Warning 2.0.0.17 potentially breaches your privacy

Started by philzgr8, April 11, 2008, 09:42:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

philzgr8

This information is provided for information to anyone currently using version 2.0.0.17. If you value your privacy I strongly recommend you read this post over at the Aus MCE Forum http://www.xpmediacentre.com.au/community/icetv-discussion-only/28360-also-why-my-entire-media-collection-my-computer-being-logged-sent-you.html#post193275 and either downgrade to 2.0.0.16 or upgrade to 2.0.0.18

Daniel Hall at IceTV

We have recently been made aware of a problem with version 2.0.0.17 that has left users uneasy with terms of privacy.

This was for a feature that would allow you to remotely manage your recordings but this feature is not currently in our development plans and should have been removed for this version. We are absolutely not doing anything with the data and it is just being discarded at the server end.

We have removed 2.0.0.17 from our website and if you are concerned at all about the behavior of 2.0.0.17 we recommend that you downgrade to version 2.0.0.16 manually while we rectify the situation.

We are working as fast as we can on getting a new version (2.0.0.18) out that has this feature removed and we will notify all users as soon as this is available for download.

As to how this happened, the biggest issue is that development has now shifted to someone else for the IceTV Interactive application (it was previously being developed by Doug Berrett of WebGuide fame) and there is a lot of interesting code to go through to try and get some bug fixes in place.

We treat the privacy and confidentiality of our subscribers very seriously and we apologize for not having dealt with this error earlier. Rest assured we are working actively to resolve the matter.
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.

philzgr8

Thank you for your response Daniel. I trust you will be notifying all subscribers with the utmost urgency as to the seriousness of this situation.
Cheers,

Phil

Daniel Hall at IceTV

An official email response to all users possibly being affected by this issue will be sent shortly.
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.

philzgr8

Thanks again Daniel. Lets hope such things NEVER occur again.