ICE Sports Series Descriptions - Should the year be Removed from the Main Title?

Started by dJOS, February 12, 2008, 09:06:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should ICE remove the Year from Sports Series Main Title and put it in the Sub-Title?

Yes - Year on Year Series recording is easier this way
13 (81.3%)
No - It's just fine the way it is
3 (18.8%)

Total Members Voted: 15

dJOS

Pretty Simple Poll folks, If you would like more info please see this Topic I started:

http://www.icetv.com.au/iceforum/index.php?topic=945.0

Essentially tho I see the problem as this, the practice of putting the year in the main title of sports series forces us to create year by year series recordings and having to keep an eye out for them in the guide, this defeats the point series recordings.

ICE dont do it for the "Cricket: One Day Cricket International" or "Extreme Sport: Planet X Summer Games", but they do it to other sports series like Motor Sports, Cycling, Soccer and so on.
My Home Theatre Project

Quad Tuner 7MC box now replaced by 2x TiVo's HD's by order of the Wife!

philzgr8

Yes I think it would be easier if they left the year out of the title. That way the user can decide for themself whether or not to stop recording a series rather than have the decision made for them every year.

com5984

Quote from: djos on February 12, 2008, 09:06:54 AM
Pretty Simple Poll folks, If you would like more info please see this Topic I started:

http://www.icetv.com.au/iceforum/index.php?topic=945.0

Essentially tho I see the problem as this, the practice of putting the year in the main title of sports series forces us to create year by year series recordings and having to keep an eye out for them in the guide, this defeats the point series recordings.

ICE dont do it for the "Cricket: One Day Cricket International" or "Extreme Sport: Planet X Summer Games", but they do it to other sports series like Motor Sports, Cycling, Soccer and so on.

Agreed it can't be that hard

Netweb

Yes, Agreed, it would make recoding series options that little bit better.

dJOS

Well so far 88% of respondents (small amount of voters i'll admit) are in favour of removing the date from the main tite and instead placing it in the sub title .... how about it Ice folk?
My Home Theatre Project

philzgr8

Mitch IceGuide

I cannot go stripping titles out of all programs. This will affect many users who don't use this forum. This is something that can only be done gradually. And IS being done gradually. As for the NASCAR 'issue', a date was never included in title anyway. It is still highly recommended to scan the Guides occassionally for all kinds of reasons. I don't think the technology ever promised that you'd never have to look at another Guide in your life again.

dJOS

Re: Dates (the year), all we are asking for is that the date be moved into the sub-title like it is for cricket. If you were to make it a standard and email your customers of this then there should be no issues.

In fact how about making a publicly available list of "formatting standards" that ice adhere to available to customers so we know what to expect?

RE: NASCAR, frankly this situation is not good enough - as mentioned by myself on a number of occasions, there are 3 distinct series however only 2 of them are being broadcast by 10 on their HD channel. The 2 series are "Sprint Cup Series" and the "Nationwide Series", all other sports listed in the ICE Guide are by Series (when they aren't 1 off events) so can ICE please sort this?

eg. The Camping World 300 was part of the "Nationwide Series" and the "Daytona 500" was part of the "Sprint Cup Series".

All of this info is freely available on NASCAR.com or Wikipedia or any of a 100 other NASCAR fan sites.

I and many other paying ICE customers would like to be able to set series recordings for either 1 or both of the 2 NASCAR series and until ICE start titling NASCAR events properly (eg just like any other series ICE have previously shown in their guide) paying ICE customers cant do this!

eg:

Title: Motor Sport: NASCAR Nationwide Series
Subtitle:  2008 Camping World 300 at Daytona International Speedway
Description: NASCAR Nationwide Series for 2008 starts in Daytona for the Orbitz 300.

and

Title: Motor Sport: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series
Subtitle: 2008 Daytona 500 at Daytona International Speedway
Description: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series for 2008 starts with the classic Daytona 500.

I really cant imagine why this wasn't done in the first place?
My Home Theatre Project

dJOS

I just found another NASCAR race in the schedule:

Motor Sport: NASCAR - Stater Brothers 300
(HDTV)
Sun 24 Feb  11:00 AM - 2:00 PM    100 Ten HD
Sport/Motor Sport 

can you please, please stop making each race an "event"? we cant make series recordings because of this practice!

it should be listed like this:

Motor Sport: NASCAR - Nationwide Series
Stater Brothers 300
The Stater Brothers 300 is the second race on the NASCAR Nationwide Series schedule. It is held in February at California Speedway. It was previously ran in October and late April/early May. (HDTV)
Sun 24 Feb  11:00 AM - 2:00 PM    100 Ten HD
Sport/Motor Sport 

It took me 1 Google search on "Stater Brothers 300" to find this information!!

Seriously guy's im asking for changes that will improve the ICE TV service for Media Center users who dont have the luxury of TED/S for the Toppy 5000 which can have series records based on keywords combined with logic algorithms.

My Home Theatre Project

philzgr8

Quote from: Mitch IceGuide on February 18, 2008, 10:18:02 AM
I cannot go stripping titles out of all programs. This will affect many users who don't use this forum. This is something that can only be done gradually. And IS being done gradually. As for the NASCAR 'issue', a date was never included in title anyway. It is still highly recommended to scan the Guides occassionally for all kinds of reasons. I don't think the technology ever promised that you'd never have to look at another Guide in your life again.
Seriously Mitch, did you really read what this thread is about. It has nothing to do with stripping out titles. You have got this year thing right in some places but wrong in others. Surely it's not that hard is it?

Mitch IceGuide

If it wasn't hard someone else would have done it. Some issues / problems may appear to be a simple tweak to you and I understand that. However, I don't have time to give full technical (or otherwise) reasons why I give answers and certainly don't purposely 'make things difficult'. If you look back on many threads in this forum, you'll note where most suggestions are 'taken on board' and addressed. Since IceGuide started, there have been many and varied changes in the technology of the PVR's, which has, by neccessity meant changes to the Guide. Needs and wants change with 'advancement' in PVR technology. If we didn't care - we wouldn't have this forum. So, scan the guide every now and then and be patient. The advantages and time-saving features of the IceeGuide are still, and always will be many.

philzgr8

Mitch,
I'm well aware that there are technical issues here but if you can't explain them then we can't be expected to know exactly what they are or how complex they are. The point was that you appear to be doing it one way in some places and differently in others. I would have thought it's reasonable to expect consistency in things like this. If it's not then I don't think it's too much to ask that people be given a simple explanation.

dJOS

I agree.

I also understand that such a blanket change would require giving some notice to ICE customers. I propose that ICE send out an email (just like the ABC1 changes email) advising customers that ICE will be listing all sporting series in X format to facilitate those using series record from X date and to please check any series recording you may have configured to ensure they continue to function after X date.
My Home Theatre Project

GarFin

Another vote for change. I cannot believe it was set this way in the first place.