Author Topic: Holiday remote recording computer settings  (Read 2576 times)

Offline confuseduser

• View Profile
Holiday remote recording computer settings
« on: January 08, 2011, 07:06:50 PM »
Hi

I am having no problem scheduling remote recording from work when my wife is using the computer during the day.  However I am a bit confused about scheduling remote recordings when on holidays.

I understand that the Beyonwiz will be activated when it makes a recording and that I can additionally set a "view" timer for say midday each day.

I am assuming though that I also need a computer on to send the recordings to the Beyonwiz?  Usually my computers would just go to sleep after a period of time.  Do I need to change the settings so that the computer does not go to sleep?  And can I have my computer set to turn off the display?

Any advice would be great.  I would like to test but is hard with the family constantly needing to use the computer!

Cheers

Offline grampus

• IceTV Beta
  • Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Holiday remote recording computer settings
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 08:49:46 PM »
Hi

I am having no problem scheduling remote recording from work when my wife is using the computer during the day.  However I am a bit confused about scheduling remote recordings when on holidays.

I understand that the Beyonwiz will be activated when it makes a recording and that I can additionally set a "view" timer for say midday each day.

I am assuming though that I also need a computer on to send the recordings to the Beyonwiz?  Usually my computers would just go to sleep after a period of time.  Do I need to change the settings so that the computer does not go to sleep?  And can I have my computer set to turn off the display?

Any advice would be great.  I would like to test but is hard with the family constantly needing to use the computer!

Cheers
I'm not sure where you are with this!
But, I have to make a couple of assumptions.
1:  You have a beyonwiz, 'cause you said so.
So a view timer for an hour will do what you want to wake up the BW and request and receive any updates.
2:  You are using Ice or wish to use Ice to schedule your recordings.  This is set up via a browser on any PC, not necessarily your home computer.
  You can set up recordings from work, via an I phone , or other applications, its not tied to your home computer.
You only need to have the ability to logon to the Ice Website, access the interactive scheduling software on the server, set up your timers, and then when the BW wakes up, it sends a request to the website to send any new updates.
3:  the assumption is now how you have your BW access the internet, separately via a router.  If that's the case, the home PC doesn't come into the equation.  Unless you are using the BW to access the internet directly through your PC as the router, then that's another ball game.
Hope that's somewhere near to what you are getting at?

BeyonWiz, T3

Offline prl

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 10:48:52 PM »
The router, of course, needs to stay on while you're on holidays :)
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3 & T4 for testing

Offline confuseduser

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 10:49:16 PM »
I have a network cable running from the Beyonwiz to a wireless router that connects wirelessly to computers.

So it sounds like I was mistakenly thinking I need a computer on when really I just need to make sure the router is connected and the timers should be sent direct to the Wiz from the router?  Is this correct?

Offline grampus

• IceTV Beta
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 11:23:00 PM »
I have a network cable running from the Beyonwiz to a wireless router that connects wirelessly to computers.

So it sounds like I was mistakenly thinking I need a computer on when really I just need to make sure the router is connected and the timers should be sent direct to the Wiz from the router?  Is this correct?
Correct the sequence, and path would be:
Via a daily view only timer, BW wakes up.
Sends request to the Ice server, via the router.
Server sends any updates via the router to the BW.

You in the boonies somewhere, says Oh I need to add another timer.
Finds internet cafe, works the Iphone app, takes out notebook and connects to the internet, changes the servers timer setup.

Offline prl

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 11:27:21 AM »

Correct the sequence, and path would be:
Via a daily view only timer, BW wakes up.
Sends request to the Ice server, via the router.
Server sends any updates via the router to the BW.

I have a setup like this for my DP-H1. When it wakes up, my computer is almost never on. Works just fine.

You in the boonies somewhere, says Oh I need to add another timer.
Finds internet cafe, works the Iphone app, takes out notebook and connects to the internet, changes the servers timer setup.

And the relevant timers get sent to the Beyonwiz when it next wakes up, either for the regular timer, or for a recording (i.e. the update doesn't get sent to the Beyonwiz immediately)..

Share via facebook Share via twitter

xx
IceTV holiday dates

Started by pvogel on General Discussions

1 Replies
Last post December 19, 2007, 04:15:16 PM
by Daniel Hall at IceTV
xx
Phone support on holidays?

Started by Yeldarb on Topfield

2 Replies
Last post February 25, 2007, 06:53:46 PM