Author Topic: I don't get these keywords  (Read 3279 times)

Offline Trial_Master

• View Profile
I don't get these keywords
« on: April 12, 2009, 02:25:57 PM »
Hello

I've just updated a Keyword Favourite to exclude a word in the title. According to http://www.icetv.com.au/cgi-bin/websupport.cgi?op=show_faq&faq_id=151&faq_cat_id=23 this format should work "Cycling -BMX" but it removes all instances of the word Cycling too. I then tried without the quotes Cycling -BMX and it works.

Is it possible for ICE to give us a more detailed example of when to use quotes and when not too? I'm finding the whole Keyword feature hit and miss.

Offline Monaro427

• View Profile
Re: I don't get these keywords
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 10:29:45 PM »
On a related note, how would one record by keyword, but only if it's not a Repeat?

Looks like 'Cycling -Repeat' doesn't work. Any ideas?

Offline Trial_Master

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 10:32:05 PM »
You can't filter repeats in Keywords. It has been requested many times though.

Offline Monaro427

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 10:33:48 PM »
Yeah, OK. Was just about to edit my post as I found a post saying it's not possible. Sorry.

Offline Trial_Master

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 10:36:15 PM »
Nothing to be sorry about :)

Very valid question.

Offline Russell at IceTV

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 05:38:33 AM »
I've just updated a Keyword Favourite to exclude a word in the title. According to http://www.icetv.com.au/cgi-bin/websupport.cgi?op=show_faq&faq_id=151&faq_cat_id=23 this format should work "Cycling -BMX" but it removes all instances of the word Cycling too. I then tried without the quotes Cycling -BMX and it works.

The quotes are for when you want to include an exact phrase, such as with someone's first and last name: "Homer Simpson", as opposed to just the words "Homer" and "Simpson" separately, which might match "Homer Smith and Joe Simpson".  The minus sign is for when you want to exclude something.  So in your case, you don't need the quotes, because the -BMX part isn't actually part of the phrase you're searching for.

I think the help page you referred to is correct, but a bit hard to read because of the way it uses quotes around the keywords, as well as when doing phrase searches.  The page is updated now to be more clear on how keywords work.  Take a look and see if it makes more sense:

http://www.icetv.com.au/cgi-bin/websupport.cgi?op=show_faq&faq_id=151&faq_cat_id=23#keyword_record

We don't currently support searching by "repeat" status, but we will in the near future.

Russell

Offline Trial_Master

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 08:38:36 AM »

I think the help page you referred to is correct, but a bit hard to read because of the way it uses quotes around the keywords, as well as when doing phrase searches.  The page is updated now to be more clear on how keywords work.  Take a look and see if it makes more sense:

Much clearer. Thanks for that...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function seo_social_bookmarks()