IceTV Forum

IceTV Guide for IceTV enabled PVRs => Humax => Topic started by: lespato on December 21, 2011, 04:24:11 PM

Title: New firmware Humax
Post by: lespato on December 21, 2011, 04:24:11 PM
Hi

The December firware for the Humax has been released. I updated my Humax last night and now I can play the files on my external drive. The files I copied pre firware update didn't play but everything I copy now plays great with full control. I think the version number is 1.05.00.

Les
Title: Re: New firmware Humax
Post by: Dave at IceTV on December 21, 2011, 07:02:03 PM
Where did you find it? It's not available via the TV Portal or from the download page.

Can you check what version you have on the Humax.
Go to "Menu > Settings > System > System Information" and not the last 5 numbers of the 2nd line, 'Software Version'.
Post by: lespato on December 21, 2011, 07:51:35 PM
Hi Dave

I checked last night as I knew there was a new version coming. I got it from the portal. I selected update software and it said there was a new version available. Version 1.05.00 so I downloaded it and it installed. When I go to System information under software version it says UHTF 1.05.00.
As I mentioned in my earlier post it fixed my problems with my external drive.

Les
Post by: Dave at IceTV on December 21, 2011, 09:23:06 PM
Thanks Les,

You're either lucky or being used as a guinea pig because it's not there now  :-\   
Post by: lespato on December 22, 2011, 02:22:15 PM
Hi Dave

I downloaded it on Tuesday around 5.00 PM. I keep checking every so often and I found it then. It has fixed my external drive problems.

Les
Post by: lespato on December 22, 2011, 03:01:15 PM
Hi again Dave

I have taken a picture of my system info and attached it. First time I have tried to attach a picture. I checked the portal a few minutes ago and it is back to the old version software. Guess I loged in at the right time.

Les
Post by: Dave at IceTV on December 22, 2011, 07:48:57 PM
I'm jealous. I wanted 1.05 for xmas  :(
Post by: chucky252 on December 24, 2011, 08:38:53 AM

Hi lespato,
Have you stored the 1.05 firmware somewhere for you to share it? I assume you just did auto update ?
It is not visible anywhere and could easily fix my external HDD problems.
Anyway ...i will wait.The external disk is not so important luckily.
Post by: lespato on December 24, 2011, 08:54:31 AM
Hi chucky252

By the reply you gave me on your External hdd post I am quite surprised you don't have the tech knowledge to write your own firmware. But don't worry we all have to start somewhare.

Les
Post by: chucky252 on December 24, 2011, 09:29:22 AM
Good one les,
Had this coming but no...i am not up to writing my own software,only saying after i read your post: this firmare could be what i need to fix my problem.
Post by: lespato on December 24, 2011, 10:18:20 AM
Hi chucky252

I emailed Humax a while ago and they advised me there was a software update coming in December so I kept randomly checking the portal and there website when on the computer. I checked the portal last Tuesday around 5.00 PM and saw there was an update to 1.05.00 so I updated through the portal. I don’t know if the new update was even on their website. When I checked there site it was the previous software they had there. I don't know why they have taken it down but all I do know is the PVR has never run better. I have full control of the external drive.

Les
Post by: chucky252 on December 24, 2011, 04:41:43 PM
Thanks Les,

Thats good to know and as i said with the Seagate disk i have I have no problems,it was even formated on the Toppy 7160 ( also Linux based Ext.3) and plays on the Toppy as well as on the Humax.Other brands don't work with me but i must admit i don't have a WD drive like you use...it may well work.
These STB all have their own little illnesses.My Toppy for arguments sake won't take any USB flash drive and is very fussy .
Another point is the Humax site some of the links don't even work, that shouldn't not be like this.It makes a brand look amateurish.
And the fact that you got the firmware update ( good luck to you) and others can't is also a sign of weak administration or carelessness ??? Dave told me to go and get the new Firmware 1.05 but it told me ( the Humax did) when going through the portal to update it: You got the newest firmware already.(1.04)
Now you see why the machine has come down in price so much because
 A: it isn't worth it and
 B: the support for it is wonky.
Anyway i had my little whinge and will have to make the best of it .
Regards
Joe

Post by: lespato on December 24, 2011, 05:37:05 PM
Hi Joe

You are correct in what you say about Humax support. To start with the book has to be re written. It doesn’t go into enough detail especially about transferring files and so on. I believe it is a good product but falls down on support. To put up a new firmware update and then take it away is certainly weird. I can’t see any reason for it. I wish I had the 1.05.00 file on my computer I would certainly share it with you. I have been looking to see if there is a way to back up the firmware to a disc like can be done with motherboard bios.  I have been following the forums in Europe and the UK and Humax has a good name as far as I see.

The Topfield is a good pvr. I still have my old Masterpiece 5000 hooked up but file transfer using Altair was very slow. I have had doubts after purchasing the Humax whether I should have got the Toppy. But as you said they all have their illnesses.
I have used various flavours of Linux over the years and I like the Ext.3 file system but now the Ext.4 file system is even better. I don’t think the PVR’s have caught up to Ext.4 yet.

Anyhow Joe everyone is entitled to have a whinge when something frustrates them.

Happy Holidays.

Les
Post by: chucky252 on December 24, 2011, 08:31:04 PM
Hi lespato,
All the best to you too for the festive season and a Happy New Year.
Let's hope the shares pick up and the firmwares will come in thick and fast in 2012.
Regards
Joe
Post by: rangerian on December 26, 2011, 07:47:05 PM
Oh this is B.S.

I have been stuffing around with an external HD and cannot get the Humax 7500 to read NTFS formated drives. I did manage to get a USB key drive formatted as FAT32 to transfer a 1.5gb .TS file to my laptop. But once there Mpeg Streamclip says the file format (.TS) is unsupported!!!

Currently running 1.04.00 firmware.

Blown about five hours of stuffing around, now I read Humax put out a patch and then pulled it. Why cant something just WORK as per the sales blarb?!!!
Post by: rangerian on December 27, 2011, 09:24:22 AM
As a postscript to my last post,

I have been using a Toppy 6000 for donkeys now and decided it was time for an upgrade, the Humax 7500 1TB with lifetime ICETV seemed like the obvious choice.

The ICE TV sales rep assured me the Humax would do exactly the same file copy, edit as I currently enjoy on the Topfield. So I put my order in and the unit arrived in a couple of days.

Finally having the time to sit down and test the external HD transfer and file editing, I have hit a brick wall.

So I am asking the ICETV crew, how do you copy and edit .TS recordings from the Humax?
I was told by the lady ICETV rep on the phone that this IS possible, thats why I went ahead and ordered.

Post by: chucky252 on December 27, 2011, 09:36:30 AM
Hi rangerian,
The external disk affair is nothing new.If you have a Video on your HDD that is NTFS formatted the Humax will see it and you can replay it but can't fast forward nor rewind the video.
Lespato reckons he got the new firmware 1.05 and it fixed his problem but it is not available now...who knows?
Bad customer support.
The file you got down is indeed a ts file which needs too be run through "Videoredo"a program that converts from any transport stream  (tp,trp,ts) to mpeg2.Unfortunately if you want to transport files to your PC this is the hard way as transferiing them via FTP is a bit easier.
Post by: prl on December 27, 2011, 03:51:56 PM
... But once there Mpeg Streamclip says the file format (.TS) is unsupported!!! ...
Do you get a popup saying "File open error: unsupported file type"? I get that on Beyonwiz TS files using MPEG Streamclip for Mac, but if you click on Open Anyway, they open correctly. Go figure. It may be because they don't start at any recognisable point in the stream. I've also seen "One or more transport streams have a bad size. Do you want to open them anyway?" Again, clicking on Open opens the file without problems.

YMMV.
Post by: chucky252 on December 28, 2011, 08:43:44 AM
Hi,
You need to format the external disk on the Humax.  Go to Systems and find Storage and go to the external one and format it.If you are lucky it will format to what i read Ext.3. Only then is the drive usable to read from and write to.
When i try to format a drive ( external ) on my Humax it tells me : Cannot format drive ,internal error??????? what internal error?.
Bad software, nothing else.
Once you buy the machine they don't want to know you and don't want to take the machine back,no wonder as they would be stuck with it.

Post by: chucky252 on December 28, 2011, 08:52:01 AM
Hi lespato,
I got a feeling they have ( Humax forum) barred me from sending posts,they are as bad as the Topfield forum,if one says the truth they just bar you.
Well anyway ,not the end of the world.
Regards
Joe
Post by: lespato on December 29, 2011, 09:39:45 AM
Hi chucky252

I had a look on the Humax site but I can't find a forum there. Why don't you try sending them an email. I have emailed them a couple of times and got a response. Give it a go you have nothing to loose.

Best wishes.
Les
Post by: prl on December 29, 2011, 10:04:46 AM
It may help to say which forum. I found a number when I Googled for "humax forum":

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=119
http://myhumax.org/forum/
http://www.humax-zone.net/forum/portal.php
http://forum.digitalfernsehen.de/forum/humax/ (German spoken here)
http://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/humax-hd/
http://www.amazon.co.uk/forum/humax
http://ziggo-gebruikers.nl/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=190 (Dutch spoken here)
http://www.techwatch.co.uk/forums/humax/

and that's just from the first page of results!
Post by: Dave at IceTV on December 29, 2011, 03:24:31 PM
I'm sure Joe (chucky) is referring to this forum. His problem is that he can log in and read topics, but when he posts any replies they don't appear, and his account does not list any posts made by him. Obviously he must have found a temporary way around it because he was able to post here about the problem.

I am going to get our developers to look into it when they return from the break.
Post by: chucky252 on December 29, 2011, 03:44:32 PM
Your external disk needs to be formated on the Humax not in Windows with NTFS.
In system/storage go to the second hard disk,the external one and format it.
I personally can't do that as when it is finished it tells me( the Humax) Error of some sort,forgot the exact wording.
So therefor3 my external HDD does not see the Humax once i format it with an error.
But as our Administrator Dave said,a new firmware update might well fix that or not,we will see once it is available  (1.05)
Joe
Post by: lespato on December 29, 2011, 05:53:28 PM
Hi prl

I have seen those forums you listed. They are mostly UK and European forums. I was looking for a local Humax forum on there OZ website. Something dealing with local issues.

Les
Post by: prl on December 29, 2011, 06:43:46 PM
Hi, lespato. My mail was more directed to chucky252, buy Dave at IceTV may have the answer anyway.
Post by: chucky252 on January 02, 2012, 04:00:42 PM
Yes prl,
It was the Aussie forum where i can't post.Joe
Post by: chucky252 on January 04, 2012, 10:34:03 AM
OK, what you do is format the HDD external to FAT32 then it is formattable on the Humax to its own filesystem.9 System/Storage)

Also when transfering a film to the PC it won't show unless you run the file through the program VIDEREDO ( must buy it) and convert file into any other transport stream including Mpeg2.Then you can play it on the PC.
I found that using UNPN is the best way to see a film from your PC HDD via newtwork,not mucking around with external HDD's.
Hope this message goes through today as all the others went into .....who knows?
Joe
Post by: lespato on January 04, 2012, 04:59:38 PM
Hi chucky252

I use Videoredo also. It's a nice piece of software. Its worth the money.

Les
Post by: chucky252 on January 05, 2012, 03:19:47 PM
I have had problems posting in the Humax forum soi am giving it another try.
Joe
Post by: rangerian on January 06, 2012, 01:50:26 PM
Just spoke to Humax tech support. They said Ver 1.05 was released last night (Thu 5th Jan). So try a manual update today and lets see if it fixes all our external HD woes.
Post by: rangerian on January 09, 2012, 09:46:23 AM
1.05 is no better.

Humax now formats ext HD to Linux 3 then crashes when you try to copy files from the internal HD.

Thinking of dumping my new Humax 7500
Post by: prl on January 09, 2012, 11:29:11 AM
Linux 3 file system format? I assume you mean Linux ext3?

As for dumping it, you should have a look at some of the bugs (http://www.beyonwiz.com.au/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=1488#1488) in the early releases of Beyonwiz firmware (the link refers to 2007 vintage software, Beyonwiz PVRs are now pretty solid). I had some similar types of experience with early Topfield 7000 firmware (I was a beta tester for both, but am no longer a Topfield beta tester). Many PVRs get released too early in their software development, presumably in a drive to get to market early. It wouldn't surprise me much if the same was true of the Humax.

Have you tried formatting the external HDD, then shutting down completely (mains power off) and then restarting before trying the copy? The mains power off suggestion is because I have no idea what the various power saving settings do to the Humax's state in its standby mode. I don't own one.

Surely it would be better to ask about problems like this in a dedicated Humax forum, rather than the Humax area on the IceTV forum, since this sort of problem really has nothing to do with IceTV at all.
Post by: rangerian on January 09, 2012, 12:55:02 PM

Surely it would be better to ask about problems like this in a dedicated Humax forum, rather than the Humax area on the IceTV forum, since this sort of problem really has nothing to do with IceTV at all.

Thanks Peter. Nothing to do with IceTV at all???

Er, the invoice is on ICETV letterhead . ICETV is plastered all over the Humax box. The sales rep who sold me the Humax is from ICETV. Hello!?
Post by: prl on January 09, 2012, 01:42:53 PM

Thanks Peter. Nothing to do with IceTV at all???

Er, the invoice is on ICETV letterhead . ICETV is plastered all over the Humax box. The sales rep who sold me the Humax is from ICETV. Hello!?
It's nothing to do with the operation of IceTV's TV Guide services. It is in the forum section "IceTV Guide for IceTV enabled PVRs". Of course, if you bought your Humax from IceTV, then you have call on IceTV  support. Which this isn't, really. The only response from IceTV support in this topic wasn't anything to do with the Humax firmware and/or hardware problems being posted about.

I'm just saying that  is you want to talk about specifically Humax hardware or firmware problems, this may not be the best forum. It's really intended for discussion of the interaction between the various PVRs, including Humax, and the IceTV Guide and recording services. Other forums may get your problems exposed to a wider range of Humax users.
Post by: swamprat96 on January 14, 2012, 04:57:25 PM
Of course the problem right now is that there is no other forum that I can find for these devices. There is a thread on Whirlpool but thats about all I can find. It would be good if Humax themselves started an Australian Forum
Post by: prl on January 14, 2012, 05:13:16 PM
There's a Humax 7500 (http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=95519) topic in the PVRs, DVRs, HDD & DVD Recorders area on the DTV Forum (http://www.dtvforum.info/). DTV is an Australian forum.

It's not as good as a dedicated forum for the manufacturer (whether manufacturer-supported or not), but at least it's a start.

After you sign up, you have to have at least 5 posts in DTV before you can start a topic. There's a topic on DTV specifically for
getting your post count up (http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=67990) to the minimum necessary to create topics.
Post by: swamprat96 on January 14, 2012, 05:16:16 PM
Thanks. I didn't find that before. I am a member from my old HTPC days so I'll check it out