MCE Rollup 2 testing with IceGuide

Started by jgrouse, September 19, 2005, 04:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffreyk

have tried this and all ok.  what would ALWAYS cause me problems before was just flicking between channels, have not had a problem yet with the guide data not asigned to a channel.

jeffreyk

ok, had the guide disabled from yesterday to this afternoon and everything worked great.  As soon as i enable the guide this afternoon channels disapeared.

Has the guide data format changed for rollup 2?  If yes, any ETA on guide data for rollup 2?

Thanks

jeffreyk

is anyone having any luck with rollup2 and guide data?

Shane

Jeffrey,

So far my testing has shown the same as you - with guide data loaded channels drop off my channel list. Without guide data the channels remain - I have tested by setting "time" based recordings on each channel (ala good old VCR land) and I can record as much as I want and the channel info remains fine.

Load guide data in and the channels begin to disappear. It may be a coincidence but it is still worth the Ice guys checking out I think.

Regards,
Shane.
Shuttle SB83G5M (P4 630 nVidia 6600) running Vista Premium with:
Hauppauge Nova-T 500 MCE Tuner|Ice TV Guide|PIMP|Buffalo LinkStation HD-H160LAN & HD-HG300LAN|Xbox 360 MCE

jeffreyk

i've been able to keep it sort of stable now.  i have setup the guide, and it keeps working until the next time the guide is updated.  at this point things become unstable so i reboot the system and everything is good again until the guide updates.

pvogel

This seems to be a much-reported bug in rollup 2, the European forums have been discussing exactly the same issue.  Looks like DVB-T and guide are a fatal combination for Emerald R2 at the moment.  We believe Microsoft are working on a fix.

If anyone knows of a workaround we'd be pleased to try it!!

Peter

pvogel

There is also a lengthy discussion about the Emerald-loses-channels issue at http://www.xpmediacentre.com.au/community/showthread.php?t=3157

Peter

pvogel

Looks like a patch for Rollup 2 has been issued by Microsoft which should fix the problem of Emerald losing guide and/or channels:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/908250

Any reports from users greatly appreciated.

Peter

Shane

I can say without a doubt that all of the issues I had previously have gone with this update for Rollup 2 from Microsoft. Everything is working perfectly now.

Regards,
Shane.
Shuttle SB83G5M (P4 630 nVidia 6600) running Vista Premium with:
Hauppauge Nova-T 500 MCE Tuner|Ice TV Guide|PIMP|Buffalo LinkStation HD-H160LAN & HD-HG300LAN|Xbox 360 MCE

BJReplay

:)
As per scritch's comment - all good now (after banging my head against the ATI 9700 AIW brick wall - MCE now recognises the analog tuner in this - but fails to initialise it.  I've uninstalled and reinstalled my DTV drivers about 15 times, before "just in case" disabling the ATI tuner.

erundmc

QuoteOk, I finally got my hands on the OEM USA rollup 2 (I think the internal date is 8/8/05) and installed it last night.  

After that I re-installed IceGuide and ran through the whole guide setup from scratch.  Deleted all the existing channels before I scanned.  On first scan it froze at 60% but picked up 7,9,10 and all these D44 channels plus the radio channels.  After the second scan I think I ended up with about 44 channels.  

Edited and then sorted the channel order.   After I saved I tried to assign the guide channel names to the MCE channel names but it didn't list any guide channel names to assign.  I then had a message saying that it had an issue downloading the guide so I forced a guild download which worked fine.  I then went into assign the guide data to the channels and for some reason all the channels were back to the way they were directly after the scan so I closed MCE and stopped/started the Scheduler service.  After going back into MCE I went through and did a basic edit of the channels which then seemed to save them ok and the guide channels were now available to be assigned to the correct channels.  Although, for some reason when I was editing the channels I did have ABC on 2 and selected but when I went in to assign the guide to it ABC was nowhere to be seen so I ended up selecting an ABC channel that was further down the list of channels and moved it up to the second slot.  This worked ok.

Even though the scheduled recording vanished for a while they did eventually re-appear and all seemed ok as I headed out the door to work this morning.  Will need to do more channel sorting when I get home as all these odd D44 channels and the radio channels are making a mess of the guide page.  Would be nice if it was smart enough to really treat the DVB radio channels as radio rather than TV.  Should be under the main menu Radio option away from the TV stations.

HD audio was not working at first but after I re-installed the beta Nova-T MCE drivers and rebooted all was ok.  AC3Filter is currently decoding it.  TEN HD for some reason would briefly show video but then come up with the text saying it was a radio station.  ABC HD, TEN HD, SC10 HD and SBS HD seemed to be ok but for some reason the Purevideo decoder was not showing smooth playback as it had in the past when we didn't have audio.  Tried all sorts of setting on the Nvidia decoder but still cannot make 1080i look smooth.  Seven HD actually looked ok this time around which it didn't originally.

Far cry from the mess the Emerald Beta 1 left my pc in.  The install this time had a nice MCE interface to it (even though it ran on the monitor rather than the TV screen).

If anyone is having issues with their Nova-T MCE card and Rollup 2 contact the NewMagic guys (they have a phone number on their site) and they can email you the latest drivers which have been tested under rollup 2. www.newmagic.com.au

Looking good so far...

HI - I recently (last week) downloaded RU2 from the MS website.  I experienced the problem that the IceTV will not download.  I note that you mention forcing a "guild download" in your posting.  Is this a misprint or something that I am unaware of (but desperate to try).

Thanks in advance,

erundmc