Author Topic: RSS feeds for My Upcoming Shows and searches discussion  (Read 10034 times)

Offline Marc

• Guru
    • View Profile
RSS feeds for My Upcoming Shows and searches discussion
« on: November 05, 2008, 12:09:31 PM »
We've just released a new feature on the Interactive website: RSS feeds for My Upcoming Shows and searches

Please feel free to ask any questions about it in this thread.

Offline mtb

• View Profile
Re: RSS feeds for My Upcoming Shows and searches discussion
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 04:48:59 PM »
This is very good news but what would make it great would be if we could either have two feeds - one for favourites and one for recordings - or a clearer indicator (e.g. [REC] in the title of each item) to indicate the recording state.

I appreciate that the individual items have the favourite/device info. embedded within but this requires a more in-depth reading of all items rather than a quick scan.

The guide searches are a fantastic addition as these allow for a future search for shows which cannot (yet) be tagged as favourites.

Nice one folks.
Beyonwiz DP-P2, Epson EH-TW5500, Pioneer VSXLX52 & BDP-320, Screen Technics 100” screen, WD Live TV x2, 6Tb NAS (Linux)
Beyonwiz DP-S1, VIERA TH-42PA60A
HTC Desire (rooted) Froyo
Topfield 5000MP

Offline tonymy01

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 05:43:41 PM »
Eek, 2.5 Men dominates the list, how do I remove that garbage?
edit:
Ok, I am using Outlook now to view my subscribed feed rather than IE so simply setup a filter to bin all occurrences of 2.5men.
Regards
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 06:18:23 PM by tonymy01 »
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).

Offline Marc

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 08:33:53 PM »
This is very good news but what would make it great would be if we could either have two feeds - one for favourites and one for recordings - or a clearer indicator (e.g. [REC] in the title of each item) to indicate the recording state.
We're all for suggestions like that.

If it's ok, we might take on a little bit more feedback before fine tuning.

Lots of other cool stuff coming very soon. This is just the beginning.

Offline prl

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 09:23:06 AM »
The way it works at the moment, I don't think I'll use the RSS feed much. I've had a look at the "My Upcoming Shows" feed and it has way too much clutter to be much use to me. I've also tried to make up for the fact that I've never had a once-off show (like a movie) recommended by IceTV Recommendations, by making an RSS feed on a "movie:" search, but that, too, is too cluttered.

The service would be improved for me:
  • If it told me about changes to the state of the lists (perhaps as an option I could set). In particular, when seasons of Favourite, Recorded or Recommended shows start, and when new shows are added to the Recommended list. The latter would be very low traffic, my Recommended list is largely static.
  • If Recommendations worked better. I really don't understand why my Recommendations list includes shows that I've already marked as favorites (four out of ten recommendations) or have set for recording (one out of ten). I've already told IceTV Interactive that I like these shows. That should be input to the Recommendations system, not part of its output.
  • If I had recommendations for interesting one-off shows, like movies. I've never had a Recommendation for any one-off show, so for an RSS feed of Recommendations to be useful to me, I'd want to have recommendations of one-offs, like movies. I know I've been told by IceTV staff on the forum that the Recommendations algorithm works in the same way as for series, but my experience is otherwise.
  • If I could control the number of Recommended items that were displayed and used for the RSS feed. Four out of the ten items it currently shows in my list are essentially wasted because they are already marked as Recordings or Favourites.
I agree with mtb that it would be useful to know what the source of an item in the RSS feed was, whether it was a Recommendation, a Favourite or a Recording.

The IceTV Recommendations service has been a disappointment for me. As well as it never recommending any one-off to me, so far I've only watched one show from the Recommendations list that I hadn't already marked as a Favorite or a Recording. That was the 2008 Beijing Olympics, and that only appeared in the Recommendations list when the Games was almost (or perhaps even actually) over.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3 & T4 for testing

Offline Marc

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 11:03:37 AM »
prl: We realise recommendations need some reworking. Expect changes at some point. Sorry, but I can't give a timeframe.

This may or may not be of any use to you, but the check box called "Show recommended programs" also controls if recommendations are shown in the RSS feed.

Offline prl

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 12:07:47 PM »
prl: We realise recommendations need some reworking. Expect changes at some point. Sorry, but I can't give a timeframe.

This may or may not be of any use to you, but the check box called "Show recommended programs" also controls if recommendations are shown in the RSS feed.
Thanks Marc, I'll look forward to the improvements in Recommendations.

I have the Show Recommended Programs checkbox ticked already. My problem with Recommendations isn't that I don't see them at all in the RSS feed, I do, but that they disappear in the clutter of everything else in my Upcoming Shows RSS feed, and that they are all either shows I'd already marked as Favourites or shows I didn't want to watch.

I just did some experimentation on removing the shows I've already marked as Favourites from the Recommendations list to see whether their slots would be taken up by other shows, but they weren't, even after a refresh. I then restored them by resetting the Recommendations, and then my list of recommendations grew from 10 to 13, but only included three of the four Favorites that it previously held. It also included Big Brother and So You Think You Can Dance in the Recommendations; they are shows I'd rank only slightly above Danoz on my list of shows I'd actually watch, and it marks the first time that Recommendations has offered me a show that I'd really never contemplate watching. It also added Greek News. That's just plain bizarre. I don't have any Greek language shows marked in any way. I don't have any news or current affairs programs marked either. And Greek? Well it's really all Greek to me :)

Offline Kid_A

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 07:00:49 PM »
Hello Marc,
I use NetNewsWire on Mac to retrieve my rss feeds.
The IceTV - Saved Search is not working for me; the message states that I need to be registered in order to retrieve items.
I've entered my username and password into the NNW feed info tab, to no avail.

Can you help?
Thanks.
Elgato eyetv DTT deluxe
Sony PlayTV

Offline Marc

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 08:02:31 PM »
I use NetNewsWire on Mac to retrieve my rss feeds.
The IceTV - Saved Search is not working for me
Do you have an IceTV paid subscription?

I'm using NNW/Mac here too. I just tried added a search as an RSS feed and it seemed ok. Can you please provide more info on the steps taken?

Offline Kid_A

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2008, 08:33:28 PM »
Thanks Marc, I don't have a paid subscription. (Don't laugh!)
I had a feeling that would be the reason.
I don't have a PVR yet, I'm waiting for the PlayTV to be released here. Hopefully you'll have an arrangement in place by then.  ;)

I have one more question. Do you have any plans to allow boolean searches for the TV guide (and rss) ?

Thanks again.

Offline Marc

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2008, 02:21:56 AM »
I don't have a paid subscription.
Sorry, the RSS feeds are for paid accounts only.

Do you have any plans to allow boolean searches for the TV guide (and rss)?
Currently both the TV guide and RSS feeds do an AND search for either the title, description or title and description.

So searching for "bob builder" will actually look for "bob" AND "builder", meaning it'll catch "bob the builder" and "builder guy called bob".

We might add more features in the future if we need to. Can you think of specific cases where you'd want something more complex? (we're far more likely to add things if there's good, real-world cases where what we have now isn't sufficient)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 02:25:09 AM by Marc-IceTV »

Offline Kid_A

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2008, 08:11:08 AM »
Some of the examples I use on another site are:

"rugby union" AND (australia OR waratahs) AND (live OR premiere)
"rugby league" AND "parramatta eels"
cricket AND NOT (fox OR espn)

Admittedly, you don't keep a guide for fox or espn, but you get the idea. Exact phrases can be helpful at times.

Offline Marc

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2008, 09:57:30 AM »
"rugby union" AND (australia OR waratahs) AND (live OR premiere)
"rugby league" AND "parramatta eels"
The second one could be done with:
"rugby league parramatta eels"

The third could be done with two searches of:
"rugby union australia"
"rugby union waratahs

Sure, they're not identical, but I don't think you'd end up with too many false positives.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 10:07:21 AM by Marc-IceTV »

Offline Kid_A

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2008, 11:46:13 AM »
Of course, there's always more than one way of doing things. My issue is that I was finding false positives, and I needed to experiment to avoid them.

The data is the important factor. If there is consistency, it makes it easier to find repeat instances of programmes of interest.

My Shows is great for series', but not for sport programmes for a particular team.

Offline Marc

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2008, 11:59:04 AM »
Ok, we hear you. Sit tight... more coming soon.

Share via facebook Share via twitter

xx
What happened to the RSS feeds

Started by jazzymc on General Discussions

3 Replies
Last post December 02, 2014, 04:35:10 PM
by jazzymc
xx
Is "My Upcoming Shows RSS" feed broken

Started by dwids on Smart Recording website and General questions

0 Replies
Last post October 17, 2010, 08:57:18 PM