Author Topic: Different coloured Icons for each device  (Read 3610 times)

Offline JPP

• Guru
    • View Profile
Different coloured Icons for each device
« on: May 18, 2009, 12:01:13 PM »
Just thought I would throw in an idea that has no doubt been considered, but as far as I can see never raised officially.

I now have two devices, a Wiz and a Toppy, that I program from my computer.

At the moment, there is no easy way to determine if there is a tuner clash when programming recordings as there is no algoritm on the ICE site that carries out a clash test. Pre and Post padding further complicate things.

It would help enormously if the Icons in the Web and Widget interfaces could display which device has been set to record a particular program.

If we could have say purple icons for a second device, that would greatly help seeing clashes at a glance.

What do you all think of this idea? Would it be terribly difficult to implement?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 03:56:55 PM by JPP »
Phil.
Beyonwiz T2, DVDO Duo Video Processor

Offline prl

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Different coloured Icons for each device
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 02:05:42 PM »
I think it's a good idea. Three colours might be needed, though, because a subscription allows for up to three devices.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3 & T4 for testing

Offline JPP

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 03:59:22 PM »
I think it's a good idea. Three colours might be needed, though, because a subscription allows for up to three devices.
Absolutely! Should we go for Red, Green and Blue?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 04:04:08 PM by JPP »

Offline Daniel Hall at IceTV

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • View Profile
    • IceTV
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 04:20:46 PM »
We are looking at the best ways to show more information under the Interactive screens, however there are complications with trying to use different colours for different devices.

We currently use red, orange, green and yellow to indicate different recording states and types so you'd then need 3 lots of 4 different colours to show all of these states.
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.

Offline prl

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 05:12:53 PM »
While we're on the topic of icons, it would be nice to be able to click on the yellow triangle ! icon and have it say what the error was :)

Offline JPP

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 10:28:53 PM »
We are looking at the best ways to show more information under the Interactive screens, however there are complications with trying to use different colours for different devices.

We currently use red, orange, green and yellow to indicate different recording states and types so you'd then need 3 lots of 4 different colours to show all of these states.
Thanks Daniel,

I think we could possibly reduce the total number of colours needed though.

For example, Green for Favourites could you be the one colour as I don't think you really care on which Device you have set it.

Same for the Orange dot for past recordings.

The Yellow Icon would have to be Device specific as that refers to a timer clash.

Lastly, using different shaped Icons, as we already do anyway, gets around the problem pretty well anyhow.

I'll have a bit of a ponder over the next few days and come back with a colour scheme that maybe might suit most people.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 08:43:37 AM by JPP »

Offline prl

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 09:00:17 AM »
For example, Green for Favourites could you be the one colour as I don't think you really care on which Device you have set it.
Favourites are already specific only to the show. They get flagged as favorites independent of any of their recording status marks - recording/not recording, HD/SD are all ignored for the Favorites flag.

Offline JPP

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 10:30:43 AM »
Yes, thanks Peter - realised that sometime after I wrote it. That really brings us back to a fairly simple 3 colour code system then.

Recording status is really all we need for each individual device and these symbols/icons already have a unigue shape.

So, maybe we could have:

Red - Device #1 (as used currently)
Purple - Device #2 (new colour)
Blue - Device #3 (new colour)

Using these colours we will not be duplicating any existing colours. They all contrast well against a black background - the Blue would preferably be a light blue as opposed to a deep dark blue, but I think the standard primary blue would be satisfactory on most if not all monitors.

What about this scheme Daniel?

Offline csutak40

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 01:29:44 PM »
While we're on the topic of icons, it would be nice to be able to click on the yellow triangle ! icon and have it say what the error was :)

I agree!
Cheers,
Judy
Windows 7 Media Center; Last Update Feb 20 2006; Beyonwiz T4, T2

Share via facebook Share via twitter

xx
Recording the same program on a different device

Started by TimC on Smart Recording on Windows Phone

0 Replies
Last post October 08, 2017, 09:04:12 PM
by TimC
xx