Author Topic: Just curious! How would you  (Read 3810 times)

Offline Sybil

• View Profile
Just curious! How would you
« on: November 19, 2008, 11:38:43 AM »
.....value using this service, against other guides? On a score of 1/10? We are thinking of subscribing, but sort of feel that with all the programs that over run on ALL channels we may miss endings/beginnings etc anyway. At the moment we record the programs  and add another 15 minutes, but this is not satisfactory if we want to record other things at the same time. Plus I've been reading that sometimes Ice will mark something as a repeat when it isn't. My feeling at the moment is that this will be a great system eventually, but maybe we should wait for a while.

"Does IceTV's EPG run from a designated day each week?

The IceTV EPG (electronic program guide) is usually up-to-date for a week starting from the current day."

In other info it says if you update every day, you MAY get program changes but is not clear that includes overruns, especially those caused by 'live' shows such as Idol etc.

Looking forward to some feedback!

Sybil

Offline prl

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Just curious! How would you
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 12:17:31 PM »
8/10

IceTV Interactive works well for me, but I'm a person who doesn't think that missing a (very occasional) episode of a TV program is a major drama. I think that as they stand, Recommendations are next-to-useless. I don't find the new RSS feeds do what I'd like them to do, either, but they're still a work-in-progress. The last shift to DST was a bit of a mess for Beyonwiz users, though there was probably some contribution to that by the usual stuffups on broadcast time codes from the TV stations, too. Poor documentation of just how IceTV Interactive is supposed to work is also a weakness.

As far as I know, no EPG/PVR system deals with program overruns. Padding recordings, whether you do it automatically or manually, is the best workaround, but it's no true solution. Even any reasonable amount of padding won't necessarily get you the whole of a program. One Big Brother final ran more than 50 minutes past its scheduled end!
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3 & T4 for testing

Offline Marc

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 12:27:34 PM »
all the programs that over run on ALL channels we may miss endings/beginnings etc anyway. At the moment we record the programs and add another 15 minutes, but this is not satisfactory if we want to record other things at the same time.
It's very normal for shows to run overtime, unfortunately. Even if you have something set up as a series record (so every episode gets scheduled automatically), there's only really one way to ensure you'll record the entire program... with "padding". Just like you're doing now, most IceTV users have their PVR set up to start recording a few minutes early and stop 15 or 20 minutes late.

You can record two programs at once if you have a PVR with two tuners, so that helps with recordings overlapping due to padding.

Please also note that IceTV is a lot more than just an EPG. IceTV Interactive adds a lot of very powerful features to your PVR, like automatic series recording and the brand new keyword recording (more info here).

Offline mtb

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 12:10:44 AM »
.....value using this service, against other guides? On a score of 1/10?
I'd have to give it a 9/10.  We've been using it for over two years and found it so utterly convenient and invaluable when combined with hardware that can automatically set the recordings (recent PVRs such as Beyonwiz or Topfield 7100 or media centre, etc.).

Unlike the upcoming offerings from the commercial stations, who have only their own interests at heart, Ice have been helpful, responsive and adaptive to the changing needs of their users.  For less than a weekly paper with a TV guide, all the pain of looking for those elusive gems among the dross on the current TV schedules is taken away.

Unlike prl, I love the new RSS feeds and also the keyword search recordings, though recommendations are a waste of time for me too.  Interactive is truly brilliant and the last DST change was blissfully uneventful for our Beyonwiz, unlike the old Topfield.

Take a short subscription and see how good it is - if you don't agree, don't renew!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 12:16:42 AM by mtb »
Beyonwiz DP-P2, Epson EH-TW5500, Pioneer VSXLX52 & BDP-320, Screen Technics 100” screen, WD Live TV x2, 6Tb NAS (Linux)
Beyonwiz DP-S1, VIERA TH-42PA60A
HTC Desire (rooted) Froyo
Topfield 5000MP

Offline prl

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 06:41:14 AM »
.....value using this service, against other guides? On a score of 1/10?
Unlike prl, I love the new RSS feeds and also the keyword search recordings, though recommendations are a waste of time for me too.  ...

I wouldn't say I don't like the RSS feeds (I have one set). They just don't let me have the sort of notifications I want.

I don't think I've ever commented about keyword recordings, but I do find them useful. I have one for Kurt Wallander at the moment. Really only because for some reason, IceTV has decided that Kurt Wallander isn't a series. Or at least the last series wasn't, and I can't be bothered finding out whether this one is or isn't. It would have been useful when I was recording the ABC's Hitchcock Season a while back, too.

Why is it so hard to find out from the IceTV interface whether a program is part of a series or not?

Offline mtb

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2008, 12:55:14 PM »
I don't think I've ever commented about keyword recordings
Sorry, it's the way I wrote it, I didn't mean it to suggest you had expressed an opinion on that one.

As for series, I think it comes down to your definition of one - if the title stays the same across multiple programmes, irrespective of if they are a formal series, Interactive will record them as such - it's a matter of interpretation.  I prefer to think of the recordings as repeating (persistant) and non-repeating (one-time only) - after all, a single series recording will actually record multiple series if all use the same title.

Offline prl

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2008, 01:22:57 PM »
As for series, I think it comes down to your definition of one - if the title stays the same across multiple programmes, irrespective of if they are a formal series, Interactive will record them as such - it's a matter of interpretation.  I prefer to think of the recordings as repeating (persistant) and non-repeating (one-time only) - after all, a single series recording will actually record multiple series if all use the same title.
In the case of Kurt Wallander, what I would consider to be the episode name is used in the title. The one showing on Monday is Kurt Wallander - Sidetracked and its episode name is 'Part 2'.

I thought that IceTV series were a bit smarter than just following the program title, that they used some unique index to link them together. I'm sure I've seen someone from the IceTV crew post to that effect.

Anyway, no matter how it's series are identified, I really can't see why IceTV presents Wallander as one-offs, but, say Touch of Frost or The Bill, which are also "movie-length" episodes, as series. I'd also like IceTV program entries that aren't series to not have a "Show Series Options" button. That just makes no sense at all to me.

Share via facebook Share via twitter

xx
nothing appearing in the feed for ABC ME, just the channel id, 2018.07.08 am

Started by chopper on IceTV EPG Content

4 Replies
Last post July 11, 2018, 12:12:59 AM
by chopper
xx
Forum software still Post-ing when it should just Preview

Started by prl on General Discussions

3 Replies
Last post September 07, 2016, 10:02:40 PM