IceTV Forum

IceTV General => IceTV EPG Content => Topic started by: prl on May 12, 2017, 04:43:36 PM

Title: The questionable motives of Nancy Wake?
Post by: prl on May 12, 2017, 04:43:36 PM
Why does the synopsis for "Nancy Wake: Gestapo's Most Wanted" (SBS Viceland 17:30 Sun 14 May) end with "She fought to win back her country and for her husband's life?" posed as a question? As it is, Betteridge's Law would say that the answer is "No." ;) Surely it should end just with a full stop, or perhaps an exclamation mark.

The SBS online guide is the same, but it just looks wrong.

Also, IceTV says that the show is Australian, SBS says that it's from New Zealand (or UK & New Zealand, depending on which bit of their synopsis you believe).

It doesn't look like the IceTV synopsis is taken from the current SBS synopsis, because the IceTV synopsis misses out the bit in the first sentence where the SBS version says that Nancy Wake was born in New Zealand.
Title: Re: The questionable motives of Nancy Wake?
Post by: Alison on May 12, 2017, 06:31:59 PM
Hi Prl,

This synopsis was the original information given to us from SBS for the first airing on 22/3/15.

I have updated the description to the current wording and changed the question mark to a full stop.
Post by: MD on May 12, 2017, 07:05:58 PM
Hi prl,

It would be enormously helpful to us if you also gave SBS a poke!! We are supposed to use their EPG data 'as is" and not be their proof reader, so some jarring grammar or punctuation slips through.  Alison does her best but an extra direct jab at their sloppiness would (maybe!) be helpful.
Post by: raymondjpg on May 12, 2017, 08:21:37 PM
Hi prl,

It would be enormously helpful to us if you also gave SBS a poke!! We are supposed to use their EPG data 'as is" and not be their proof reader, so some jarring grammar or punctuation slips through.  Alison does her best but an extra direct jab at their sloppiness would (maybe!) be helpful.

I would just leave it as it is, having explained that SBS doesn't want you to monkey around with their EPG data, and show them up for what they are. Something else that particularly annoys me about SBS is their arrogation of copyright for subtitles that have clearly built on the foundation efforts of others, notably the BBC. I guess to be charitable it could be argued that SBS is looking after the interests of others who have done the groundbreaking work, but I'm not feeling in that sort of mood right now.