IceTV Forum

IceTV Applications => Smart Recording website and General questions => Topic started by: IanL-S on October 18, 2012, 01:37:26 PM

Title: Series Recording - first run only - first run items not flagged in red
Post by: IanL-S on October 18, 2012, 01:37:26 PM
Over the last few days several of my series timers (first run only) have not been recorded. When checking timers this afternoon I found 3 first runs that had grey circles (indicating they are reruns) but the data indicates that they are first runs.

Has anyone else seen this?

Ian
Title: Re: Series Recording - first run only - first run items not flagged in red
Post by: Dave at IceTV on October 18, 2012, 02:04:19 PM
Hi Ian,

Were these new series recordings, or ones that had already been set and working previously?

Looking at your account they have solid red icons now.
Title: Re: Series Recording - first run only - first run items not flagged in red
Post by: IanL-S on October 18, 2012, 03:27:16 PM
These series recording has been in place for some time. On Toppy 3 I went in and redid the series recording which seemed to fix the issue. There was a similar problem on Toppy 5, which I also had to fix (if I recall correctly). On both these Toppys there was a phantom recording for Lethal Weapon 4 tonight (or it may be tomorrow night). I definitely did not set either of them. I deleted them (not sure if I did this on the Toppy or the Interactive site ... I relatively confident that I did so on the IceTV Interactive site). It is strange that the same error occurred on both the main Toppy (Toppy 3) and the backup Toppy (Toppy 4) ... both are 2400s running October 2012 beta firmware. However, as the issues seems to be at the IceTV server end, rather than with the Toppy, the firmware being run should not make any difference. I have seen several phantom reservation/timers in the last week. Often in the middle of the night.

I also see on next Monday (22 October) 1 am there is two entries for JAG, one for Boomerang Part 1 and the other for Boomerang Part 2. Also, according to promotions running on TEN in Melbourne, the Tuesday night episodes of NCSI and NCSI Los Angeles are first run, yet they are listed as repeats on IceTV Interactive.

Ian
Post by: grampus on October 19, 2012, 08:10:55 AM
Over the last few days several of my series timers (first run only) have not been recorded. When checking timers this afternoon I found 3 first runs that had grey circles (indicating they are reruns) but the data indicates that they are first runs.

Ian
Yes, I had one yesterday as well.  The problem was seen on both my Ipad, and PC.  I had refreshed a couple of times.
Looking at the sheduled item, when I went to alter screen , it advised at the top that it was part of a series, but wasn't scheduled.  No reason given.
After reporting it to support, I was advised that it as now red. 
Rechecked and as advised it was correct.
Another mystery in our wonderful world of capacitors/inductors/resisters/firmware/multiware/vaporware that we use to make our life easier.
Post by: Trial_Master on October 20, 2012, 10:30:21 PM
Same situation here. I have The Good Wife on a series recording but next weeks show is grey and has no reason for not scheduling. I just raised a support ticket #19712

Ian
Yes, I had one yesterday as well.  The problem was seen on both my Ipad, and PC.  I had refreshed a couple of times.
Looking at the sheduled item, when I went to alter screen , it advised at the top that it was part of a series, but wasn't scheduled.  No reason given.
After reporting it to support, I was advised that it as now red. 
Rechecked and as advised it was correct.
Another mystery in our wonderful world of capacitors/inductors/resisters/firmware/multiware/vaporware that we use to make our life easier.
Post by: prl on October 25, 2012, 05:44:42 PM
I've had an instance of this, now, too (ACT Guide, Beyonwiz DP-Lite, fw 01.07.350).

It was for Highway Patrol (Prime S 19:30 Wed 31 Oct). "First runs only" series recording, show not marked as a repeat, but greyed out with the usual less-than-specific tooltip "Series recording not scheduled to record", which is what the greyed-out icon tells me anyway.

I appear to have fixed it just by going to "Update series on ...", and then updating the series without changing anything. Normal red scheduled recording icon reappears. Just need to wait now to see if it "sticks".
Post by: prl on October 27, 2012, 05:54:22 PM
The fix for Highway Patrol seems to have "stuck". I just updated IceTV on the Beyonwizes, and it's now showing as a red scheduled series recording icon.
Post by: prl on October 29, 2012, 05:02:12 PM
But now, my series recording for The Bridge disappeared from My Week for no apparent reason. I've just added it back.

(ACT Guide. Beyonwiz DP-P2, fw 01.05.350)
Post by: raymondjpg on October 29, 2012, 06:05:40 PM
But now, my series recording for The Bridge disappeared from My Week for no apparent reason. I've just added it back.
I also had the same grey circles, and fixed by updating the series, but in my case the series recording for The Bridge is still safely there in My Week. I do not have any overlapping timers for that night.
Post by: Vortical on October 30, 2012, 03:30:17 AM
I also had the same grey circles, and fixed by updating the series, but in my case the series recording for The Bridge is still safely there in My Week. I do not have any overlapping timers for that night.
All my recorings for sun night were grey for all new episodes.

I updated each of the series record timers (some are years old with no failures)
Now they are showing red and ready to send to the pvr.

Weird and worrying issue icetv, If we can't rely on icetv being accurate and correcly recording what's the point in paying for icetv. 

I only discovered these errors by accident as my wife asked me to set a new series recording.
Post by: prl on October 30, 2012, 10:08:16 AM
If we can't rely on icetv bing accurate and correcly recording what's the point in paying for icetv. 
You mean as in "Never miss your favourite show again (http://www.icetv.com.au/)"?
Post by: futzle on November 03, 2012, 06:39:19 PM
I've got one of these now on my account (futzle): NCIS on TEN at 20.35 on Tuesday 6 November (device EyeTV).

I'm going to deliberately not touch it and leave it in its unexpected state (grey) so you people at IceTV can investigate.  You've got until midday Tuesday before I force it to schedule—I'll get in big trouble if it fails to record.
Post by: Nixay on November 04, 2012, 03:32:29 PM
I've also got series for new eps of NCIS to record on Tuesday night but with the grey circles.

It missed recording two weeks ago, last week only recorded because I manually set it from the PVR.  This week looks like it'll fail again unless I standby at the PVR.  I tried to update the series as previous posters have, but this hasn't had any effect.
Post by: grampus on November 04, 2012, 05:48:19 PM
Mine is greyed out as well.
Not shown in my PVR.
 I wonder if this comes about due to a change in time?
 I notice that its scheduled time is 8:35
I wonder if it started out at 8:30, and this is and end result of the time being altered.

I'll leave as is, in case Ice wish to investigate.
I can't put a time on when this sort of thing has started to occur, but I think it may have only been in the last few weeks?  Month, the grey matter goes as I have more red
Post by: futzle on November 05, 2012, 02:29:42 PM
Tonight's episode of The Mentalist (Red Dawn, not a repeat) steadfastly refuses to switch from grey to red (device EyeTV).

Attempting prl's trick of doing a no-op Update Series on ... hasn't had any effect.  Re-sending recordings for the device sent everything but that episode.

I'm going to have to manually schedule this episode but I'll try to leave it till later today in case IceTV people want to look at it.

Edit: Aaand now it's red.

Edit edit: So too has NCIS fixed itself.  Ok, IceTV, you did something.  Care to explain?
Post by: prl on November 05, 2012, 03:08:19 PM
There seems a bit of randomness going on with this. Mentalist - Red Dawn is showing a red Series Queued icon for me. The timer is set on the Beyonwiz, so it should be showing a red Series Scheduled icon, but that's another, now quite ancient, gripe I gave about IceTV, that Scheduled episodes with the timer correctly set on the Beyonwiz, stay stuck on displaying Queued in IceTV.

Perhaps IceTV could fix that in this coming update, too?
Post by: Nixay on November 06, 2012, 12:03:33 AM
My NCIS recording for tomorrow night is now showing up correctly in red and has downloaded to my Beyonwiz.
Post by: grampus on November 06, 2012, 07:47:43 AM
my NCIS has now altered to red doughnuts.
Expectation is that all will be well when the PVR wakes up for its scheduled update.
Post by: Dave at IceTV on November 06, 2012, 12:57:09 PM
Good news. The cause of this issue has been fixed now.
Post by: grampus on November 07, 2012, 06:56:43 AM
Good news. The cause of this issue has been fixed now.
Dave, thanks for the news.
Post by: prl on November 09, 2012, 12:37:42 PM
Yes, thanks Dave.
Post by: prl on November 14, 2012, 06:12:31 PM
... Mentalist - Red Dawn is showing a red Series Queued icon for me. The timer is set on the Beyonwiz, so it should be showing a red Series Scheduled icon, but that's another, now quite ancient, gripe I gave about IceTV, that Scheduled episodes with the timer correctly set on the Beyonwiz, stay stuck on displaying Queued in IceTV.

Perhaps IceTV could fix that in this coming update, too?
The recent update to IceTV Interactive doesn't seem to have helped with this. Tonight's (Nov 14) episodes of The Hamster Wheel and Red Dwarf are showing as "Queued Series" when the timer has in fact been set on the Beyonwiz.
Post by: lukem on November 14, 2012, 07:01:23 PM
Hi prl,

That would translate into that we've sent your box the timer, but for some reason the box has not provided an update as to whether it's scheduled it or not. We don't mark the timer as being scheduled if it's just delivered to the box.. we expect a return call from the box to say that it has or hasn't scheduled it.

Looking into this now, thanks for the report.
Post by: prl on November 15, 2012, 03:26:02 PM
Hi, Luke. That's how I expected that the protocol would work.

Thanks for looking into this; I've been posting about it on and off for a very long time.
Post by: prl on November 15, 2012, 04:47:43 PM
Hi, Luke. I've had another instance of the problem - Homes Under the Hammer 7TWO 22:45 tomorrow 16 Nov. Showing Queued Series, but timer set on Beyonwiz.
Post by: Daniel Hall at IceTV on November 16, 2012, 12:09:56 PM
Hi, Luke. I've had another instance of the problem - Homes Under the Hammer 7TWO 22:45 tomorrow 16 Nov. Showing Queued Series, but timer set on Beyonwiz.

Hmm, I have had a look under your account and it looks like the the start time and duration of this episode was changed on the 15th, but your Beyonwiz last contacted the server for updates on the 13th, so while it is listed as scheduled on the Beyonwiz it is more than likely for the old start time of 22:50 (and then a duration of only 70 minutes). Now that looks like the case for this particular instance, but please let me know of any others that show up (hopefully in the future) so I can check them out.
Post by: grampus on November 16, 2012, 12:18:57 PM
Hi prl,

That would translate into that we've sent your box the timer, but for some reason the box has not provided an update as to whether it's scheduled it or not. We don't mark the timer as being scheduled if it's just delivered to the box.. we expect a return call from the box to say that it has or hasn't scheduled it.

Looking into this now, thanks for the report.
I have had this a number of times as well.
But I did notice that the problem was more prevelant when I had overrun my ISP subscription limit, and had been dialled down to 64K.
I'm suggesting that the response packet may not have arrived, and there is no mechanism to retry from the server. 
Is that possible?
Post by: prl on November 18, 2012, 10:08:20 AM
Hmm, I have had a look under your account and it looks like the the start time and duration of this episode was changed on the 15th, but your Beyonwiz last contacted the server for updates on the 13th, so while it is listed as scheduled on the Beyonwiz it is more than likely for the old start time of 22:50 (and then a duration of only 70 minutes). Now that looks like the case for this particular instance, but please let me know of any others that show up (hopefully in the future) so I can check them out.
Thanks, Daniel. Yes, we're out of our house while renovations are being done, so I only have intermittent connections to IceTV via mobile broadband (iiNet).

However, I've had this same problem on my normal ADSL always-on connection.

We'll be back home later in the week, and I'll report any more of these oddities once our network situation has normalised.
Post by: prl on December 01, 2012, 10:51:57 AM

Hi, Daniel. I'm back home and our Beyonwizes are now connected to their usual ADSL setup.

I've seen a couple of cases now where there's a "Queued" icon on IceTV, but there is already a timer for the show on the Beyonwiz. In both cases, when I looked carefully at what was going on, there was a time change in the schedule, and the timer on the Beyonwiz, while it existed, was for a different time from the (new) time on IceTV. As soon as the Beyonwiz had updated through IceTV the Beyonwiz timer was updated and the IceTV icon changed from Queued to Scheduled after a refresh in My Shows.

That all agrees with your description of what might be happening. Thanks for the assistance - this is an oddity that has been bugging me (unnecessarily, it seems) for some time. We only power up our Beyonwizes when they are being used for something, so any schedule changes that happen while they're off will show up as a Queued recording until they next update.