Author Topic: PS3 Web Browser & IceTV Interactive  (Read 4246 times)

Offline Nem

• View Profile
PS3 Web Browser & IceTV Interactive
« on: August 01, 2009, 04:55:41 PM »
Is there something that needs to be done to tweek the page layout of the IceTV interactive site for proper display in the web browser on my PS3? I actually use my PS3 browser instead of swapping to a PC when I want to schedlule an IceTV record job but the program guide gets squeezed down when loading it.
Device: Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Beyonwiz DP-P1
Region: Darwin NT
RSS: Firefox 3 with RSS Ticker plugin

Offline Russell at IceTV

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: PS3 Web Browser & IceTV Interactive
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 10:37:46 PM »
Do you know what resolution the PS3 browser uses?  It sounds like it must be fairly narrow.

You could also try the mobile site -- not quite the same, but it was designed for a much more narrow screen.

Russell

Offline Nem

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 02:10:37 PM »
My TV is set to 720p and the browser resolution is set to +2. Character size is ~2. Have tried fiddling but to no avail. Hopefully this can be resolved before the introduction of PlayTV in a couple of months.

Offline Russell at IceTV

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 02:27:35 PM »
Ah, yeah, I can see how that would be a problem.  Our current web site was designed to support a resolution of about 1000 or higher, so 720 would be pretty tight.  I'm afraid I don't have any other suggestions at the moment, other than the mobile version.  Sorry.

Russell

Offline Neon Kitten

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 10:27:39 PM »
Ah, yeah, I can see how that would be a problem.  Our current web site was designed to support a resolution of about 1000 or higher, so 720 would be pretty tight.

Note that 720p is a resolution of 1280 wide by 720 high :)

I'll take a look at it later on my PS3, though I am running 1080p (1920x1080)

Offline Russell at IceTV

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 10:46:58 PM »
Note that 720p is a resolution of 1280 wide by 720 high :)

Oops, you're right.  I was thinking 720 wide, but 720p should be 1280 wide by 720 high.  And 1280 wide should be no problem on our web site.

Try the web page below on our server and see what you get.  It should tell you your screen size and viewport size (the viewport size is the area in the browser where a web page is displayed, without the buttons and menus at the top):

http://www.icetv.com.au/restest.html

Russell

Offline Neon Kitten

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 01:29:09 AM »
Try the web page below on our server and see what you get.  It should tell you your screen size and viewport size (the viewport size is the area in the browser where a web page is displayed, without the buttons and menus at the top):

http://www.icetv.com.au/restest.html

Okay, for me on my 1920x1080 screen, I get, with the PS3 browser set to "Maximum Size" (not the default!):

Screen Size: 1280 x 1024
Viewport size: 1904 x 1080
Browser: Mozilla/5.0 (Playstation 3; 1.0)

At the standard (default) browser size, all above is the same except for

Viewport size: 1136 x 976

Regardless of viewport width, the Guide page comes up with the left hand menu and ad boxes as normal, but with a white frame in the main part of the screen where the guide listing normally goes. That listing along with the drop-down boxes above it instead follows the section with the left side menu (and when not logged in, the "you are not logged in" text is down there as well.

Probably a fairly easy fix, I would guess.

Offline Russell at IceTV

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 02:18:58 AM »
Interesting.  Ok, I looked at the CSS styles on that page, and I have a feeling that the PS3 browser isn't handling something quite right.  I've changed the TV Guide page slightly to see if it helps.  Reload that page to be sure you're getting the latest content (and dump the cache if you know how, or maybe just restart the browser), and see if it's any better.  If it is, let me know the other pages that are having the same problem and I'll change them the same way.

Thanks,
Russell

Offline Neon Kitten

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 05:57:39 AM »
Interesting.  Ok, I looked at the CSS styles on that page, and I have a feeling that the PS3 browser isn't handling something quite right.  I've changed the TV Guide page slightly to see if it helps.  Reload that page to be sure you're getting the latest content (and dump the cache if you know how, or maybe just restart the browser), and see if it's any better.

Nope - cleared the cache, cookies and everything else after a fresh load of the browser, exited and restarted it, and the result's exactly the same.

I guess the hassle with the PS3 browser is that most web developers would have to troubleshoot it by proxy :)

Never use it myself, really, but let's squash the bug anyway :-D

Share via facebook Share via twitter

xx
Playtv Sony ps3

Started by chaosr1 on General Discussions

11 Replies
Last post February 21, 2012, 10:58:30 AM
by peterdeg