NineHD starts 17th March 2008

Started by Kirben, March 10, 2008, 10:25:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kirben

According to article on Australia Financial Review web site:
PBL Media's Nine Network will launch a high-definition digital channel on March 17, offering time-shifted versions of its key news and entertainment shows and some new programs. And the Seven And Ten networks are adding new programs to their high-definition channels, which went to air in October and December respectively and will cost each network about $5 million in the first year.

Hopefully the situation for NineHD schedule can be handled better, keeping customers more informed on what is going to happen.

Mitch IceGuide

IceGuide will not be displaying any Nine-HD Guide information until some weeks after they commence broadcasting. Most of you know the some of the reasons. And sir, until you truly know what is involved, I'd appreciate many of your comments on our staff efficiency being kept to yourself. I remind you again this forum is for information exchange and problem solving - not your constant barrage of negativity. Please desist from these types of posts.

kheven

Mitch: Would you be kind enough to let me know, or point me in the direction of, why it is that you aren't able to post the channel information prior to the launch of new channels? I missed it first time around  :-[

bigdan

That would be due to the networks not providing IceTV with their own program schedules, so they actually have to watch the channel to figure out what is airing when and work out the patterns. Not to mention a certain court case that Nine lost. ;)

Correct me if I'm wrong...

This doesn't bother me so much...NBN (the Channel Nine station up here) haven't even started digital transmissions in the Upper Hunter yet, whereas everyone else has...so IceTV can take all the time they want.  :D
Big Dan - finally got NBN and One HD in the Upper Hunter.

kheven

Thanks bigdan. That partially answers the question  ;)

Matt at IceTV

Hi guys,

QuoteThat would be due to the networks not providing IceTV with their own program schedules

This is correct.

IceTV receives no support from any of the commercial TV Networks in Australia, especially from Channel Nine. This is extremely frustrating as in most other countries around the world, TV networks openly support independent third party EPG providers like IceTV.

As a result, there will be a short delay in providing program information for the new NineHD channel within our own EPG (approxiamately 2-3 weeks after the start of full strength programming).

IceTV & Channel Nine have been and still are in an ongoing legal battle regarding IceTV's delivery of an independant EPG service. On the 9th August, 2007 the Federal Court ruled in favour of IceTV in the case brought against IceTV in May 2006 by the Nine Network. Nine had claimed that IceTV’s electronic program guide infringed copyright in its television schedule.

In a convincing win, the whole of the Nine Network’s application was dismissed, with the court finding that IceTV did not and does not in any way breach Nine’s copyright in creating its IceTV Guide, which is an “independent compilation” built using IceTV’s own proprietary methodology and software applications.

IceTV was awareded costs but Nine has since appealed the decision and is attempting to have it overruled. For more information on the case and a copy of the judgment, click here http://www.icetv.com.au/news/?p=44. IceTV will update all subscribers as soon as a decision has been made regarding the Appeal.

Unlike many other EPG providers, we independantly compile our own EPG from the ground up and this methodoly has been supported in the above judgment. We employ a Guide Team that physically researches each TV show on FTA TV and who write original synopsis and program information for each. The Guide Team then compiles different EPG's for each region covered by the IceTV service across Australia, week upon week. Many other EPG services simply 'scrape' EPG data from the TV Network's websites and therefore are in serious breach of copyright.

Quoteso they actually have to watch the channel to figure out what is airing when and work out the patterns

Although very general... this is also true... and as a result, the above mentioned delay is essential to allow us time to compile our own guide for this channel, preventing any further possible legal ramifications from Nine.

We apologise for any inconvenience this short delay in coverage may cause & thank you all in advance for your patience.

Cheers,

Matt

General Manager
IceTV Pty
1300 654 803

bigdan

Quote from: mattk on March 11, 2008, 02:21:53 PM
Although very general... this is also true... and as a result, the above mentioned delay is essential to allow us time to compile our own guide for this channel, preventing any further possible legal ramifications from Nine.

Well...I do tend to over simplify and generalise things.  :P
Big Dan - finally got NBN and One HD in the Upper Hunter.

kheven

mattk: thnx for the full story!  :D
if i was icetv and was thinking about channel nine, i'd pull a face like this -->  >:(

fang

For those of you interested as to what is on NineHD this week (and at what time), there is some information at this website:
     http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2008/03/9hd-guide-invasion-taken-e-ring.html
  :)

neilius

Quote from: mattk on March 11, 2008, 02:21:53 PM
IceTV & Channel Nine have been and still are in an ongoing legal battle regarding IceTV's delivery of an independant EPG service. On the 9th August, 2007 the Federal Court ruled in favour of IceTV in the case brought against IceTV in May 2006 by the Nine Network. Nine had claimed that IceTV’s electronic program guide infringed copyright in its television schedule.

Perhaps those of us who think that the Nein Network is being unreasonable with their continued legal action should write to them and let them know what we think of their actions.  If enough people write, then surely they will see that they're alienating their audience.

Nem

Looks as though 9 Darwin has finally caught up and decided to broadcast separate programming, albeit halfway through my scheduled SD program!  ::)
Device: Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Beyonwiz DP-P1
Region: Darwin NT
RSS: Firefox 3 with RSS Ticker plugin

Kirben

No announcements about NineHD via email or forums, and I wouldn't have even noticed the news post on the web site, if marc hadn't mentioned it on the Australian Media Centre Community forums.

A month has passed (IceTV TV guide is up to 17th April 2008), with still no sign of a proper TV guide for the NineHD channel. The TV guide for TenHD was added after a month, so I was expecting similar amount of time.

Any updates on what is happening? or when exactly we can expect a proper TV guide for the NineHD channel?

I'm hoping I will be able to set Taken mini series to record, instead of manually each week, before the series ends.

Daniel Hall at IceTV

The 9HD guide listings are being added to the guide now, as the guide is being done a week in advance this means that you should be seeing the 9HD guide from next Thursday onwards.

We will have an official announcement out next week.
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.

Kirben

Good to finally have accurate NineHD TV guide, and just in time for next weeks episode of Taken :)