Author Topic: Guide display in landscape?  (Read 5395 times)

Offline Telani

• View Profile
Guide display in landscape?
« on: May 06, 2009, 01:02:03 PM »
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone knew how to get their EPG to display like they have as an example on the 'Overview' page.
http://www.icetv.com.au/about/

Is it possible to get your 'Interactive' page to display this way... or is this display in an additional software/program?

Thanks for any help!
Cheers
Telani

Vortical

Re: Guide display in landscape?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 01:48:09 PM »
This certainly would be nice, I'd be interested in knowing if it's possible too.

Might be something they are working on and yet to release soon ;D

Offline melmac

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 02:30:30 PM »

Is it possible to get your 'Interactive' page to display this way... or is this display in an additional software/program?

Thanks for any help!
Cheers
Telani

Hi Telani

This is how the guide looks in Vista Media Centre, it would indeed be nice to have the interactive look similar or at least better than it does now, however I'm pretty sure that Grid style listings of EPG is copyrighted which is probably why Ice interactive uses list style

Mel

Offline Telani

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 02:57:51 PM »
Hi Mel!
Thanks for your response...
Question: What is "Vista Media Centre" - and can I get it!  :)

Cheers,
Telani
(going to Google it now.... )

Offline Telani

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 03:16:02 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Media_Center

http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft/Windows-Windows-Vista/category/101
Looks like it starts from $99.95USD... not even sure if this version has the Media Centre as such.

Bummer...
For that price I guess I'll stick to viewing my Program Guide in http://www.yourtv.com.au  and then search & record the items in the IceTV guide.
I just find it so hard to read the guide when it's in the format we see on the 'Interactive' page.

Also think it's a huge bit of false advertising - to have on the 'About/Overview' page - a screenshot of an obviously superior Guide format - that isn't provided with the subscription... grumble grumble grumble  :)

Offline prl

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 03:16:39 PM »

Thanks for any help!
Cheers
Telani

Hi Telani

This is how the guide looks in Vista Media Centre, it would indeed be nice to have the interactive look similar or at least better than it does now, however I'm pretty sure that Grid style listings of EPG is copyrighted which is probably why Ice interactive uses list style

Mel

I'm not sure whether the "grid style" of layout is something that can be copyrighted in Australia. I'm not a lawyer, but in general it's works that are copyrightable in Australia. I'd be really interested to hear from someone who actually knows, who it is that owns the Copyright over "grid style" and just what precisely is copyrighted. EPGs have been patented (US patent 4751578, June 1988), but the patent claims don't mention layout at all.

Anyway, the grid style of layout is used by both Beyonwiz and Topfield for their EPGs.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3 & T4 for testing

Vortical

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 03:22:12 PM »
Vista Media centre is part of the Windows Vista products.
I'm not sure if all versions have it though.

I'd avoid buying Vista if you don't have it because the next Windows Operating System is already ready for release within a year or so.
Windows 7, you can actually download Windows 7 Release Candidate for free to play around with it.

So far after a quick bit of research it's much better than Vista although I'd take that with a grain of salt, I'd rather test it myself.
I downloaded a 64-bit version of Windows 7 RC yesterday (3GB download btw) now I just need to sort out a computer to put it on.

See here for more info on Windows 7
http://www.microsoft.com/australia/windows/windows-7/
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 03:24:04 PM by Vortical »

Offline prl

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 03:34:43 PM »
Also think it's a huge bit of false advertising - to have on the 'About/Overview' page - a screenshot of an obviously superior Guide format - that isn't provided with the subscription... grumble grumble grumble  :)

The image should probably say where it's taken from. The IceTV Shop page makes it a bit clearer, with examples of what the EPG looks like on a number of the supported PVRs/HTPCs, as well as a small image of what the IceTV Widget looks like. If you click on the Widget link on this page, you can see what one of its interfaces looks like in more detail. If you're not a subscriber, you can click on the Interactive link on the top bar of most pages ads see what the Web Guide format looks like (and access a 7-day guide).

The image on the "Build your own library" tab on the IceTV home page probably should also be labelled (as, I think, also an image from WMC). The "Build your own library" tab ("All your programs are stored in a library so you can easily choose what you want to watch and when") really has nothing to do with IceTV at all - it's about what you can do with a PVR or HTPC, and you can do that whether you have IceTV or not; you can do it even if you don't have an EPG or a PVR. It's perfectly possible to do just that with a paper guide and VCR, for example. An EPG and PVR make it a bit easier, that's all.

Offline OzRob

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 11:59:16 AM »
Vista Media centre is part of the Windows Vista products.
I'm not sure if all versions have it though.

Vista Home Premium and Ultimate both come with Media Center. Other versions - like Basic and Business - don't.

I'd avoid buying Vista if you don't have it because the next Windows Operating System is already ready for release within a year or so. Windows 7, you can actually download Windows 7 Release Candidate for free to play around with it.

Yes. Windows 7 RC1 includes Media Center and I believe the IceGuide will work with it. The RC1 license gives you one year to play before it stops working. By all accounts it is better than Vista in most areas, including the Media Center component.

Offline melmac

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 01:18:35 PM »
I'm not sure whether the "grid style" of layout is something that can be copyrighted in Australia. I'm not a lawyer, but in general it's works that are copyrightable in Australia. I'd be really interested to hear from someone who actually knows, who it is that owns the Copyright over "grid style" and just what precisely is copyrighted. EPGs have been patented (US patent 4751578, June 1988), but the patent claims don't mention layout at all.

Anyway, the grid style of layout is used by both Beyonwiz and Topfield for their EPGs.

You are correct :) Copyright definitely the wrong word should've used Patent at first I couldn't remember where I read about it but then I found it, link here http://www.smarthouse.com.au/TVs_And_Large_Display/Industry/B6J2L4X5?page=1 . Personally I think its pretty ridicules that someone can patent a grid but I'm no lawyer just the inconvenienced end user :)

Offline prl

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 02:05:19 PM »

You are correct :) Copyright definitely the wrong word should've used Patent at first I couldn't remember where I read about it but then I found it, link here http://www.smarthouse.com.au/TVs_And_Large_Display/Industry/B6J2L4X5?page=1 . Personally I think its pretty ridicules that someone can patent a grid but I'm no lawyer just the inconvenienced end user :)
Curiouser and curiouser...

The article says:
Gemstar which is 41% owned by Rupert Murdoch has told ChannelNews that they will sue if anyone in Australia who tries to use their patented EPG grid format guide without a license agreement.

So have Topfield and Beyonwiz paid the license fee, or should they expect a nasty letter from Rupert's lawyers in the post Real Soon Now?

As for the use of a grid, it's not clear without the patent number whether the Gemstar patent includes other more clearly inventive aspects, or whether there are particular aspects of the use of a grid that are sufficiently inventive to be patented.

In the Australian Patents Act 1990, an invention is patentable if it is (amongst other things): novel, involves an inventive step, and is useful.

An inventive step is:
an invention is to be taken to involve an inventive step when compared with the prior art base unless the invention would have been obvious to a person skilled in the relevant art in the light of the common general knowledge as it existed in the patent area before the priority date of the relevant claim ...

And of course, just because something has been patented doesn't mean that the patent can't be successfully challenged, though you'd want to have pretty deep pockets to take on News Ltd.

Offline jorkrim

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 06:07:56 PM »
If a grid is out of the question, then how about some extra features that make it easier to identify conflictings timeslots ?

i.e. a "Show overlap" button next to each program that when you click on it, changes the colour of overlapping programs. Or at least a warning before you bother trying to send it to your PVR?

I'm not sure of the details of the patent, but maybe if just the scheduled records were show on a timeline it would make things clearer without breaching the patent conditions ?

Share via facebook Share via twitter

xx
Changing Guide Region

Started by Trial_Master on General Discussions

2 Replies
Last post June 23, 2019, 06:40:28 PM
by Trial_Master
xx
Account guide settings

Started by simoncasey on IceTV EPG Content

24 Replies
Last post June 19, 2019, 05:35:32 PM