Author Topic: Combine Consecutive Timers  (Read 5912 times)

Offline Dazza

• View Profile
Combine Consecutive Timers
« on: August 20, 2008, 07:08:37 PM »
I have upgraded my Toppy 5000 to the TF71000 and are now using ice interative

I used to use TEDS to upload timers via the Icebox2

One thing I found very useful with TEDS was that consecutive timers on the same channel were combined into a single timer before uploading to the toppy.

Like the other night i recorded a NCIS (2 consecutive episodes) and have 2 separate recordings. The other thing is that due to the networks being unable to keep to their program times, you have to open the next recording to see the end of the 1st show.

On the toppy 5000 I would have just had one recording which ran for 2 hours, rather than 2 one hour recordings.

I think this might be a useful feature if possible.

Dazza

Offline pandem

• View Profile
Re: Combine Consecutive Timers
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 04:17:15 PM »
Dazza,

Could not agree more. I have noted that on consective programs for example, 'The New Inventors' and 'Spicks and Specks' that I get two files. The only problem is end of the inventors is on the beginning of the Spicks and Specks file. What would be best is if the end of one propgram  and the begining of the next were 5-10 minutes apart then why not append the total recording time.
Surely if TEDS can do it then icetv can do it.

Offline richardp

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 11:45:37 PM »
The PVR should be responsible for combining consecutive timers. Beyonwiz and Topfield (and whoever else implement IceTV Interactive) should add an user option for automatically combining consecutive timers into a single file, and maybe even adding a bookmark at the point where the second timer starts.

This is not a feature that IceTV should implement since it makes more sense for IceTV to tell the PVR when each timer is and the PVR can do what it likes with them, such as combining them.

Vortical

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 09:35:57 PM »
I personally don't agree with this feature.

For starters it won't be able to contain the info for each program

Then there is the space problem, you can't delete the recording to regain hdd space until after you watch the whole file.

The editing feature on the Topfield won't reduce the hdd space used for the recording either.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 11:09:57 PM by Vortical »

Offline Marc

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 10:37:03 PM »
This is not a feature that IceTV should implement since it makes more sense for IceTV to tell the PVR when each timer is and the PVR can do what it likes with them, such as combining them.
My opinion (not necessarily IceTV's!) is the same as richardp's.

I think IceTV should provide the PVR with all the correct information and the PVR should then be able to make an informed and intelligent decision.

Offline Gary

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 11:06:40 PM »
I think the option should be offered by IceTV after all the whole idea with IceTV Interactive should be to auotmate the process

Vortical

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 11:13:47 PM »
I think the option should be offered by IceTV after all the whole idea with IceTV Interactive should be to auotmate the process

But you would lose all the IceTV info associated with multiple programs.

If you want this feature I think it needs to be brought forward to the PVR manufacturer.

Offline Dazza

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 10:31:58 AM »
With TEDS, the software used to add the names of the consecutive timers.

e.g

Ten news + Simpsons.

Yes you lost some of the guide data but it saved you being kicked out when the 1st recording finished and then having to load the second recording to watch the end of the 1st program

Even JustEPG had an option to Merge timers.

Whether ICETV can do it or the PVR manufacturer it should an optional setting rather than a default function to suit the users preferences

Vortical

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 10:39:30 AM »
You do realise you just have to select the two (or more) programs in the File List by pressing the red button in the order you want them to play while they are highlighted

Then hit OK with the first one selected to play them and the PVR will play them all back2back without interuption!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 10:41:22 AM by Vortical »

Offline Dazza

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 11:04:25 AM »
You do realise you just have to select the two (or more) programs in the File List by pressing the red button in the order you want them to play while they are highlighted

Then hit OK with the first one selected to play them and the PVR will play them all back2back without interuption!

I'll try that, thanks for the tip

Share via facebook Share via twitter