Author Topic: New Interactive  (Read 67087 times)

Online prl

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: New Interactive
« Reply #225 on: October 31, 2009, 10:35:19 AM »
I noticed my midnight "Eureka" weekly series on Ten stayed as the "queued/donut" icon the past few days, even though the timer was in the Wiz (and recorded fine).   So something is a little amiss, although all my shows I have wanted to record are recording ok... thankfully.
I had the same for last night's Border Security, the IceTV Web view showed it as the red queued donut, but the timer was on the Beyonwiz and ran correctly. (BW DP-S1, 1.05.306 beta firmware, ACT IceTV guide).

Tony, I'm beginning to wonder whether this behaviour isn't a "feature" of the current beta.

Edit: I've just noticed that I still have a red "queued" donut for The Force, Prime S HD, 2000, Sun 18 Oct. All the other recordings on that day and the following day are showing as "scheduled". I can't check whether the timer has actually been sent at the moment.

This problem seems to have been fixed for me now. If it was a bug fix from IceTV, thanks!
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3 & T4 for testing

Online prl

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 04, 2009, 01:07:53 PM »
Suggestion for the new Interactive.

At the moment, no matter which service you set a series recording from, the Quality default is "Prefer high def".

Would it be a good idea if this was changed so that if you set the recording from a HD service, the default is "Prefer high def", and if you set it from an SD service, the default is "Prefer standard def"?

Offline JPP

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 04, 2009, 02:32:45 PM »
Suggestion for the new Interactive.

At the moment, no matter which service you set a series recording from, the Quality default is "Prefer high def".

Would it be a good idea if this was changed so that if you set the recording from a HD service, the default is "Prefer high def", and if you set it from an SD service, the default is "Prefer standard def"?
Second and third that. It's been bugging me for sometime now - not a biggie, but I'd like to see it changed to Peter's suggestion.
Phil.
Beyonwiz T2, DVDO Duo Video Processor

Offline j s

• View Profile
« Reply #228 on: November 04, 2009, 04:14:51 PM »
I had some discussion with Ice development many months ago and suggested to them an "Auto Preferred" option (meaning use the HDTV flag to determine the preference).  The development guy thought the idea "interesting" and said he would put it to the team.  It didn't happen and I never got any further feedback.

Offline Russell at IceTV

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 11, 2009, 11:30:21 AM »
If you select a genre other than All in the TV Guide, then all the other genres attached to the program disappear from the program details.

This is now fixed, and you should see all of the show's genres when limiting the guide to a specific genre. Thanks for reporting it.

Genre tags don't seem to be displayed for programs that are "Not upcoming in the next 7 days".

We've now added the duration, rating, and genres to the shows listed under "Not upcoming in the next 7 days" when you do a search. Try searching for "atlantis" to see examples.

Thanks,
Russell

Online prl

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 11, 2009, 04:18:34 PM »
Thanks, Russell. I just had a look and it all looks good now.

Online prl

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: November 18, 2009, 09:10:52 AM »
I'm still having problems with inconsistencies between what the IceTV Interactive Web page says about my recordings and what's on my Beyonwiz.
Some feedback from the IceTV technical folk about the problems I've been reporting about recording timer inconsistencies would be much appreciated. Any information the might be useful to Beyonwiz engineering about the 306 beta, if it is the cause, would also help.

After reporting that thess problems had gone away, they've now returned for me (ACT guide, Beyonwiz DP-S1, 1.03.311 beta firmware).

The Beast (serie) last night (ABC2 17 Nov, 2045) was displayed in the IceTV Interactive web page as a "Queued series", even though its timer had been sent to the Beyonwiz, and it recorded correctly, my series recording for Medical Emergency (Prime S, 18 Nov, 2000) is also still showing as "Queued series recording", but its timer has also been sent.

Not wishing to sound like a broken record, but:
Some feedback from the IceTV technical folk about the problems I've been reporting about recording timer inconsistencies would be much appreciated.

Edit: when I refreshed the page (i'd left it as it was yesterday overnight), the icon for Medical Emergency changed from "Queued" to Scheduled. I now don't have any incorrect "Scheduled" icons in my Upcoming Shows list, but I'll watch out for any more.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 09:15:37 AM by prl »

Offline JPP

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: November 18, 2009, 01:49:10 PM »
Peter,

As you know, I've been havimg plenty of problems with ICETV and my new 2400 Toppy. We're still working on it and I have an almost daily conversation with Daniel about it......slowly eliminating what it could or could not be, and still no fix.

But, I have learnt a bit about how the ICE server works in relation to setting timers and EPG updates. I think this is how it works:

Firstly, on power up, the Toppy sends out a request for an EPG. If this request has not already been sent in the last 2 hours, it will honour the request and send out the EPG - this usually takes about 30 seconds I'm told. So, multiple power ups of the PVR will likely give you NO EPG if the first fetch was unsucessful  :'(, a most unplesant experience if this happens lots of times as it currently does with my 2400. The reason for this on the 2400 is that it first wipes the EPG cache, then sends out a request. So if the request is not honoured, you're left with a blank EPG for the next 2 hours. I would really like to see a double cache for obvious reasons. The PVR sends out an EPG request every 2 hours.

After the EPG has been uploaded, the PVR sends out a Timer Update request. Now, this request is examined and if there are no new timers to be sent, nothing is done. The PVR sends out Timer update requests every 30 mins according to Daniel, but if the server is busy, servicing the requests can be delayed.

Once the timers have been sent out, the ICE server waits for a reply from the PVR to see if it has received an error code. Apparently, this response is sent out during the next half hour poll. It's not until it has received a response giving the OK that the doughnuts are turned into solid circle(s). Again, if the server is busy, it may take a bit (or a lot longer) before this happens.

Daniel, please correct me if I've told porkies here.

Apart from my connection problem, I have also seen a couple of programming errors the last few days. One is the sending out of 2 timers for the same program (SBS News at 6.30pm). I have set a schedule to record the news on SD only, once a day.  On this occassion, I had one set for SBS ONE and one for SBS TWO. I have noted btw, that the scheduler chooses either SBS ONE or SBS TWO at random as both are idendical programs at the same time slot and op the same duration.

Btw, is anyone else having problems with long posts? My browser, IE8, causes the enrty box to jump around and the text I type is invisble at the bottom of the box until I scroll it up again to see what I have typed.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 02:52:32 PM by JPP »

Online prl

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: November 18, 2009, 02:23:52 PM »
Hi, JPP. What you've posted about the TF2400 is pretty much how I understand the process to work on the Beyonwiz, with a couple of small differences:
  • Caching the IceTV EPG on the Beyonwiz (including on the DP-H1 if it has a recording HDD) alleviates the problems caused by powering down and then powering up again before the next EPG fetch is due. The fetch is only done on the Beyonwiz after the cache has been loaded, so if the fetch fails, there isn't much of a problem.
  • The Beyonwiz has a small amount of user feedback about the IceTV Interactive updates, and when it does the Interactive update, it refers to it as "synchronising", which I've always taken to mean that the handshaking over timer setting takes place immediately. I can't see any reason for delaying the handshake, and lots of reasons for not delaying it. There's no feedback to the user about any delayed confirmation of timer setting, though that doesn't mean that it's not happening. Perhaps I need to pay some more attention to how long it takes from the Beyonwiz sending its timer request to when the IceTV icon updates.
That said, we power off our Beyonwiz when it's not in use, and it's possible that the power-off interrupts the handshake (that would be much more likely to happen of there was a delayed handshake from the PVR to IceTV), but I used to get quite a few of these, too many, I would have thought, for it to be caused by interrupted handshaking unless delayed handshaking was happening.

I think that the timer update (and EPG update) request timing is that the PVR sends a request (defaulting to 30 and 60 minutes apart for Interactive and EPG respectively), and the Ice serve responds either with "yes, here it is, and try again in X minutes", or "error, polled too soon, try again in X minutes". You can get a "polled too soon" response even if you're responding after the interval the server last told you to try.

It would be really good if more technical information about the operation of IceTV was available from the people who really know how it works!

Offline tonymy01

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: November 18, 2009, 03:15:03 PM »
It would be really good if more technical information about the operation of IceTV was available from the people who really know how it works!
Absolutely!  I have been begging for this for yonks on these forums.  Such things as "what happens when a timeslot changes, how does ICE reschedule and deal with the existing timer on the PVR?", "how does ICE deal with current timers on the PVR that weren't set on ICE?", "why does ICE delete my view timer when I do a resend_all twice a year to deal with DST transition?" etc.    If ICE were a bit more forth coming with the mechanics of interactive, then we don't have to second guess all this stuff.   They don't have to give their detailed IP/protocols away, just give basic info.
Also, do all  PVRs use the same ICE URL?   Do all PVRs require DNS to be setup properly (i.e. is it a URL, or an IP address)?  etc.
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).

Offline JPP

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: November 18, 2009, 04:09:32 PM »
I think a phone call to Daniel, who's usually there 9am-5pm 5 days a week, is the best path to get a better understanding of it all. It's how it has worked for me. But I haven't asked all the questions you pose - primarily because we're trying to solve another, but nevertheless related problem.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 04:11:45 PM by JPP »

Online prl

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: November 18, 2009, 04:52:56 PM »
Also, do all  PVRs use the same ICE URL?   Do all PVRs require DNS to be setup properly (i.e. is it a URL, or an IP address)?  etc.
There are two interesting-looking URL fragments in the Beyonwiz firmware:
remote-beyonwiz.icetv.com.au/cgi-bin/pimp/pimp_server
and
www.icetv.com.au/cgi-bin/epg/webpimpdevices.cgi?op=get_devices&format=plist

My guess is that the first is IceTV Interactive, and is Beyonwiz-specific, and the second is either for EPG or just to get the devices list, and is not device-specific. There isn't much of a hint about the protocol from a simple string extraction from the PIMP service in the Beyonwiz.

Offline futzle

• IceTV Beta
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: November 19, 2009, 05:03:42 PM »
The webimpdevices.cgi URL you can paste into any browser and see what it returns.  It's just an XML plist dictionary of all of your interactive devices (two in my case).

I'm about at the point where I am tempted to do some packet sniffing and see what actual conversations happen between my IceTV clients (one Beyonwiz, one EyeTV) and the server.  I know that "reverse engineering" is a dirty term in corporate-land, but I'm getting sick of waiting for a published API.

Online prl

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: November 29, 2009, 06:59:32 PM »
I'm still having problems with inconsistencies between what the IceTV Interactive Web page says about my recordings and what's on my Beyonwiz.
Some feedback from the IceTV technical folk about the problems I've been reporting about recording timer inconsistencies would be much appreciated. Any information the might be useful to Beyonwiz engineering about the 306 beta, if it is the cause, would also help.

After reporting that thess problems had gone away, they've now returned for me (ACT guide, Beyonwiz DP-S1, 1.03.311 beta firmware).

The Beast (serie) last night (ABC2 17 Nov, 2045) was displayed in the IceTV Interactive web page as a "Queued series", even though its timer had been sent to the Beyonwiz, and it recorded correctly, my series recording for Medical Emergency (Prime S, 18 Nov, 2000) is also still showing as "Queued series recording", but its timer has also been sent.

Not wishing to sound like a broken record, but:
Some feedback from the IceTV technical folk about the problems I've been reporting about recording timer inconsistencies would be much appreciated.

Edit: when I refreshed the page (i'd left it as it was yesterday overnight), the icon for Medical Emergency changed from "Queued" to Scheduled. I now don't have any incorrect "Scheduled" icons in my Upcoming Shows list, but I'll watch out for any more.

The problem is back.

Antiques Roadshow (WIN HD, 1700 Mon 30 Nov) is showing as "Scheduled Series Recording" in my IceTV account, even though the timer for that episode has been sent to our Beyonwiz.

ACT IceTV, Beyonwiz DP-S1, firmware 1.05.312 beta.

Offline JPP

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: November 29, 2009, 10:18:15 PM »
Hi, JPP. What you've posted about the TF2400 is pretty much how I understand the process to work on the Beyonwiz, with a couple of small differences:
  • Caching the IceTV EPG on the Beyonwiz (including on the DP-H1 if it has a recording HDD) alleviates the problems caused by powering down and then powering up again before the next EPG fetch is due. The fetch is only done on the Beyonwiz after the cache has been loaded, so if the fetch fails, there isn't much of a problem.
  • The Beyonwiz has a small amount of user feedback about the IceTV Interactive updates, and when it does the Interactive update, it refers to it as "synchronising", which I've always taken to mean that the handshaking over timer setting takes place immediately. I can't see any reason for delaying the handshake, and lots of reasons for not delaying it. There's no feedback to the user about any delayed confirmation of timer setting, though that doesn't mean that it's not happening. Perhaps I need to pay some more attention to how long it takes from the Beyonwiz sending its timer request to when the IceTV icon updates.
That said, we power off our Beyonwiz when it's not in use, and it's possible that the power-off interrupts the handshake (that would be much more likely to happen of there was a delayed handshake from the PVR to IceTV), but I used to get quite a few of these, too many, I would have thought, for it to be caused by interrupted handshaking unless delayed handshaking was happening.

I think that the timer update (and EPG update) request timing is that the PVR sends a request (defaulting to 30 and 60 minutes apart for Interactive and EPG respectively), and the Ice serve responds either with "yes, here it is, and try again in X minutes", or "error, polled too soon, try again in X minutes". You can get a "polled too soon" response even if you're responding after the interval the server last told you to try.

If you haven't already caught up with my thread on the Toppy Forum re all of this, have a look at it here:

http://www.itopfield.com.au/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=218&PID=1561&title=icetv-on-the-2400-issues#1561

Share via facebook Share via twitter

xx
NCIS: New Orleans - Repeat

Started by aeb001 on IceTV EPG Content

2 Replies
Last post August 08, 2019, 09:29:53 PM
by Tiphanee
xx
New openshop channel 75 issues

Started by ChrisW on General Discussions

9 Replies
Last post August 05, 2019, 08:01:06 PM