Our World in HD / HD Docs

Started by whitford, February 15, 2008, 09:10:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitford

I love wathing channel 10 HD documentaries. The first few weeks was perfect with the shows called "Our World in HD" and has the title of the shows as the subtitile. I can schedule a series recording using my vista media center.

In the past week however, you guys have changed the title to either HD Docs or separate title.

Is it possible if you keep it as something the same - no new titles each time - like HD Docs, or our world in HD, and just keep the subtitle as the title of the show, therefore I can actually schedule a series recording and doesn't have to keep finding the show and click record.

Thanks...

Jason W

Oh, so that's why I haven't had any HD docos recorded lately? Back to reading the guide I guess :(

I might have to look into how to setup a schedule for all documentaries on Ten HD with Myth. At worst, a small shell script should do the trick :)

The purist pedantic in me thinks the new title/subtitles for documentaries is the best way to go. Ideally it'd be great if there were tags in the feed which PVRs could subscribe to as well as program titles.

As far as the renaming from "Our World in HD" to "HD Docos", should this have been posted to the forum so we would know to update our schedules?

whitford

Still waiting for a response from ICETV people here...... Why can't we put all the documentaries under 1 TITLE - like it used to be in the first week - and using the subtitle for the titles.... It was great!! as I could do a scheduled series recording then... Now each time I have to find the docos one by one... so.. annoying...

philzgr8

In fairness to Ice, while I agree with the sentiment, it does cause something of a precedent. If the channels advertise a program a certain way then it should be fine for Ice to list them that way. The problem comes when the station changes the way they name that content. I'm guessing but I would have thought that would have involved a significant level of additional manual intervention to pick it up and rectify it. Much as I'd like to see it back the way it was too, I can't see it happening unless channel ten go back to promoting it that way. In the end, I'm beginning to suspect that there's a significant amount of automation somewhere in the program naming process and it seems to get mucked up somehow by the source information altering slightly from time to time. For instance, I noticed the other day that I have two series recordings for The Vicar of Dibley. One is with "The" on the front and the other is without. My suspicion is that this is something that has changed in the source data.

Mitch IceGuide

Hi. The delay in answering wasn't intentional, thanks for your patience. There was for many years a program on Ch.7 called 'World Around Us' as most of you would remember. As you would also know, this was simply a 'top & tail' hosting of a documentary by some fading 7 star. We scheduled it as World Around Us with the doco program name as the episode. Whilst that scenario may have worked fine, recording wise, it has created headaches down the track when that format is dumped and the docos are being rescheduled using original names. (Totally Australia is another example on TEN and for now we're sticking with it until they inevitably change it one day).

I thought we could get away with using the same approach to 'Our World in HD'. Two problems with that. One was, they soon changed some of them to 'HD Docos' and secondly, many of the programs turned out to have episode titles themselves. I.E. Megastructures - World Island Wonder. When this is rescheduled later not under the banner 'HD Docos', we will be faced with many 'Magastructure' programs with the episode incorporated into the main title. Obviously no series record will be possible then. There are many examples of this, many of which we work out before they're an issue. An obvious example is calling something like a Tsunami program ....'Seven News Special'. We don't.

So, our plan is to schedule these programs under their true names. Thanks for the feedback and thanks for understanding that it's not always Ice just playing with names to make life difficult. Who can understand the bizarre decisions often made by Networks. I can't, and I worked in one for 20 years.

Jason W

True names are definitely the correct thing to do. Thanks for the explanation.

Will "HD Docos" disappear (if it hasn't already)?

Mitch IceGuide

Yes it will. Sometimes it is near impossible to determine in advance what documentary will be played and in these cases a 'TBA' will be inserted. Cheers.