Author Topic: Prefer standard definition  (Read 330 times)

Offline csutak40

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Prefer standard definition
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2019, 09:51:46 PM »

I realise I could remove the HD channels, but then I wouldn't be able to record the occasional thing I do want in HD.

That is exactly how I feel
Cheers,
Judy
Windows 7 Media Center; Last Update Feb 20 2006; Beyonwiz T4, T2

Offline csutak40

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2019, 10:02:43 PM »
Hi cstak40,

The reason we have removed these options is that having technically complex options to suit the few expert edge cases is simply not a good business model. The vast majority want a simple foolproof click and record choice or else they delve in and mess up and we lose far more "keep it simple" customers than the expert edge cases will ever add up to.

Sorry, I really don't understand what puts this in the "technically complex" category.  OTOH, I would love some instructions online for setting keywords - I find that to be more complex.
I would also have been nice to be actually told of the change.

Offline raymondjpg

• IceTV Beta
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2019, 10:48:06 AM »
I realise I could remove the HD channels, but then I wouldn't be able to record the occasional thing I do want in HD.

No need to remove the HD channels. Just use the Channel option as advised by Daniel Hall.

As going through all the scenarios available (and looking at how often these options were used) you could get the same effects by either disabling the channels you don't want to record on, but also using the "Channel" option and whether you wanted "repeats" or not, and this would simplify things tremendously.
Topfield TF7100HDPVRt, Beyonwiz DP-P2, Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2200, Hauppauge WinTV-MiniStick 01240, Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2)

Offline ChrisW

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2019, 11:12:56 AM »
No need to remove the HD channels. Just use the Channel option as advised by Daniel Hall.

That still means I have to make a change on nearly every recording I set, which was the original complaint.

Offline prl

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2019, 11:41:46 AM »
I would love some instructions online for setting keywords - I find that to be more complex.

https://support.icetv.com.au/hc/en-us/articles/227076207-Using-Series-Recording-Favourites-Keyword-Recording-and-Keyword-Favourites - found by searching for "keyword" on the Help>Customer Support page.

Also, if you go to the TV Guide>TV Guide page and click on the Create Keyword Recording or Favourite link, that takes you to a form page that helps construct queries for Keyword Recordings and Favourites.

There are two minor issues with all that.

The first is that the customer support page says that you create the Favourite or Keyword Recording by going to that page, constructing the query and then clicking on the Add Keyword Record button. However, there is no such button, only PREVIEW KEYWORD. But if you click on PREVIEW KEYWORD, it does the search, and then there's an "Automatically favourite or record shows based on the following keyword (search parameters)" link (which could do with a bit of rewording).

The second is that at the bottom of the Create Keyword Recording or Favourite, there are two buttons, PREVIEW KEYWORD and Reset, but the text in the Reset button appears to be white on white.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3 & T4 for testing

Offline raymondjpg

• IceTV Beta
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2019, 03:32:00 PM »
That still means I have to make a change on nearly every recording I set, which was the original complaint.

I understand what you are saying but the requirement to select an SD option was there before the change. I'd say that your suggestion to default to last selected option (per user) would likely fall into the category of additional cost to the IceTV business, and having been through a couple of periods where IceTV faced the possibility of extinction, I'd rather have an IceTV without some user-selectable or user-specific options than no IceTV at all.

Others may disagree, but you pays your money and you takes your choice.

Offline MD

• Administrator
  • TV TV Australia MD
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2019, 04:03:49 PM »
csutak40,

Re keywords - use the "Create keyword recording or favourite" under the TV Guide search bar (in red text).  We'll improve its position and identity when we can but we are simply snowed under right now.  See attached where I've entered a title, series and episode in each section and the search term is shown in the top slot, growing as each is added.

Offline csutak40

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2019, 11:51:22 PM »

I don't suppose there is any point debating this, but, as it happens, I prefer "any channel" simply because there have been times when shows changed networks. The whole idea of IceTV is that if I have a favourite show and it disappears and then reappears (where ever) IceTV will notice for me, if I don't  :D and set a recording for me.
And, to be clear, I wasn't asking for any change ATM  (although, as Chris did, I did ask long ago, if there could be a way to set ones preferences, eliminating the need for fiddling with each setting) in fact I was asking why there was a change, especially without any notice and especially a change to something that I doubt anyone found "technically complex"

Offline Matt69

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2019, 09:43:52 PM »
so...don't update Android App ???
How does rewriting and updating websites downloading updates (bandwidth) equal cost savings ,   ???

Share via facebook Share via twitter