheduling reliability issues but I really like the series recording option (which you can do interatively with WMC) so in the absence of doing it from the Topfield I hope that I can get Ice to work.

Share via facebook Share via twitter

xx
Recording problem with final episode of The Split

Started by prl on IceTV EPG Content

3 Replies
Last post October 19, 2020, 04:11:20 PM
by prl
xx
Odd recordings on Beyonwiz T4

Started by prl on Smart Recording website and General questions

25 Replies
Last post October 08, 2020, 06:52:30 PM