Plea to ICE for a generic Remote device

Started by markb, December 02, 2007, 04:43:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

Quote from: markb on April 19, 2008, 08:54:37 AMMoral of the story - never believe any software estimate!
We're sorry it's been pushed out. The good news is that the IceTV Remote widgets have been using the API for a while now, so it'll be very well road tested when it does get released.

prl

Quote from: markb on April 19, 2008, 08:54:37 AM

Moral of the story - never believe any software estimate!

Or alternatively, "Software development always takes longer than you expect; even after taking this rule into account"  ;)
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

mattg

Ok so it is now June, what is the latest with the Remote API?

Marc

We're using the API ourselves for the IceTV Widgets and plan to use it for other projects. To be brutally honest, we haven't had enough community interest to make it publicly available yet.

However, if you have an interesting project that you'd to use the API for then please get in contact. We'd certainly consider granting third party developers access if the idea was something we liked and thought might be useful for the IceTV community.

futzle

Quote from: marc@iSlayer on June 26, 2008, 04:50:32 PM
We're using the API ourselves for the IceTV Widgets and plan to use it for other projects. To be brutally honest, we haven't had enough community interest to make it publicly available yet.

It's hard to know what we third-party developers could use it for when we don't know what's in the API... :)

Anyway, message sent to you through the contact form.  Thanks.

Marc

Quote from: futzle on June 27, 2008, 10:29:54 AMIt's hard to know what we third-party developers could use it for when we don't know what's in the API... :)

Anyway, message sent to you through the contact form.  Thanks.
That's a fair call.

Generally speaking, if the widget can do something, the API has enabled it (remotely record, get the most popular list, get the recommended list, etc). Hopefully that gives you a feel for the scope.

We can certainly provide more info to anyone who contacts us directly.

toppytools

Quote from: Marc-IceTV on June 26, 2008, 04:50:32 PM
To be brutally honest, we haven't had enough community interest to make it publicly available yet.
You are kidding right? You only need one clever and enthusiastic programmer to create the next great Beyonwiz/Topfield/MediaCentre EPG related application. For each device or application that supports IceTv there are at least 1/2 dozen capable programmers who could potentially develop the next TEDS type application for example. Just because they haven't contacted you it does not mean that aren't out there waiting.

deangelj

Marc

toppytools & deangelj: Thanks. That's just the type of encouragement we need. We haven't forgotten about the API and we would love to see other developers take advantage of our data and services. I'm sure the community would build some good things we may never have thought of.

deangelj

Mark - here's an example - I built this tool for the Topfield 7100 - it shows an EPG in a different layout to the one on the icetv website. I think it has a easier to read layout of programs and timers. What I'd like to do is to be able to set/change/delete timers from that screen to ice interactive which would then be scheduled to the 7100.

cheers,
john

foddrick

I wholeheartedly second or third any calls for access to the API. The interactive functionality is very cool and I know others who have it working with supported devices, and I don't want to miss out just because I have mythtv.  I'll happily make the fruits of my labour available for other mythtv users.

crispin

Ditto the above. Just because users don't clog up the forums with redundant threads about a topic doesn't mean it lacks support.  How about introducing a "poll" function (like most good forums do) so users can suggest and vote on enhancements - if you don't build the feedback tools, you won't get the feedback - which could be seen as 'convenient' for the programmers...

hubrat

Below is an e-mail I sent in last week requesting access. As yet no response but that's not surprising as I haven't had a response to any of the other e-mails I've written since the launch of PIMP and announcement of non-support for Toppy 5000's. >:(

QuoteHi IceTV,

I've been following the discussions regarding access to the API for your interactive service.

I'd like to request access to the API so that I can develop a solution for the Toppy 5000 for icebox1/2 and NSLU2 users. Incase you missed it I've also managed to get ftp working on the icebox1.

The solution I'm using at the moment through ToppyWeb and perlTGD works for me and does 90% of what I believe your interactive service does, only missing suggested programs, but has the added functionality of some device management.

This only works for me though because I have a home server I'm happy to administer. I imagine there are a lot of IceTV subscribers with Toppy 5000's that would use the interactive service if the community was given access to develop something for them.

It would also show them that they are still wanted customers. How many of the initial subscribers were Toppy 5000 users to help you gain a critical mass and stay viable? The needs of these subscribers now seem to be forgotten yet we are still required to pay the same amount as other users but get access to fewer features.

Looking forward to a response.

hubrat

futzle

Quote from: hubrat on October 02, 2008, 12:32:04 PM
Below is an e-mail I sent in last week requesting access. As yet no response but that's not surprising as I haven't had a response to any of the other e-mails I've written since the launch of PIMP and announcement of non-support for Toppy 5000's. >:(

Good on you, hubrat.  I too have received a "first base" email from IceTV, but after that everything went silent.  I've got similar goals to you: I want to be able to set timers on my TF5000+NSLU2 through IceTV Interactive.  The TF5000 is so much more reliable than the EyeTV box in the next room, which lately has been crashing every couple of weeks.

toppytools

Quote from: futzle on October 02, 2008, 01:53:02 PM
I too have received a "first base" email from IceTV, but after that everything went silent.
Ditto...