Author Topic: Could Movies: be a series?  (Read 4215 times)

Offline bodogbodog

• IceTV Beta
  • Guru
    • View Profile
Could Movies: be a series?
« on: March 26, 2009, 08:55:44 PM »
The reason I ask this is that I'm looking for Vista Media Center to keep all my Movies in one "series' sub folder - like any other TV series does (ie multiple episodes under one thumbnail)

The reason I ask is that now that Windows Home Server can store Recorded TV files and Media Center and Extenders see those recordings and list them under Recorded TV I find I have too many files appearing in my Recorded TV listings (I am unable to put the Movies into a Windows folder and have that appear in Recorded TV - that would have been an easy fix)

I can see the downside that if they were marked as a series then if someone recorded a Movie as a series then they'd find that they'd pick up further Movies as part of the series record function - but hopefully there is a way around it?

Beyonwiz T2 1gb + E8400 Win Svr 2013, 4GB RAM, 8TB storage, Tiny Twin USB Tuner, Hauppauge WinTV NOVA TD-500 Tuner + IceTV Skippa

Offline marcusstringer

• View Profile
Re: Could Movies: be a series?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 07:25:06 AM »
Because that is more a VMC question then a IceTV Guide question then you would be better off asking it over here:
http://www.xpmediacentre.com.au/community/
Marcus
Twitter: @MarcusStringer
www.midlandtypsetters.com.au

Offline prl

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 09:20:06 AM »
I asked for something similar a while back, when ABC was showing a season of Hitchcock movies. It was advertised on the ABC as a "season", but not marked as a series in IceTV. Similarly, Kurt Wallander showings are marked as individual movies (I'm not sure in the current season, because I now have it as a keyword recording), not as a series, even though Wallander is certainly episodic. If Morse or Dalziel & Pascoe are series, I'm not sure why Wallander isn't (or wasn't).

Anyway, the thing that's most annoying about this is that there's no way of telling from the Ice Web and Widget interfaces, or from the Beyonwiz GUI, whether a show is part of a series or not. All shows have a "Record Series" button, whether IceTV considers them a series or not, and the only way to find out whether something's part of a series is to set a series recording, and see whether the episode after next is scheduled for recording!.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3 & T4 for testing

Offline bodogbodog

• IceTV Beta
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 09:21:12 AM »
I've also posted on it there - http://www.xpmediacentre.com.au/community/vista-media-center-software/36014-sorting-recorded-tv-folder-sub-folders-possible.html - but with a slightly different angle focused on Media Center

BUT - my post above is an ICETV specific question about how it's setup in ICETV - so I believe it's valid in these forums

Offline prl

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 09:31:17 AM »
BUT - my post above is an ICETV specific question about how it's setup in ICETV - so I believe it's valid in these forums
I agree, I think that this is very much an IceTV question. At least knowing whether a show is part of a series would be a start.

Offline marcusstringer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 10:18:27 AM »
Well wouldn't anything with a "MOVIE:" in front of it be a series and thus record as a series of "MOVIE:" and the movie name would then become an episode title.

Just like what is happening with underbelly at the moment

Only, we want it both ways

This is why I thought it would be a VMC issue and not a guide issue.

Can't you find how and where VMC is making these sub folders for the TV series rocords and simply duplicate and copy you movies into that...
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 10:24:51 AM by marcusstringer »

Offline bodogbodog

• IceTV Beta
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 06:35:49 PM »
Can't you find how and where VMC is making these sub folders for the TV series rocords and simply duplicate and copy you movies into that...

What sub folders? - that is the issue! - I am asking how do you create sub folders within Recorded TV on Media Center in the Media Center forums

but here I'm asking why / if ICETV could create Movies as a series - as that would suit those of us who use Media Center (it may not be so good for other systems of course)

Any comments from the ICETV team?

Offline Russell at IceTV

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 07:47:35 AM »
I don't think there's any way to create folders on MCE's Recorded TV page.  Vista's Media Center has the ability to group shows by series if you select the "title" option at the top of the page, or you can sort them by date by selecting "date recorded".  But they're not really stored in folders anywhere on the disk.  They all appear in the Recorded TV folder of your hard drive, and then are just sorted in different ways on the screen.

I think the only way to group movies together is to have them all grouped into one series in the guide data, like we do for true series like The Simpsons.  The problem though, as you said, is that if you created a series recording for movies, it would record all movies, depending of course on how you set the "new/repeat" option.  But in either case, I don't think anyone would want that.

All movies are in the category "Movie", so you can go to the guide page and tell it to display just movies, or you can search by category for movies.  Unfortunately there's no "category" option on the Recorded TV page, which might get closer to what you want.

Sorry, but I don't see a good way to do this.  Maybe future versions of MCE will have something.

Russell

Offline bodogbodog

• IceTV Beta
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 07:49:45 PM »
Thanks - fair synopsis but like you say no obvious solution

I've posted this on The Green Button - http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/thread/347428.aspx - and got no replies

I've posted this on The Australia Media Center - http://www.xpmediacentre.com.au/community/vista-media-center-software/36014-sorting-recorded-tv-folder-sub-folders-possible.html#post246921 - and haven't had much luck there either

so it looks like a dead end for me - I'll just move the Movies back into a Video folder on the WHS and then they won't appear under Recorded TV

Share via facebook Share via twitter